The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII

mazor

hmm, if I am not wrong live view is not affected by the type of sensor. I remember using my Panasonic LX3 which if I am correct was the last model in that series to have a CCD instead of a CMOS. The live view refresh rates and quality was very usable considering it did not have an OVF.

jonoslack

If they fix the shutter shock issue and give us uncompressed RAW (how difficult could that be?), I might buy into the Sony system again. That it will have IBIS and better ergonomics seems obvious. But this time I'll wait for the reviews before making a move...
Me Too.
It wasn't until they produced the camera I wanted (A7ii) that I could really decide that I didn't want it!

mazor

an uncompressed RAW option would be nice especially for a mark ii but I suspect the compressed RAW algorithm may be hard coded into the image processor. So unless the a7rii comes out with a new image processor, I suspect the same compression algorithm would be used.

k-hawinkler

Well I skipped the A7II, still keep using my A7R, especially with Leica R lenses.
Which Sony FF E camera would tempt me now? It got to include:

• No shutter shock,
• great working IBIS,
• uncompressed RAW,
• beating in resolution the high res shot option of my E-M5 Mark II.

Or may be, it got to have 3 of the 4 items listed above. :D

How about just go back to the old CCD technology. I think it would be easier to implement global shutter using that technology
CMOS sensors w/ global shutter exist and they are being used for ages... in industrial applications where customers really need full global shutter and can live w/ resolution AND/OR dr compromise... as for going back to CCD - no, you still have to store the charge somewhere after the end of exposure if you want true full electronic (no mechanical shielding by shutter blades) global shutter =

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/AND9195-D.PDF

turtle

I envisage very aggressive pricing on the A7RII and possible A9. Sony has the mass to be able to lowball the price (compared to Canikon) with the aim of stealing more market share.

I'd be very surprised if we are not pleasantly surprised with the prices.

PS... afterthought.... what impact does this rumored A9 have on Canon? Some, I think. Anyone who is using Canon and Sony FE bodies together and who is tempted by the 50Mp 5Ds may well skip another Canon body in favour of the Sony FE. We can be confident any 50mp Sony sensor will perform just like all the other Sony sensors, with truck loads of DR, great colour etc. It is also likely to be no more expensive, even if it is a bells and whistles pro body. Interesting times...

jfirneno

Check this out :

(SR4) Sony to announce the new 50 Megapixel camera within weeks. Image quality outperforms the Canon 5ds? | sonyalpharumors

The new A7RII and A9 both going to be announced soon ?
I hope I hit lotto. :)
The whirling vortex of (mis?)information that is SAR is a grand and dizzying spectacle. Of course, Sony allows such speculation to thrive by the equally dizzying pace at which they can churn out new camera models. I give credit to Andrea in that he has recently instituted some moderation on his comments section. But I confess this lessens the comedic value of those comments. I've got to say, I don't doubt that Sony could be coming out with both an A7R II and an A9 in the next month or two. But what I really hope is that both products be held up as long as it takes to make them relatively debugged. It's too important to Sony's future to prematurely launch such advanced cameras without a thorough attempt to remove the worst issues. I can't promise I'll buy a 50 mpix camera (boy that's a big file!) but if the 35 mpix has an EFCS I'll almost surely buy it at some point.

Michiel Schierbeek

I hope we can still handhold this 50 MP camera, the shutter needs to be completely damped, otherwise a lot of threads are ahead of us.
We will need IBIS even more now.

V

Vivek

It's too important to Sony's future to prematurely launch such advanced cameras without a thorough attempt to remove the worst issues.
I agree to a point. It may be an advanced sensor but not necessarily an advanced camera.

To date, IME, the A7s is their most advanced camera despite the dearth of pixels.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I envisage very aggressive pricing on the A7RII and possible A9. Sony has the mass to be able to lowball the price (compared to Canikon) with the aim of stealing more market share.

I'd be very surprised if we are not pleasantly surprised with the prices.

PS... afterthought.... what impact does this rumored A9 have on Canon? Some, I think. Anyone who is using Canon and Sony FE bodies together and who is tempted by the 50Mp 5Ds may well skip another Canon body in favour of the Sony FE. We can be confident any 50mp Sony sensor will perform just like all the other Sony sensors, with truck loads of DR, great colour etc. It is also likely to be no more expensive, even if it is a bells and whistles pro body. Interesting times...
The lower Sony price the new A7/9 bodies, the more the value of the older A7 bodies will decrease, possibly annoying existing customers. When it comes to mass, Sony has an ILC (Interchangeable Lens Camera) market share of 9% (2013, Sony's own figures). Their market share for mirrorless cameras (still less than a third of the total ILC market) was 40% in 2013, which made them the market leader in that segment, but if I remember correctly, that figure fell to less than 30% during 2014, more or less equal to Olympus. Sony is a shareholder at Olympus.

Sony has to thread very carefully and cannot afford many mistakes in this market. Second hand A7 bodies sell for roughly the same as the 5-7 years old Nikon D700.

turtle

You're very possibly right; however, I would be surprised if residual value of used bodies features much in their thinking. This secondary market is surely much less important than primary sales and with the camera industry struggling, I would think even more emphasis would be on making new sales. Nikon's used bodies hold better value, but I was under the impression that their business is struggling. Sony on the other hand appears to have sold many more FE bodies that they had imagined possible, precisely because the launch prices were really good for what was on offer. Time will tell of course and I am just speculating without any inside knowledge.

The lower Sony price the new A7/9 bodies, the more the value of the older A7 bodies will decrease, possibly annoying existing customers. When it comes to mass, Sony has an ILC (Interchangeable Lens Camera) market share of 9% (2013, Sony's own figures). Their market share for mirrorless cameras (still less than a third of the total ILC market) was 40% in 2013, which made them the market leader in that segment, but if I remember correctly, that figure fell to less than 30% during 2014, more or less equal to Olympus. Sony is a shareholder at Olympus.

Sony has to thread very carefully and cannot afford many mistakes in this market. Second hand A7 bodies sell for roughly the same as the 5-7 years old Nikon D700.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
"Sony makes a zillion models". Is that true? Let's look at the data (source dpreview):

Sony: 2015 YTD - 0, 2014 - 17, 2013 - 20, Total - 37
Canon: 2015 YTD - 13, 2014 - 16, 2013 - 17, Total - 46
Nikon: 2015 YTD - 15, 2014 - 18, 2013 - 21, Total - 54

Yep, Sony is truly spewing models all over the landscape. Sure, they haven't announced the 2015 bodies yet, maybe they'll announce 17 and catch up to Nikon. :rolleyes:

There are more conservative producers:

Olympus: 2015 YTD - 3, 2014 - 6, 2013 - 11, Total - 20
Leica: 2015 YTD - 0, 2014 - 4, 2013 - 2, Total - 6 (There are a few Leica models - all the S models since the S2 and special editions - missing, so these numbers are too low)
Phase One: 2015 YTD - 0, 2014 - 0, 2013 - 0, Total - 0 (when did the DF+ come out?) :ROTFL:

I made no attempt to trim away P&S, or fixed lens. I'm sure constraints exist on the search that will prove any particular point. Still, I confess to surprise at the data, especially given the complete lack of criticism Nikon faces when they are vastly more prolific.

--Matt

turtle

Absolutely, but I think the A7II shows that more can be thrown into a camera for the same price (vs Mk I) when they have the volume. The FE mount has been much more successful than they first imagined, but now they know and I would expect them to 'reinforce success'. I hope they they do not hold back too many features however... that old trick of keeping you waiting for the Mk III is tedious, so we shall see! I'm a lot more optimistic for bodies than the popcorn approach to their lens lineup.

I hope we can still handhold this 50 MP camera, the shutter needs to be completely damped, otherwise a lot of threads are ahead of us.
We will need IBIS even more now.

V

Vivek

Still, I confess to surprise at the data, especially given the complete lack of criticism Nikon faces when they are vastly more prolific.

--Matt
Why bother when they are not in one's radar? :sleep006:

(You see nikon users coming and offering advices to Sony. Sony users just ignore nikon and spend the time for anything else)

Annna T

Absolutely, but I think the A7II shows that more can be thrown into a camera for the same price (vs Mk I) when they have the volume. The FE mount has been much more successful than they first imagined, but now they know and I would expect them to 'reinforce success'. I hope they they do not hold back too many features however... that old trick of keeping you waiting for the Mk III is tedious, so we shall see! I'm a lot more optimistic for bodies than the popcorn approach to their lens lineup.
I have just read your blog entry concerning the popcorn (fun and well seen) approach of Sony and I couldn't agree more.

Last edited:

rayyan

I shall wait for the A7 III. It might have games built in or for download.

Transit times at airports from here can be loong!