The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

28mm F2 : first sample pictures

serhan

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6uvni7ajvd5p9lt/2.zip?dl=0

I attached the jpg from the camera and the raw converted directly in PS6. Distortion is there, but I am guessing it is similar to the m43 primes that I have incl the PanaLeica ones...

Here is the lens on the camera from google search:

It fit into my raincoat pocket.

Also some bokeh samples from FM link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/harryyhl/sets/72157651341978751

Thank you again Serhan. I looked at the download, but baulked at the 210Mb file.
At the expense of being a pain, could you simply post (here is as good as any) a JPEG of the RAW.
I'm still considering this lens, the ability to marry it with the likes of the 55 is appealing.
Gary

Gbealnz

Thank you yet again Serhan, I appreciate this.
Wow, that is some distortion, like Vivek says, no need for the fish-eye convertor.
But cleaned up it looks fine. Certainly at the price point, it's hard to beat.
Gary

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Serhan,
Is the file named "DSC02759-not edited" the jpeg file as it looks straight out of the camera? If that is the case, is the distortion visible in the same manner in the viewfinder as well?

serhan

That is raw file unedited from PS to show distortion. Camera profile is there like m43, so the distortion is corrected in jpg / evf. LR/PS profile is not there yet. I prefer to do it manual correction when it is needed unlike auto m43 corrections...

Serhan,
Is the file named "DSC02759-not edited" the jpeg file as it looks straight out of the camera? If that is the case, is the distortion visible in the same manner in the viewfinder as well?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
That is raw file unedited from PS to show distortion. Camera profile is there like m43, so the distortion is corrected in jpg / evf. LR/PS profile is not there yet. I prefer to do it manual correction when it is needed unlike auto m43 corrections...
Ok, thanks.

I did some manual distortion removal, and obviously, one loses the corners, which isn't too bad since they aren't very sharp at large apertures anyway. It does make it more of a 30mm or thereabouts lens, but at the price, size and weight, this seems to be very good value. When second hand A7R bodies drop below $500, this is certainly something to consider :D

serhan

It is most probably 25-26mm lens... RX1 is similar eg it has uncorrected 32mm lens.

Here is an interesting size comparison, Loxia 35mm f2 (comparable to Sony 28mm in size) vs 35mm 2.8 vs 1.4:
Loxia 35mm f2 size: 2.44 x 2.33" (62.1 x 59.2 mm) 11.99 oz (340 g)
Sony 28mm f2 size: 2.52 x 2.36" (64.01 x 59.94 mm) 7.05 oz (200 g)

Annna T

Ok, thanks.

I did some manual distortion removal, and obviously, one loses the corners, which isn't too bad since they aren't very sharp at large apertures anyway. It does make it more of a 30mm or thereabouts lens, but at the price, size and weight, this seems to be very good value. When second hand A7R bodies drop below $500, this is certainly something to consider :D
From size and weight that looks like a very nice 28mm, but personally I would have preferred to get an F2.8 aperture with distorsion optically better corrected. I don't understand all this rage for faster apertures : given the sensor IQ we have nowadays and the fact that wa aren't the focal ranges to look for if you want bokey that would have been a better compromise. May be that I will wait to see what Zeiss will offer as wa in the Loxia series. Zeiss had a reputation to care more for low distorsion than for bokey and that suits me (for instance with the Contax G lenses)

V

Vivek

Zeiss had a reputation to care more for low distorsion than for bokey and that suits me (for instance with the Contax G lenses)
They had (at some point). Their reputation and standards are all over the place nowadays just like their blue label.

iiiNelson

From size and weight that looks like a very nice 28mm, but personally I would have preferred to get an F2.8 aperture with distorsion optically better corrected. I don't understand all this rage for faster apertures : given the sensor IQ we have nowadays and the fact that wa aren't the focal ranges to look for if you want bokey that would have been a better compromise. May be that I will wait to see what Zeiss will offer as wa in the Loxia series. Zeiss had a reputation to care more for low distorsion than for bokey and that suits me (for instance with the Contax G lenses)
The "rage" is that some people like to shoot as as low of an ISO as possible. Some people regularly shoot in lower light conditions. One can always stop down. One can't always use flash either. It's just a matter of preference though. Neither is wrong.

Personally I refuse to buy any lens (especially a prime) that's not f/2 or faster for general purposes. Slower lenses are fine for tripod duty. Some just want a more specialized tool in the bag for when the time calls. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Totally agree. Also sometimes you run into a major shutter speed issue and your already at the max. ISO you want to shoot. Ibis don't work on moving people but faster shutter speeds do. As a Pro I want at least 2 lenses in my bag that can do at least F2 one mid wide one longer 75 or above. I also love 35mm FOV so I have to have F2 or faster.

Although I was thinking just buy the Loxia 35 and 50 instead of the 35 1.4 and 55 1.8
In still chewing on that as overall it is a little cheaper to do the two Loxia instead

V

Vivek

I wonder what Zeiss will do on the wide side w/ lots of biogon designs on rf's vs bigger distagons on the dslrs, but it will not be cheap as this. So far they are adopting the older designs with higher pricing to recoup that revisions...

More samples/reviews:
in_windows: SONY SEL FE 28 F2.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kelvintkn/sets/72157649006254463
Thanks for the links. :)

There is finally a picture of the lens with its hood! :clap:

One more thing- I like the boket. :)

Just got the lens on loan from Sony (along with the 35/1.4)

A handful of test shots around the house and I am sold. This is a more than worthy successor to the Minolta AF 28/2. Very sharp, nice bokeh for a 28mm and great color. All at f/2, except the second photo at f/5.6 on the A7s - developed from RAW in LR - no profile or distortion correction.

I'll be using it extensively at SXSW this week so much more to come.

Oh, the 35/1.4 is a knockout as well...

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

For the money even with the distortion it's a nice looking lens. Small and has AF. Not much to complain about at all. Good on Sony

Guy Mancuso

Here is my interest in the lens and for owners of the 16-35 and even though we have a good 28 on the zoom it's still a F4 lens so picking up 2 stops of light can be really helpful for a lot of situations. Here is the bonus it's the only wide AF lens too that's faster than F4

Something to be said about this and should be a hot seller.

Annna T

I wonder what Zeiss will do on the wide side w/ lots of biogon designs on rf's vs bigger distagons on the dslrs, but it will not be cheap as this. So far they are adopting the older designs with higher pricing to recoup that revisions...

More samples/reviews:
in_windows: SONY SEL FE 28 F2.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kelvintkn/sets/72157649006254463
Hopefully they won't use the Biogon design for wider lenses. At 35mm it isn't entirely satisfying in the corners from the reviews I have seen. I can't imagine what it would be at 28, 24 or 21mm if they reuse the old Biogon design.