The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Loxia 35mm

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I have to say it. If you have a issue with a lens like this than your crazy. This is one heck of a nice lens. Perfect size, weight and balance on the A7 series. Focus is butter and like other Zeiss glass nice contrast for very easy focusing. Just been playing and even without the magnifier I'm pretty much dead on straight up. Obviously focus peaking is the major reason I even switched to Sony.

I want one in every flavor to be honest. Talk about a nice travel kit. The 16-35, Loxia 35, 50 and if they had a 90 I could travel the planet and would want nothing else in the bag.

Here is the real kicker here. First FE native lens that I don't need AF to nail it. Put another way AF just might be overrated given how nice these focus. Said a diffrent way I could get by with a 4 lens Loxia kit alone.

Put another way don't overlook these Loxia. I'm actually glad I backed off the 35 1.4 at least for now. Saved 400 dollars which I put somewhere else. I'm really tempted to get the 50 now.

I'll try and get out and get some tests done but I have kind of a busy weekend coming. I do want to compare it to the 16-35.

BTW this is the first time EVER I am using the OEM hood it's that nice and at least a half inch of the hood goes over the lens itself. So the hood may look big by itself but on the lens it's perfect in size.

So all the folks that want small lenses for this system well you don't have to look far. They just need a 21,28,75, 90 and a 135 to add to the lineup

Tim

Our own Louis Berk wrote a review that echoes your sentiments.

LouisBerk.com - Zeiss Loxia 35/2 Review

Either the 50 or 35mm is on my radar. I can't really stretch to both. The 35 might get the nod or I buy the 50 and end up selling the 50 to get a 35 anyway. :)

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Everything I read (and I would assume this without reading opinions based on the ZM Planar) is that the 50 is the real jewel of the Loxia lineup especially when it comes to the higher MP bodies.

V

Vivek

So all the folks that want small lenses for this system well you don't have to look far. They just need a 21,28,75, 90 and a 135 to add to the lineup
While I look forward to your pictures, I can not wait for a Loxi 28 to appear to compare with the Sony FE 28/2. :D

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Seems like a really great lens! Even if the 1.4/35 has AF and is faster, I would prefer this Loxia, as it gives finally a complete lightweight and handy package with perfect IQ. Would obviously make a nice combo with the new A7II as well, really tempting!

My issue is that I would need to jump into another system to get it and I already have too many systems .... :LOL:

Just my 5c.

Eoin

I'm sold on the Loxia path but refuse to invest until I see the complete line up so as I can pick and choose my 3 or 4 lens setup. a 28/50/90 trio or a 21/35/75/100.
It'll be interesting to read your experiences with this 35 Loxia Guy, you're a dab hand of evaluating, hyping and then swapping out glass ... the proof will be in how long this stays in the bag. :)

In the mean time I'll just stick with the cheap and cheerful C/Y lenses.

dchew

I rented the 35 Loxia from Lensrentals a month or so ago and also fell for it. The copy I had was marginally better than my 35 FE, but the way it handles on the camera is so much nicer. I generally prefer manual focus, and it was light years better for that than the native FE's.

Sean Reid complained that the aperture should have been controlled so you could focus wide open then the camera could stop down for the shot. I get that, but to me if it looks good zoomed in, it is good enough for hand held shooting. If I want something better I can focus open on a tripod then stop down. It's a trade off between focus shift and focus accuracy I suppose.

Regardless, this lens is next on my list.

Dave

Guy Mancuso

Well I bought the A7r mainly to do manual focus with focus peaking and all that to do landscape and some commercial work. I bought the A7II for PR and AF. So for me primes are usually for the A7r and zooms are for the A7II. Obviously I can mix that up but all this depends on your intent on what you do. Reality is most of us don't really need AF and it's sometimes more a connivence than a real need. Generally speaking of course but usually AF lenses don't focus very nicely when using them in manual mode. Take the 55 for example its kind of free flowing and harder to focus manually. This Loxia is butter smooth on manual. So that I like a lot . I think for a lot of us here on the forum most like a certain combo of both. I bought the 16-35 mainly for PR but since it turns out to be killer good than its serving a dual roll.

From what I have seen so far these Loxias are more look lenses than lets say a Sigma ART brittle sharpness lens. The bokeh for example on this Loxia 35 is killer nice with bokeh and part reason I backed off on the 35 1.4. I can live with F2 but if I get the look of 1.4 than I'm ahead of the game both in costs, size and weight. My Mitikan 50 does not focus as nicely as this for example. I may get the 50 just to match my 35. One reason I sold my 55mm which I loved was it looked a little too sterile to me. Great lens but if your after look than maybe not the best choice. Honestly I'm a little tired of shooting for 100 percent zoom sharpness. Although having at least one killer sharp lens is nice.

Guy Mancuso

I'll get the new 28mm mainly for PR low light stuff but I'm rethinking 50 and above. I'm actually thinking of selling my 85 1.4 get a nice Leica 75 or 90 to replace it for landscape but also add the 70-200 for studio and PR too. I'm keeping the Minolta 200mm regardless of what I do. But we do need FE mount 85 and 135 in some form to hit the streets.

ggibson

So do you use focus peaking with the Loxia? I've found peaking helpful when I'm looking at a full view, but magnified there's enough detail that I don't necessarily need it (and sometimes it seems like peaking gets in the way). Since the Loxia can auto-engage the magnifier, I figured it'd be a lens to use without peaking.

iiiNelson

Well I bought the A7r mainly to do manual focus with focus peaking and all that to do landscape and some commercial work. I bought the A7II for PR and AF. So for me primes are usually for the A7r and zooms are for the A7II. Obviously I can mix that up but all this depends on your intent on what you do. Reality is most of us don't really need AF and it's sometimes more a connivence than a real need. Generally speaking of course but usually AF lenses don't focus very nicely when using them in manual mode. Take the 55 for example its kind of free flowing and harder to focus manually. This Loxia is butter smooth on manual. So that I like a lot . I think for a lot of us here on the forum most like a certain combo of both. I bought the 16-35 mainly for PR but since it turns out to be killer good than its serving a dual roll.

From what I have seen so far these Loxias are more look lenses than lets say a Sigma ART brittle sharpness lens. The bokeh for example on this Loxia 35 is killer nice with bokeh and part reason I backed off on the 35 1.4. I can live with F2 but if I get the look of 1.4 than I'm ahead of the game both in costs, size and weight. My Mitikan 50 does not focus as nicely as this for example. I may get the 50 just to match my 35. One reason I sold my 55mm which I loved was it looked a little too sterile to me. Great lens but if your after look than maybe not the best choice. Honestly I'm a little tired of shooting for 100 percent zoom sharpness. Although having at least one killer sharp lens is nice.
I've mulled over the decision to add the 35 Loxia and the 28FE now that I see its a lot better than I really hoped for. I still have the Sigma Art 35/1.4 so I don't NEED the Distagon although it would certain save some space in my bag over the Sigma since I wouldn't need the adapter. The good thing is that I still have time to decide which way to go. It's actually a case where I'm leaning toward both have room in the bag... Certainly the 50 Loxia does because it's my preferred focal length and different from the 55FE.

Guy Mancuso

I use focus peaking in low mostly so it does not interfere so much with what my eye sees. Loxia 50 is on my radar

iiiNelson

I found focus peaking on medium or high to be far too aggressive (read: optimistic) in my experience. Mine is usually on low or off. I find that I can nail focus easy enough with just magnification.

anGy

I'll get the new 28mm mainly for PR low light stuff but I'm rethinking 50 and above. I'm actually thinking of selling my 85 1.4 get a nice Leica 75 or 90 to replace it for landscape but also add the 70-200 for studio and PR too. I'm keeping the Minolta 200mm regardless of what I do. But we do need FE mount 85 and 135 in some form to hit the streets.
Just a tip regarding 90mm lenses:
After purchasing the 50mm Mitakon for my A7II I decided to sell my Leica 75mm Summarit. A nice little lens but too close from the 50mm focal length. My dealer did a trade against a 90mm Summicron pre-Asph. Better image than the 75 Summarit for drawing and character but less resolution in the corners. A bit disappointing. So I exchanged it against the 90mm Summarit. Corners resolution has been improved again but were far from perfect. The image quality & character, although respectable in most cases, weren't that exciting. But ok, the 90mm summarit + A7II is still a very nice combo IMO.

Then, after the 3rd attempt I finally found the little jewel I was looking after: the 90mm Macro-Elmar !
This lens has a very good reputation and is praised by some reputable bloggers (Tashley f.i.). It's not easy to really understand why (resolution is very good, not astounding, color aberration is present but well controlled). So is this lens just 'good and uber compact' or is there something else ?
Decided to see by myself and visited my dealer to make another trade (with some serious extra cash...).
So now, after a few days of use I'm completely sold by this little 90mm. I won't try to describe its character (too difficult for my poor english) but will just say that I've found some evident relationship between my Leica S lenses and this little guy. Same kind of drawing, clarity, class. Early findings but very, very promising. And yes it's soooo small and light (230g) also.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well I have to say it. If you have a issue with a lens like this than your crazy.
I have a huge issue with manual focus when great AF is available WITH great lenses in other systems. Sony needs to step up their game or the A7 series will die.

/rant

anGy

The Sony manual focusing implementation combined with good Leica /Zeiss lenses make it a pleasant experience. I now much prefer manual focus with peaking than AF. Better control, more fun than moving the AF cursors all the time (ok focus/recompose also exists, I know).
Leave the AF lenses for action and enjoy the manual focusing for the rest, a nice way to chase perfection for catching excellence ;-)

Guy Mancuso

I have a huge issue with manual focus when great AF is available WITH great lenses in other systems. Sony needs to step up their game or the A7 series will die.

/rant
What have not been paying attention. Zeiss 35 1.4 AF coming this week. They already have a 35 2.8 AF. This lens was my choice to go manual. Jack hate to say it but Nikons 35 offerings are pretty piss poor too . You forget I have been there done that.

You may have issue with manual focus but a lot of people prefer it. Your starting to sound like a Sony hater. That's not you my friend. Okay back to my grass cutting and maintence crap. Lol