The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Loxia 35mm

Chris C

..... are you asking if it's necessary to stop down to focus the lens? ..... they are manual focus with a mechanical aperture ring..... The zoom focus feature of the EVF aids in making it easier to achieve focus manually......
Thank you for replying. Perhaps my query was clumsy. I was actually asking if it is necessary to open-up to focus. I understand Loxias are manual focus with manual aperture ring. I'd like to know if focusing at f8 is accurate and efficient with 'focus-peaking', or whether the increased depth of field of f8 makes accurate EVF focusing difficult at that aperture.

............ Chris

V

Vivek

You can use the magnification function (at f/8) to focus accurately using the EVF. Personally, I do not rely on the peaking function. It is often unreliable and just lights up whatever is contrasty in the frame.

iiiNelson

Agreed that the peeking on anything more than low is pretty useless for shooting most lenses wide open. It's decent to get you in the ballpark but critical focus requires magnification IMO.

Chris C

You can use the magnification function (at f/8) to focus accurately using the EVF. Personally, I do not rely on the peaking function. It is often unreliable and just lights up whatever is contrasty in the frame.
And :

Agreed that the peeking on anything more than low is pretty useless for shooting most lenses wide open. It's decent to get you in the ballpark but critical focus requires magnification IMO.
Thank you both for helpful explanations. Before I make my move [a7rII, a9 ?] I'll test how I get on with magnified EVF focusing with my 'sometimes-dodgy' focusing eye. If I can focus with 'peaking' off; that would be terrific.

The ZM 35mm Biogon-C was fabulous on Leica M, these Loxias seem to be wonderful lenses for Sony.

................ Chris

iiiNelson

And :

Thank you both for helpful explanations. Before I make my move [a7rII, a9 ?] I'll test how I get on with magnified EVF focusing with my 'sometimes-dodgy' focusing eye. If I can focus with 'peaking' off; that would be terrific.

The ZM 35mm Biogon-C was fabulous on Leica M, these Loxias seem to be wonderful lenses for Sony.

................ Chris

Well there's two levels of magnification. If you can't focus with the high power magnification then you probably shouldn't be behind the wheel on public roads either without corrective lenses. :ROTFL:

thomas

My Loxia 35 has been shipped today.
It's in the evening now... so no chance to test the lens at home.
But unpacked it and first thing I noticed is the aperture-ring has to be turned to right to stop down (or vice versa to the left to open up).
EVERY other lens I have is the other way around ...
Didn't take notice on the product images seen on the web ... but immediately noticed it when I had the lens in my hands.
Not a big deal... but yet again a counter-intuitive "innovation" :wtf:

iiiNelson

Yeah... That's the way Fuji and Nikon lenses are... It's like left handed people designed these things.

thomas

Yeah... That's the way Fuji and Nikon lenses are... It's like left handed people designed these things.
:D
I had/have ... Pentax, Leica, ZM-Zeiss, Zeiss-Contax (645 & 135), Voigtländer, Schneider, Rodenstock, Minolta, Sony... as far as the aperture ring goes they are all the same.
Nikon and Fuji are doing it wrong :)
In all seriousness... all lenses in the history of this system are desgined the other way around. And all Zeiss-lenses I know of, too.
Why the hell did they change this?

iiiNelson

:D
I had/have ... Pentax, Leica, ZM-Zeiss, Zeiss-Contax (645 & 135), Voigtländer, Schneider, Rodenstock, Minolta, Sony... as far as the aperture ring goes they are all the same.
Nikon and Fuji are doing it wrong :)
In all seriousness... all lenses in the history of this system are desgined the other way around. And all Zeiss-lenses I know of, too.
Why the hell did they change this?
Yeah I agree... Nikon lenses mount the wrong way too... Go figure!?! :loco: