The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

28mm F2 : first sample pictures

Hopefully they won't use the Biogon design for wider lenses. At 35mm it isn't entirely satisfying in the corners from the reviews I have seen. I can't imagine what it would be at 28, 24 or 21mm if they reuse the old Biogon design.
Actually the latest Zeiss release in the RF camp is the 35mm/1.4, Distagon design, excellent lens, among the best 35mm I ever used.

V

Vivek

Awesome! I am considering that and/or the new Ultron from Cosina.

Annna T

Actually the latest Zeiss release in the RF camp is the 35mm/1.4, Distagon design, excellent lens, among the best 35mm I ever used.
I was thinking more to the new Loxia line where the 35mm is a Biogon. I'm not interested in the 35mm F1.4 Distagon : I don't need the fast aperture which makes it a real monster lens.

Also focals lying between 35mm and 55mm in my mind are rather standard ones. Wide angle IMO truly starts at 28mm and below.

Michiel Schierbeek

I was thinking more to the new Loxia line where the 35mm is a Biogon. I'm not interested in the 35mm F1.4 Distagon : I don't need the fast aperture which makes it a real monster lens.

Also focals lying between 35mm and 55mm in my mind are rather standard ones. Wide angle IMO truly starts at 28mm and below.
The ZM version is not that big.

jfirneno

Just got the lens on loan from Sony (along with the 35/1.4)

A handful of test shots around the house and I am sold. This is a more than worthy successor to the Minolta AF 28/2. Very sharp, nice bokeh for a 28mm and great color. All at f/2, except the second photo at f/5.6 on the A7s - developed from RAW in LR - no profile or distortion correction.

I'll be using it extensively at SXSW this week so much more to come.

Oh, the 35/1.4 is a knockout as well...
SP:
That is great to hear. I've got a pre-order for the 28mm and the 35mm. Can't wait to see any other photos you care to share from either of these lenses.

SP:
That is great to hear. I've got a pre-order for the 28mm and the 35mm. Can't wait to see any other photos you care to share from either of these lenses.
I'll have some time to post more on Sunday.

Both lenses are really wonderful. The 35mm has almost a perfect balance of resolving power in the center and a nice transition to and render of OOF areas.

I did some quick and dirty comparison shots last night between the A-mount 35/1.4 G and the FE Zeiss. The G is often maligned for its resolving power (I've had a couple unimpressive copies but my latest is quite sharp) but almost universally respected for its bokeh. The Zeiss is better at both.

The Zeiss is also lighter compared to the 35g (one of the smallest DSLR 35/1.4 lenses) and LAEA-4 adapter and I swear it balances remarkably well. AF is swift and accurate - much better than anything on the LAEA-4 in low light.

The 28mm is very punchy. Sharp and with tremendous color transmission.

Gotta run. More soon.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay I'm almost sold on the New Zeiss 35 1.4 . I preordered way back when on announcement. Keep feeding me more. I'm really after this lens big time

My big question for the ZA 35/1.4 is whether it can perform at infinity. Looking at dpreview aperture series, the lens has a noticeable dip in mid-frame that couldn't resolve even at f/11. Otherwise, this thing is stellar so far.

Since it looks like the discussion in this thread has turned to 35mm...here is one from tonight on the A7s with the Zeiss FE 35/1.4

Outdoor at dusk, lit from an interior window

jfirneno

Since it looks like the discussion in this thread has turned to 35mm...here is one from tonight on the A7s with the Zeiss FE 35/1.4

Outdoor at dusk, lit from an interior window

Oh yeah, that's why I wanted the f/1.4. There are gonna be a lot of great portrait and street shots with this lens. It's a steep price but for a lot of people it's a must have.

Some more sample photos from the new FE 28/2. It is exceedingly sharp, IMO has excellent bokeh for a 28mm, strong color transmission, is compact and quick to focus. Downside is a bit of distortion that will likely be tamed by profile. Quickly becoming a favorite.

Guy Mancuso

It does have some nice bokeh for a wide that's really nice.

Dang it I may have to get one now. Why one big reason outside a nice lens. It's the fastest and widest FE AF capable lens. That alone is a good reason plus the bonus it's not a lot of money to scrape up for a lot of us.

Guy Mancuso

Interesting Im processing a gig I did over the weekend where I shot the 16-35 as my primary to do this grip and grin stuff and almost every frame is the 28mm setting or 35mm . I may just get this lens since its two stops of better AF focusing in this low light stuff.

V

Vivek

. That alone is a good reason plus the bonus it's not a lot of money to scrape up for a lot of us.
It is cheaper than the Metabones adapter (here)! :eek:

The downsides are:

1. No pouch with the lens.
2. No blue label on the lens.
3. Besides the distortion there is some CA.