The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My (new to me) A7 will arrive today!

I picked up a used A7 plus the Voigtlander VM-E adapter, and the 40mm Nokton S.C. I also purchased a couple extra batteries and the plates for my dual charger.

Any particular accessory you recommend? The only other lens I'm currently thinking about for this camera is a ZF or CY 50mm 1.4 Planar. Down the line I'd like to get a nice compact 20ish lens. How do the Contax C/Y lenses perform on the Sony cameras?

Thanks in advance!

Michiel Schierbeek

C/Y lenses perform very well on the A7's. I do advise an all black adapter (Kipon/Novoflex) for the longer lenses against very strong inner reflections.
This counts for all legacy lenses in fact, except Leica M, those adapters work well as is.

I guess the question is whether I want to invest in ZF glass over the C/Y. I have a Df so I suppose it would pair well, but they're more expensive.

mbroomfield

Yes, flock your adapters!

I use the 21mm c/y, excellent but not too compact, same with the 35-70 Vario-Sonnar. I'm not sure how well the Nokton does on the A7, it might have blurred corners. There's a lot of wisdom for RF lenses on A7 bodies on Fred Miranda.

The 20mm FD Canon is very good, esp when stopped down.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I guess the question is whether I want to invest in ZF glass over the C/Y. I have a Df so I suppose it would pair well, but they're more expensive.
If you go for first generation ZF (not ZF.2) and have patient to wait for the good deals, the difference isn't too bad, and being able to use the lenses on two cameras make them twice as valuable, don't you think?

Why did you get the A7? :confused:
The Df is great, I really like it. Problem is I'm not great at manually focusing it with the stock screen, so I upgraded it to the precision matte screen from focusingscreen dot com. Works better! Still, my Nikon lenses are the 58mm 1.4G and the 35mm 1.4 Sigmalux. Two lenses that really sing with AF. I tried out an A7 for a few days and I was impressed how easy it was to use MF lenses on it, and I really liked not having to go APS-C like with a Fuji.

I'm currently deciding whether or not I want to keep the Df and use it with my 35/1.4 for weddings, alongside a D750, or dump it and just have the D750 has my primary digital with the A7 along with more interesting manual focuses lenses. For sure though, the A7 will be a personal work camera when I don't want to shoot film.

V

Vivek

Yes, with live view and EVF, manual focus lens use is a breeze with mirrorless cams.

Why then go for the F mount lenses? Once you are used to the A7 and manual focus lenses, no screen is going to make you use them on a DSLR.

There are plenty of choices with money to spare. :)

Yes, with live view and EVF, manual focus lens use is a breeze with mirrorless cams.

Why then go for the F mount lenses? Once you are used to the A7 and manual focus lenses, no screen is going to make you use them on a DSLR.

There are plenty of choices with money to spare. :)
Exactly what I'm thinking. The Df might have to go... Not sure it'll get used anymore!