The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FE 35/1.4 Early Samples

Guess, I'll kick this off. Just got my hands on a sample from Sony on Wednesday and have been using it during SXSW here in Austin this week.

Here's a portrait of rap artist Mick Jenkins to get us started...on the A7s @ f/1.4

Outdoor at dusk, lit from an interior window

iiiNelson

Glad I preordered. I have a feeling this lens might sell out early in the product cycle regardless of size. The rendering looks very good. Hope to see alot more from this lens and enjoy SXSW.

Last edited:

philip_pj

It looks great, DPR have a few fairly representative images as well.

Sony seldom get pricing wrong, so this one was always likely to be the goods. And now people are reporting a few issues with the far more expensive (and fussy on a7 cameras) ZM 35/1.4, this one looks very decent indeed, for 150 grams more weight.

The a7r tests at slrgear are also very encouraging, even compared with the FE55.

What do you think of AF performance, SP? This one has the new system inside it, touted as fast, quiet and accurate (less 'overshoot then correct' dwell time).

V

Vivek

Absolutely not interested in this lens but am looking forward to your pics with it, Chad. :)

What do you think of AF performance, SP? This one has the new system inside it, touted as fast, quiet and accurate (less 'overshoot then correct' dwell time).
Single AF is near or at a traditional DSLR in speed, much better in accuracy. The ONLY issue I have had seems to be endemic of the entire line - hunting trouble in extreme backlight scenarios. But for 98% of usage, you get fast, accurate and quiet AF.

+1

They should have called it Sony Otus:) From dpr post:
I get all the hand wringing about size but I was very surprised at A. How the well balanced the lens is - I'd say the balance point is about 1/4-1/2 inch out from the lens mount - and B. How light it is compared to my LAEA-4 and 35/1.4 G combo.

The lens plus the A7s is a joy to carry compared to my old Canon 5D and 35L.

Malina DZ

I get all the hand wringing about size but I was very surprised at A. How the well balanced the lens is - I'd say the balance point is about 1/4-1/2 inch out from the lens mount.
SP, looking forward to more samples. IQ is impressive from this lens, samples confirm what MTF promises. You must be using VG with your A7s, because I find it hard to believe that a lens of a size and weight of a 85/1.4ZA can balance well on a lightweight & compact A7s.

SP, looking forward to more samples. IQ is impressive from this lens, samples confirm what MTF promises. You must be using VG with your A7s, because I find it hard to believe that a lens of a size and weight of a 85/1.4ZA can balance well on a lightweight & compact A7s.
Nope, no grip.

See where the lens tapers from its wide diameter behind the aperture ring (just behind the FE 1.4/35 label) to the smaller diameter mount? That's where the camera balances on the A7s. So, yes it is a bit nose heavy but not anything like I expected.

I've noticed that the internal elements of the lens seem to be pretty evenly weighted from back to front. When you use something like the A-mount 35G on the LA-EA4, the lens is quite nose heavy so the balance is actually worse.

I've been carrying the camera and lens all day for the past two days with only a wrist strap - usually griping, not letting it hang. I would not attempt that with a DSLR and any of the fast 35s.

iiiNelson

Chad thanks for the user report. It's great to read actual experience from regulars and not just reviewers.

philip_pj

Thanks so much, Show..it is as Sony promised re AF, and as bodies improve will provide a better experience. My 600g (with adapter) lenses all feel fine on the a7r too.

'They should have called it Sony Otus'

Never a truer word spoken in jest - high order correction is not compatible with small lens dimensions. Dr Nasse stated this in recent interviews, and this is the background to the Otus lenses and his other choices for top Zeiss lenses - 135/2 APO, 100MP, 21mm and 15mm Distagons. All are large, complex and fantastic. Sony is clearly going that way for some of their premium lineup, I am glad they had the courage to do it.

See that the heavier new FE primes have elements distributed evenly along the body? That is high order correction in action, they have used almost every millimeter in this 35mm. Canon's latest macro went from 12/8 to 15/12, it's something we will see more of in the coming 50Mp world.

Hopefully the 3D Kraft guy or someone else will do a real world comparo of these entrants, on the a7r to level the playing field somewhat:

FE 35/1.4; Nikon 35/1.4G; Canon 35/1.4L; Sigma ART 35/1.4; Samyang 35/1.4 AS; ZM 35/1.4; Summilux 35/1.4. Plus an RX1 for interest maybe. Sony now have two of the better fast(ish) 35s on the market, with another nice slower one in the 35/2.8.