The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A couple of questions about the 5 axis satibilization

V

Vivek

Sony offer 5 axis stabilization in their A7 II. This can only be achieved when there is OSS in a lens.

1. This rules out any possibility of using a fast lens (only slow zooms). Correct?

2. Can the IS offered by the Canon lenses be used to achieve 5 axis stabilization (thus offering possibilities to use fast lenses- prime or zoom)?

TIA!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Ibis is in the body but I think it must be a Sony FE or A mount lens with adapter to achieve all 5 axis. I think 3rd party are 3 axis only but we need to double check my memory here .

Guy Mancuso

I can tell you this it works really nice with my Minolta 200mm with adapter . I can squeeze about 1/30 th out of it if I'm having a good day. Lol

That's damn good

V

Vivek

I can tell you this it works really nice with my Minolta 200mm with adapter . I can squeeze about 1/30 th out of it if I'm having a good day. Lol

That's damn good
Guy, That (IBIS) will work similarly with my Tamron adaptall 200/3.5 as well. Still, that is not 5 axis.

Stefan Steib

I am looking forward to use this 3 axis stabilization with my 1,2/55 and 1,2/85 FD-L lenses. Open aperture with some tilt in near darkness...... rrrrrrrrrrrr:thumbup:

V

Vivek

I am looking forward to use this 3 axis stabilization with my 1,2/55 and 1,2/85 FD-L lenses. Open aperture with some tilt in near darkness...... rrrrrrrrrrrr:thumbup:
Of course, the orphaned system lenses get a new lease. ;)

Stefan have you tried any of your Canon IS lenses on the A7 III, do you get 5 axis?

Johnny_Johnson

Five axis stabilization is available with select non-OSS lenses. From a blog by Brian Smith:

"Only those lenses without OSS, such as non-OSS E-mount lenses, and 8-pin A-mount lenses when used with LA-EA series adapters, that can also communicate focal length and focal distance enjoy 5-axis IS from the camera. Sony E mount lenses with OSS get 3-axis compensation from the camera, and the other 2-axis pitch and yaw compensation from the lens."

I don't think that he stated the above very clearly but - a non-OSS lens that transmits focal length and focus distance to the body will result in five axis stabilization. The lenses that do that have 8 pin connectors.

Later,
Johnny

mazor

Vivek, according to Metabones website, with the latest firmware update for the Smart adapter iv canon EF to Fe mount is meant to supply correct data to the a7ii so it can use 5 axis stabilization with both Canon IS and non IS lens. What is most interesting is it states that with IS canon lenses the lens IS will be used in combination with IBIS, similar to how native FE OSS lenses use the 5 axis stabilization.

pegelli

Interesting question and I think reading between the lines of what Johnny provides in his post gives a very logical answer.

Question I have is how you would be able to show if with a certain lens you get 3 or 5 axis stabilization? Other than that it should (or could) work when the lens transmits focal length and focal distance is there any way to find out if it did (from the exif, the camera or the picture) ?

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Guy, That (IBIS) will work similarly with my Tamron adaptall 200/3.5 as well. Still, that is not 5 axis.
It does I'm using the Lae4 Sony adapter and its a A mount. I'm pretty sure the Minokta is getting 5 but I could be wrong.

pegelli

As far as I know the 200/2.8 (in both the standard and HS configuration) only has 5 pins and does not transmit focal distance to the camera. So my suspicion is that it gets 3 axis stabilization and not 5.
However if you look on this blog (and following the links in the first paragraph) by Jim Kasson he doesn't measure a lot of difference in IBIS effectiveness between cases of 5 axis (E55/1.8) and 3 Axis (180 mm Apo Telyt and 28 mm Elmarit R). So while there is a theoretical difference, in actual practice the differences might be negligible.

Guy Mancuso

Interesting . I could not tell between 3 and 5 if it yelled at me. LOL

I do get EXIF data for the 200 and it does show in C1

V

Vivek

pegelli said:
Question I have is how you would be able to show if with a certain lens you get 3 or 5 axis stabilization? Other than that it should (or could) work when the lens transmits focal length and focal distance is there any way to find out if it did (from the exif, the camera or the picture) ?
Perhaps, block those extra 3 pins and shoot a before and after picture?

k-hawinkler

IIRC pitch, yaw and roll corrections should benefit any lens with Sony's version of IBIS.
For X and Y corrections the distance to subject must also be communicated to the camera.
X and Y corrections are most important for macro photography, i.e. short subject distance.
X and Y corrections go to zero for infinity focusing.

daf

I'm questioning myself about a7II...for handheld shot with non FE lenses.
1) ibis will only work with Fe lenses, canon+metabones, sony a+ adapter? Or could it work with all lenses by manual setting the focal?
2)Could someone give me an idea of the bénéfice of the 3axes ibis, for example with 24mm what would be the minimum shutter time to get Sharp image, or say by how many stop do You improve your handheld shot.
3)i'm actually working with a couple of a7r, do You feel that the sensor is similary calibrated as the a7r? Do You think i could work with a7ii and a7r and get the same color and contrast out of the box? Or is it really different?
4) could someone share a raw with the canon 24tseII? same shot with a7r would be si cool...
Thanks a lot

pegelli

@ daf
1) IBIS will work with any lens (minimum 3 axis, and 5 if the lens tells the camera at which distance it's focussed) and there is a window to provide the camera with the focal length
2) Follow the link to Jim Kasson's blog in post # 12. He did an excellent (and I think statistically relevant) test on lenses between 16 and 180 mm. Short answer is he gained 2-3 stops vs. without IBIS.
3) & 4) No idea. I have none of the equipment to make such a comparison.

pegelli

Perhaps, block those extra 3 pins and shoot a before and after picture?
You need to have a very consistent tremble for that to work (or do a very large number of tests so the results become statistically relevant). However looking at the results that Jim Kasson found (see link in post 12 above) my own conclusion is that 3 axis will work fine and 5 axis is just a vernier improvement (if at all)