The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Loxia 35mm

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The Sony manual focusing implementation combined with good Leica /Zeiss lenses make it a pleasant experience. I now much prefer manual focus with peaking than AF. Better control, more fun than moving the AF cursors all the time (ok focus/recompose also exists, I know).
Leave the AF lenses for action and enjoy the manual focusing for the rest, a nice way to chase perfection for catching excellence ;-)
I use AF for PR crap. Never on something really important to me. I never shot for instance a workshop on AF ever.

V

Vivek

I have a huge issue with manual focus when great AF is available WITH great lenses in other systems. Sony needs to step up their game or the A7 series will die.

/rant
I agree, especially in light of the fabulous Sony FE 28/2. It IS possible to make decent, compact, light weight primes that can do well with AF and even Sony can do it! :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy,

Definitely not a Sony hater -- I still have the A7r! But I am not all that happy with Sony as a company not bringing any lenses *I* want to use with the camera. The 28 looks promising, though not all that great wide open. The 35/1.4 is interesting, but I haven't seen it yet to decide how good it really is -- have you? I have the Mitakon, and use it with focus peaking for what it is and like that quite a bit -- and with f.095 and for what I plan on using it for, I'm fine with manual focus. But I don't want to be forced to use manual to get good glass! I also like the holga on it, but that one I don't need to focus...

Re Nikon, you are simply wrong -- there is amazing glass available for it, both from Nikon and from other sources like Sigma. You have not owned a Nikon for almost 2 years, so honestly have no idea what you're missing now, especially with the D810's AF -- it's about as close to perfect as I've seen... And FTR, your comments are making you sound like a Nikon hater! Or a Sony fanboy ;)

Back the Sony, The little 28 is okay and I will probably get one. But why don't we have a GREAT 20 or 24/2.8 yet? We *might* get a GREAT 35/1.4 but it remains to be seen how great it will be. Then why don't we have a GREAT 50/1.4 and why don't we have a GREAT 85/1.4 yet? Okay, so we do have a few nice and one so-so zoom. Seriously, where are the primes? To my thinking, we should have had the above all within 6 months after the A7r came out! Kind of like Leica bring out the S. They brought out the S2 before they had 3 lenses regularly shipping for the system...

Now fix yourself a coffee and go cut your grass :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Sorry bud that Nikon 24,35,85 all 1.4 I have owned and they have not changed one bit. You can't coubt Sigma because I can use them in AF also. The d810 is nice but I'm not carrying a truck anymore and Nikon has done nothing since I left except update it. There is very little IQ diffrence between the 800e and 810 sorry not buying that argument . Features yes image quality what a horse hair. Sony certainly needs more glass but this is a new mount. How many years did it take Canon FD to switch to Eos mount. People forget this stuff. I owned Canon and Nikon and you know what happened every time I sold the OEM glass every time and bought Zeiss glass. Please I have been through every system with a fine tooth comb and no one is better than the next guy. I really hate these ****ing label talk. It's pointless . Shoot what you like you know that better than me.

Your forgetting I iwned Nikon my whole career at different points in time and pretty much bought every lens. Now I would say stupid me for many years for switching around but I'm bored shitless with this stuff. It's a tool

Guy Mancuso

Frankly I'm not happy with any one of them . They all have there downfalls but you buy the best that will work for you.

iiiNelson

I'll final get a chance to go out and test this gem Tommorrow. So far I do like it a lot.
Looking forward to your report.

Frankly I've been on the fence about this lens based on what I've seen. I temporarily cancelled my 35 Distagon order and bought a 28/2 for the time being until my direction is sorted out regarding which lens I should go with. I think the 28 and 55 will make a natural travel pair and I still have the Sigma Art 35 until I decide on a native FE 35mm lens (between the Loxia or the Distagon.) A 28, 35, 50 or 55, and the 90 Macro would make a good set of the common primes (although I normally prefer 18-25 on the wide end.)

serhan

CV 35mm 1.7 update is coming in April also. SAR was saying the price will be 1000 Euro... Maybe it will not match Zeiss contrast, but it is another mf lens to consider...

Looking forward to your report.

Frankly I've been on the fence about this lens based on what I've seen. I temporarily cancelled my 35 Distagon order and bought a 28/2 for the time being until my direction is sorted out regarding which lens I should go with. I think the 28 and 55 will make a natural travel pair and I still have the Sigma Art 35 until I decide on a native FE 35mm lens (between the Loxia or the Distagon.) A 28, 35, 50 or 55, and the 90 Macro would make a good set of the common primes (although I normally prefer 18-25 on the wide end.)

iiiNelson

CV 35mm 1.7 update is coming in April also. SAR was saying the price will be 1000 Euro... Maybe it will not match Zeiss contrast, but it is another mf lens to consider...
Yeah I still have my Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton II and Sigma Art 35mm. They are both great lenses (I like the Nokton better for close to medium range people shots and the Sigma is a great all around lens but somewhat clinical to some like the 55FE is) but I am thinking of adding a fast native 35mm. So it's either the Distagon or Loxia for me.

Size isn't my main concern so much as it is IQ and then flexibility to shoot in IR as well without hot spots (I'm 100% fine with the size of the Distagon as it will save space overall in my bag from deciding between which 35mm to take.)

ashwinrao1

I have had the Loxia 35 and 50 for a few weeks now. I must say that I am not really missing using my M lenses on the A7s, as the user experience with the Loxia surpasses M lens use on the A7 (M's still are amazing, and obviously prefered for RF use and for use with multiple systems)...

The 50 is a jewel, tiny,and the 35 is no slouch. I suspect an 85 mm and a 21 or 25 mm lens would be the next options...I would be happy with a 21 and 85 and call it a day, seriously....A7s(II) and A7r(II) with silent shutters and IBIS would just about do it....optically, size, compactness, etc....

HEre is one from the 35 Loxia at ISO12800.....f/2...incredible that we can get these shots now!

1 in BW with the 35 Loxia @ ISO 3200

50 Loxia on A7s @ ISO 800

50 Loxia on A7s @ ISO 100

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have had the Loxia 35 and 50 for a few weeks now. I must say that I am not really missing using my M lenses on the A7s, as the user experience with the Loxia surpasses M lens use on the A7 (M's still are amazing, and obviously prefered for RF use and for use with multiple systems)...

The 50 is a jewel, tiny,and the 35 is no slouch. I suspect an 85 mm and a 21 or 25 mm lens would be the next options...I would be happy with a 21 and 85 and call it a day, seriously....A7s(II) and A7r(II) with silent shutters and IBIS would just about do it....optically, size, compactness, etc....

HEre is one from the 35 Loxia at ISO12800.....f/2...incredible that we can get these shots now!

First off, love the image!

But, is it just me, or is the background bokeh looking little "nervous" here?

uhoh7

First off, love the image!

But, is it just me, or is the background bokeh looking little "nervous" here?
The loxia 35 is simply a ZM 35/2 biogon with some minor tweaks to try to get it to work with the thick sony sensor stack.

The Biogon is considered to have some nervous bokeh also, though not in the league of the Contax 45/2 LOL

Here is the ZM 35/2 on an A7.mod (with the thin sensor stack by kolari)

DSC01842 by elleliv, on Flickr

This with a hawks CF adapter as well. Personally I don't have a problem with the Biogon bokeh, and I like this shot, but others are appalled.

Ashwin, you are such a superb shooter, but I will take your M9 work over the A7s, personally. Your shooting technique is great with all your cameras, but the CCD plus M glass seems another league entirely for rendering----to me.

Obviously the A7s can do some high ISO stuff like nothing else I guess, but there's a price, I think.

I now shoot the M9 in low light all the time now, and prefer it to the A7, believe it or not. The secret is simply fast glass, of which there is plenty in M mount. Here is the 75 lux on both M9 and A7---forgive the aside, but it's to my point.

Sym_15_0-213 by psia.ni, on Flickr

Sym_15_0-174 by psia.ni, on Flickr

But back to the Loxia 35/2...does it have an infinity stop?

Oh. I see it does. That is huge.

Last edited:

darrellc

My Loxia 35 overshoots infinity a bit. Somewhere, I saw a quote from Zeiss that they designed it that way to ensure achievable infinity focus across the varied A7 series bodies. Having had the A7, A7s and A7m2, each with very different fit across the same lenses, perhaps that is wise. The A7m2 seems the best compromise (A7 was sloppily loose, A7s too tight in some cases), so I guess they're figuring it out successfully along the way.

CharlesK

A few more Loxia 50 shots...who says Manual Focus can't do sports:

Great shots Ashwin!

I am also amazed as I have had the 50 Loxia now for 2 days and seriously it is a great lens in performance and ergonomics. I also have the 35 Loxia.

I totally agree in combo with my A7II/A7s's and A7r Mod, they are a dream to use, and really I am now reluctant to opt for many of my Leica M lenses as much as I love them. Of course there is the new FE 35/1.4 that is just available and the background bokeh is smooth, but at the expense of weight and size.

The IQ, weight, size and ergonomics the Loxia's are great option IMO :)

V

Vivek

Uhoh7, I agree. There is a cost to be paid for the silence from the A7s. After 4K actuations, I am now beginning to understand its limits. It is a fantastic camera no doubt but it is not an M killer by any stretch and neither will be a future A7x. :)

cam

Uhoh7, I agree. There is a cost to be paid for the silence from the A7s. After 4K actuations, I am now beginning to understand its limits. It is a fantastic camera no doubt but it is not an M killer by any stretch and neither will be a future A7x. :)
I agree with you both.

The images can't touch the M. Period... That said, the silence *is* gorgeous and allows it to be shot in so many instances that I couldn't get away with on my M.

I don't regret getting the A7S, though. It won't make my heart sing like the M, but it allows me to get away with a lot I'd never be able to without it's silence and amazing high ISO. It will make a lovely travel camera and it does make me smile.

The Loxia lenses may be amazing but, frankly, I really don't want to plunk down that cash on manual focus glass when I already have a plethora of beauties at my disposal. They may be better than the more sterile lenses in the AF FE line-up but, frankly, it's become a bit of a game with me to try and shoot through things and/or reflections to add something special to the image (yes, Vivek, I'll post an example tomorrow -- taken with Guy's old 35/2.8)... Besides, I bought a camera that auto-focuses so guess what I want my lenses to do?

Manual focus may seem a novelty to those who aren't shooting it regularly but, for me, if I'm going to focus myself -- give me my M!

slickster

Please take and post some images taken with your "M" and favorite "M" glass and also the same with the Sony and fe glass so that we also can understand how that "M" stuff is considered by you to be so much above the Sony stuff.

Cheers, Monty

iiiNelson

I agree with you both.

The images can't touch the M. Period... That said, the silence *is* gorgeous and allows it to be shot in so many instances that I couldn't get away with on my M.

I don't regret getting the A7S, though. It won't make my heart sing like the M, but it allows me to get away with a lot I'd never be able to without it's silence and amazing high ISO. It will make a lovely travel camera and it does make me smile.

The Loxia lenses may be amazing but, frankly, I really don't want to plunk down that cash on manual focus glass when I already have a plethora of beauties at my disposal. They may be better than the more sterile lenses in the AF FE line-up but, frankly, it's become a bit of a game with me to try and shoot through things and/or reflections to add something special to the image (yes, Vivek, I'll post an example tomorrow -- taken with Guy's old 35/2.8)... Besides, I bought a camera that auto-focuses so guess what I want my lenses to do?

Manual focus may seem a novelty to those who aren't shooting it regularly but, for me, if I'm going to focus myself -- give me my M!
There are days I miss my M (and the only one I would buy today if buying back into Leica M is the MM) but to be honest it say in my Ona Berlin for 4 months untouched after I bought my A7 and A7R. It's not that I didn't love my M9's but rather the A7 series are just a lot more flexible. My ultimate goal was to consolidate from 4 systems (M, A, FE/E, and Micro 4/3) to 1 or 2 systems that could do most everything.

Now I'd say that the M and A77 could accomplish most anything but I'm never going to a smaller than FF sensor if I can help it for any of the photography that I do for myself. It's just not the same no matter how much sensor technology improves. I've also traveled across Europe and Africa with that kit a couple times... Well the M was the only camera that continued to travel with me after the second time I brought along my APS-C DSLR kit. My A7 bodies are a lot lighter and infinitely more flexible than either and that's my main motivation to use them. Even the larger lenses are relatively light compared to the competition in many cases (although it's often apples to oranges while the system is being built out.)

No doubt that the M has the best collection of primes of any system short of going Medium Format and I don't think anyone in their right mind could argue against that fact. The Loxia looks decent but unless I see something mind blowing (for the same reason I spent 3X the price of the 35 Biogon ZM on a 35 Cron ASPH)I will probably stick with my original plan and buy the 35 Distagon.