The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Loxia 35mm

iiiNelson

I agree. Nostalgia does have it's place but I think we are nearing a time where there may be a less rational reason for the masses to choose OVF other than preference.

I still lean towards the preference of having a choice between either OVF/EVF as I try my best to not fit everyone into MY box. Outside of using a rangefinder or maybe even MF I can't see much purpose in going back to OVF for me either. It's difficult to go back to not having WYSIWYG after being accustomed to it.

thomas

Coming from a optical finder for many years I got the hang of EVF pretty quickly. Now I don't even realize it anymore.
EVERY finder image is just an "abstraction" ("translation") of the final image (the actual photo). EVFs (with magnification) are really great when hyper-critical sharpness is the target (though I also have no issues to hit focus with my Contax 645 or Cambo WRS). EVFs are a nightmare when it comes to the "emotion" or better let's say "expression" of an image (the EVF-image mostly doesn't "translate" to a useful photo...)... at least for me personally.
Me I feel much more "connected" to the motif when shooting with OVFs (even with groundglasses... although the subject is upside-down). I somehow know how the final photo will look like (well, at least I have a specific idea how it will like...). I have absolutely no issues when shooting with EVF... but for me personally the abstraction regarding the the final image is MORE ... not less.
It all comes down to where you are comming from. Nothing wrong or right with either methods of "viewing" the future image in camera ...

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Hmmm - very interesting comments. I love EVF and have been using it pretty exclusively for the last few months as the weather has not been conducive to using my MF system and tripod work. (Tough setting up in a metre of snow and yes, I'm a wimp.)

BUT - today I yanked out my Phase DF and was immediately struck by the size, clarity and "presence" of the image through the viewfinder.

Thanks heavens we have so many options these days!

Bill

iiiNelson

BUT - today I yanked out my Phase DF and was immediately struck by the size, clarity and "presence" of the image through the viewfinder.

Thanks heavens we have so many options these days!

Bill
Amen... I certainly wouldn't kick a larger EVF (or OVF for that matter) "out of bed" as the expression goes. Viewfinders are sort of like TV's - you can never really go too big.

cam

Amen... I certainly wouldn't kick a larger EVF (or OVF for that matter) "out of bed" as the expression goes. Viewfinders are sort of like TV's - you can never really go too big.
You leave me no choice but to think rude thoughts -- merci! :p

iiiNelson

Ah... no, it's very, very easy :D :ROTFL:
For you maybe...

If I were to ever choose to go back to a DSLR type camera I'd probably choose a Pentax 645Z (or whatever the current model is down the line) or a CMOS Digital Back because I don't want to lose that functionality for myself. It's also a huge leap in potential IQ versus a 35mm based system.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I did finally get out and test some basic tests against the 16-35 at 35 for comparison. Try to get them up soon. From the LCD I can tell you now I like this lens. I know is there a Zeiss I don't like. Lol

Chris C

I'm intrigued by the Loxia options, but aren't they stop-down lenses?

My first 35mm camera [over 40 years ago] was a Russian Zenith B with a stop-down lens; it drove me nuts!

I don't recall anyone commenting on drawbacks of Loxia manual aperture stop-down either here or elsewhere. For those of us who prefer f8 to f2, would users care to comment on whether it's an issue or not for good focus, and whether they focus wide open and then shut down, or manage to focus at f8?

You'd be correct to assume from my question that I have not yet switched to the a7 platform.

.............. Chris

Guy Mancuso

Mostly when using focus peaking and the zoom features it becomes irrelevant being stopped down or not. The camera has live view effects on which compensate for light levels to bring them up to normal viewing. Now you can see the focus peaking get more intense when stopping down and that's helpful for DOF as you can see your range very nicely. Now the Loxia lenses are manual aperture and not on the camera but you get full EXIF data in camera and in post so if you stop down you see your value in finder or LCD. So you know where your at at all times. Here is the good news focus creeping is really eliminated as well because your focusing at let's say 5.6 and shooting at 5.6 than focus creeping is no longer a issue it's already compensated for as you focus.

iiiNelson

I'm intrigued by the Loxia options, but aren't they stop-down lenses?

My first 35mm camera [over 40 years ago] was a Russian Zenith B with a stop-down lens; it drove me nuts!

I don't recall anyone commenting on drawbacks of Loxia manual aperture stop-down either here or elsewhere. For those of us who prefer f8 to f2, would users care to comment on whether it's an issue or not for good focus, and whether they focus wide open and then shut down, or manage to focus at f8?

You'd be correct to assume from my question that I have not yet switched to the a7 platform.

.............. Chris
Maybe I'm not getting the question but are you asking if it's necessary to stop down to focus the lens? If no the answer is no because they are manual focus with a mechanical aperture ring. They will focus wherever you manually place the focus. The zoom focus feature of the EVF aids in making it easier to achieve focus manually but the same feature can be achieved with all lenses to include the AF lenses if so desired.

That's the best way I can describe it without putting a camera in your hands.

Guy Mancuso

I can tell you something right out of the gate from this morning manually focusing the Sony 16-35 zoom AF lens compared to the Loxia 35 manual lens that the action on the zoom to focus is loose because its a AF lens so much harder to focus manually over the Loxia which is a nice tight focus throw and more importantly you can see the pop better with regards to focus peaking and contrast. Much easier to nail the Loxia over the zoom in manual focus mode. Now the zoom does have the advantage to AF when needed.

iiiNelson

Yeah focus by wire isn't optimum (to be nice about it) but I've gotten to where I hate it less (sometimes I actually get along with it) because I have a love hate relationship with most AF systems that I've tried short of pro Canon bodies (1D/5D/7D series.)

Guy Mancuso

Fair warning the Loxia 35mm F2 just flat out smokes the 16-35 at 35mm. Just smokes its, it was what I counted on and suspected all along. Im working on the comparison but the real surprise is central sharpness. I'm floored on what I am seeing. Stay tuned for a new thread on this soon. So far very pleased indeed

V

Vivek

OK, it eats breakfast and it smokes. :D It must be alive then! :ROTFL:

V

Vivek

Guy, Post some pics already. You are just ratcheting up the tension here. :)

Guy Mancuso

Im actually completely surprised at the Loxia as the reviews are its very nice but not really sharp wide open. BULLSHIT all of it. LOL

Just to wet your whistle. 100 percent crop at F2 and it gets better