The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

28mm F2 : first sample pictures

Annna T

There is a first review of the 28mm FE here.

It is written in an exotic language, but there are several samples pictures, including brick walls showing the sharpness in the corners and a lot of other "real life" pictures. There are also several pictures taken with the two converters. The pics were shot on an A7II and the lens may not be too bad.

Sonyalpharumors has a translation of the conclusion :

Pros:
– Very sharp straight from the maximum aperture. At f/2.0 is sharp almost ont he entire frame (with very little loss on corners)
– Negligible distortion
– Very compact lens
– When using the converter EXIF data gets correctly transmitted

Disadvantages
– close focus point could be…closer
– The fisheye converter on the 28mm lens is quite heavy
– Not really a very good bokeh (but that’s something the lens is not designed for)

Good start.. But let us see more reviews before getting too excited.

Last edited:

ggibson

Looking at the cat shot, it looks to me like the minimum focus distance is actually pretty close.

Seems to be a pretty decent little lens by the looks of it! I think the bokeh looks pretty nice in most shots. Not sure if it'll find a place in my bag between the 16-35 and 55, but it looks like a good option for the system.

Annna T

Looking at the cat shot, it looks to me like the minimum focus distance is actually pretty close.

Seems to be a pretty decent little lens by the looks of it! I think the bokeh looks pretty nice in most shots. Not sure if it'll find a place in my bag between the 16-35 and 55, but it looks like a good option for the system.
I thought that the cat shot was rather soft.. May be because he was too near, hence this comment. But the bricks shot look sharp. I'm tempted by this lens if more serious reviewers (DXO, Photozone, LensTip, etc.) confirm that. I do also have the 16-35mm, but îm not sure it was a good buy for me : from 24mm to 35mm my copy of the 24-70mm does better and i'm not an ultrawide shooter. Plus it isn't light. I love the 55mm and paired with that 28mm plus either the Tamron 90mm F2.8 or the Contax G 90mm it would make a great light system..
But i'm not in a hurry, i will wait for more info.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Looks promising so far. Just the kind of lens that I would buy for the A7... if I had one :)

But that fisheye converter... as large, heavy and expensive as a separate fisheye lens more or less. The exotic language is Thai. Not so exotic where I live ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I agree Jorgen -- it is smallish in size and fastish in aperture and appears very good optically wide open down. A nice street compliment to the Mitakon 50 :D

The adapter/converters didn't do much for me though.

I'm pre-ordered so will do the obligatory posts as soon as it is released. Working to get an evaluation copy but I don't think there are any copies in the states yet.

uhoh7

Good test shots which show A7 issues are so easy to make and yet always so hard to find. For landscape work it's impossible to judge the lens at all from those shots.

Nevertheless, it's not that expensive, and if I was shooting a stock A7 of any flavor, I would order the lens.

Just for sake of comparison here is the Leica 28/2 on A7.mod:

art shed by unoh7, on Flickr

Above at around f/8 below WO:

DSC03226 by unoh7, on Flickr

and here around f/4:

DSC03264 by unoh7, on Flickr

Annna T

I agree Jorgen -- it is smallish in size and fastish in aperture and appears very good optically wide open down. A nice street compliment to the Mitakon 50 :D

The adapter/converters didn't do much for me though.
Yes, the 21mm exhibits very soft corners.

V

Vivek

I'm pre-ordered so will do the obligatory posts as soon as it is released. Working to get an evaluation copy but I don't think there are any copies in the states yet.
Isn't that interesting? They are being sold in Asia already.

serhan

I got mine in 2 days from T-dimensions from HK since the US shipments are still 1.5 months away. I used them before eg they paid even the return for misaligned P&S camera after some e-mail correspondence. So I took my chance esp there is no OSS on this lens. So far so good...

She was hiding from me, but I found her under the bed:)

Lighting wasn't the best after work/dinner, but here are some shots:

And we found where the town is hiding the dead snowmen:

It is a sharp, small lens, but there is a good amount of distortion that needs to be corrected and the lightroom profile is not available yet. This is the first Sony prime that I have that needs distortion correction which might explain the price point. I was expecting maybe a little less, since it comes with the wide angle and fisheye attachments. Good side of distortion is that it might be wider then 28mm before corrections.

Gbealnz

Yes, I agree, thank you. I am considering this lens.
Do you have anything that shows the mentioned distortion? A plain brick wall, with straight lines for example.
Gary

V

Vivek

Serhan, Could you show a picture of this lens (mounted on a cam or on its own) with its hood (apparently it comes with a hood!)? TIA!

Arne Hvaring

Thank you for the raw files! Looking at them in ACR, the lens seems to exhibit the worst barrel distortion I've ever seen from a moderate WA prime. I'm assuming that the gray band of tiles is supposed to be rendered straight. One wonders what effect correction of this magnitude will have on sharpness and microcontrast.
The high level of vignetting, even at f8, is also surprising and disappointing.
On a positive note, the (uncorrected) sharpness seems good, even to the edges and stopped down quite acceptable in the corners. I do feel there is some shutter shock evident at 1/60 exposures that degrades the resolution, but that is only related to the A7r body of course.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you for the raw files! Looking at them in ACR, the lens seems to exhibit the worst barrel distortion I've ever seen from a moderate WA prime. I'm assuming that the gray band of tiles is supposed to be rendered straight. One wonders what effect correction of this magnitude will have on sharpness and microcontrast.
The high level of vignetting, even at f8, is also surprising and disappointing.
On a positive note, the (uncorrected) sharpness seems good, even to the edges and stopped down quite acceptable in the corners. I do feel there is some shutter shock evident at 1/60 exposures that degrades the resolution, but that is only related to the A7r body of course.
Look at the positive side; you won't need that fisheye converter ;)

Sharpness seems fine even at f/2.0 (except from the extreme corners, but it's a $500, 200g lens), and much better than my old Nikkor AiS 2.0, but that was to be expected I suppose. It will be interesting to look at these file when ACR has been updated with correct correction algorithms.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Serhan, Could you show a picture of this lens (mounted on a cam or on its own) with its hood (apparently it comes with a hood!)? TIA!
Found it!

After a bit of search, I found that it is ALC-SH112. The very one that is the hood for the NEX's kit zoom 18-55 lens!

(Replacement costs $2.25/shipped from China)