The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advantages of A7II over A7

soboyle

I'm seeing A7 bodies on sale used for very reasonable, in the $800-900 range. I currently have the A7r but want a 2nd body and am wavering between the A7II and a used A7. Considered the A6000 but the controls and ergonomics are very different, and I want something that is the same or close to the A7r layout.
What are the advantages to the A7II over the A7 (besides the 5 axis IBIS)?
DXO has the A7II with 1/2 stop less dynamic range, anyone seeing that in real use?
Little things that add up to make the II a better camera?
Is it an all metal mount on A7II?

ggibson

Yes, the A7II has an all-metal mount and generally more rugged construction (although heavier). The other advantages of the A7II are:

- 5-axis IBIS
- Better ergonomics (larger grip, better shutter button placement, more custom buttons...)
- Faster AF performance (not quite A6000-like, but better)

Tough choice with used A7 prices so low these days.

V

Vivek

The shutter in the A7 II is a lot better sounding (with EFCS on both the A7II and the A7) because of better overall build quality of the body. The A7 is really loud in comparison. If you get a chance, try them out to get a real feel for it.

If I were in your shoes and want to use the new camera for at least 6 more months, I would choose the A7 II over the A7 despite the price differences.
YMMV.

Viramati

Personally I see no evidence of the A7II having less DR in real life situations. If you don't need IBIS then the A7 is still a good option especially if it is to be used as a 2nd body. The A7 is a little lighter and smaller though the grip on the A7II is more comfortable. The full metal mount on the A7II makes for a more solid mounting platform (A7s has same all metal mount). depending on your photography you may appreciate the slightly faster AF on the MkII though I still find the A7s to be quicker especially in low light.

mazor

hmm, I heard the "light leak" issue is resolved in the a7ii.

For most, this will not be an issue, as it really only applies when one captures a long exposure with say a torch shining directly on the camera. For those that are weary of this issue, there is a rubber band style mod one can apply to the older A7 which also will resolve this.

If you have not been affected by the light issues in your a7r, then you will not notice it in the older a7.

V

Vivek

hmm, I heard the "light leak" issue is resolved in the a7ii.

For most, this will not be an issue, as it really only applies when one captures a long exposure with say a torch shining directly on the camera. For those that are weary of this issue, there is a rubber band style mod one can apply to the older A7 which also will resolve this.
It was a non issue with my A7 from the start and still there is no issue.

If you have not been affected by the light issues in your a7r, then you will not notice it in the older a7.
I understand that it is not a design flaw but a QC issue with a few samples. I have tested all my A7 cams for this "issue" and found none.

Paratom

there is also less problem with reflection of highlights with the ii.
for eaxample lamps or candles mirror images.
caf is imroved too.

iiiNelson

Completely random question regarding the A7II but do any of the owners know if the camera records the focal length used for adapted lenses after you select the focal length in the IBIS menu?

Just was curious if this was recorded into the RAW file. I know it wasn't on the M9/M9-P but selecting the best lens profile helped the corners/vignetting for sure on non 6-bit coded lenses.

I got an A7 recently for cheeeeaaap! Spent the extra cash on glass and the battery grip. A7II is great. A7III will probably be more worth the wait and the cash.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Completely random question regarding the A7II but do any of the owners know if the camera records the focal length used for adapted lenses after you select the focal length in the IBIS menu?

Just was curious if this was recorded into the RAW file. I know it wasn't on the M9/M9-P but selecting the best lens profile helped the corners/vignetting for sure on non 6-bit coded lenses.
No, the only relevant metadata will be from the camera's own settings, like shutter speed, exp. compensation etc. I just tried my Heliar 12 mm after setting the IBIS to 12 mm - to no avail.

Bill

iiiNelson

No, the only relevant metadata will be from the camera's own settings, like shutter speed, exp. compensation etc. I just tried my Heliar 12 mm after setting the IBIS to 12 mm - to no avail.

Bill
Thanks for that... I wonder if that COULD be a firmware update that COULD be added.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bottom line for me the A7II eats the A7 for breakfast. On paper it may not sound as much of a upgrade but in reality those upgrades make it a far better working cam. I love mine. I just wish it had 36mpx horsepower

iiiNelson

I agree... I'm still trying to hold out until the "next big thing" is announced but there's a lot of improvements to the A7II for sure. I may just trade my A7 in for one though when I get back stateside.

padam

Will the Alpha a7II SteadyShot image stabilization... - Sony's Community Site

I have already submitted this to the Sony Support a few weeks ago, they responded that "it has been forwarded to the developer team" not sure if they are actually going to do anything about it. But it is definitely something that could easily be added.