The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FE 35mm f1.4 shipping notification

jfirneno

So Amazon has sent me a message saying:

"Sony SEL35F14Z Distagon T FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA Standard-Prime Lens for Mirrorless Cameras" Estimated arrival date: April 02, 2015.

I'm not complaining but I'm surprised because I never usually get my stuff on-time. I'm always a month behind the first deliveries. I put my pre-order in the second day they were available.

Has anybody else gotten one of these notes?

jfirneno

Well, they really can deliver it fast when they want to....

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 6:27 AM, Bozrah CT US Out for delivery
Tuesday, March 31, 2015 4:38 AM, Bozrah CT US Package arrived at a carrier facility
Tuesday, March 31, 2015 3:01 AM, Stratford CT US Package has left the carrier facility
Tuesday, March 31, 2015 12:01 AM, Stratford CT US Package arrived at a carrier facility
Monday, March 30, 2015 9:05 PM, Lawnside NJ US Package has left the carrier facility
Monday, March 30, 2015 5:23 PM, Lawnside NJ US Package arrived at a carrier facility
Monday, March 30, 2015 1:20 PM, Middletown DE US Package received by carrier
Aonday, March 30, 2015 1:25 PM, US Package has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier

What I find really interesting is that at one point the package actually was able to go back in time and arrive five minutes before it left. I had no idea amazon employed time travel as part of their prime delivery service.

jfirneno

So you know everyone is waiting on your findings as well.
There will probably be a little daylight when I get home tonight. What type of shot would be of value, specifically? I've seen those slanted landscape shots that put something beside sky in the corners. I can try to get a couple of those. Maybe a wide open an f4 and an f8?

iiiNelson

Thanks for this and to be honest I'm not a "corner freak" or a "pixel peeper" at the extreme corners but I realize this is a relevant piece of information to landscapers/people not as interested in street shooting.

I'm really only concerned about the signature, color, pop, tonal transition/roll-offs, and overall character.

jfirneno

Thanks for this and to be honest I'm not a "corner freak" or a "pixel peeper" at the extreme corners but I realize this is a relevant piece of information to landscapers/people not as interested in street shooting.

I'm really only concerned about the signature, color, pop, tonal transition/roll-offs, and overall character.
Unfortunately these were taken in the flattest ugliest light imaginable. I'll try to take something interesting soon.

jfirneno

Hired Arm:
Here's some random shots in better light. An awful lot of them are evergreen foliage (still winter here). Hand held and no attempt at corner sharpness. I'm not sure if these give you an idea about its rendering but at least there's a little more color.

Regards,
John

iiiNelson

That actually helps a lot to compare with what Guy is putting up in the Loxia thread. This might get interesting.

jfirneno

That actually helps a lot to compare with what Guy is putting up in the Loxia thread. This might get interesting.
Hired Arm:

I'm glad it helps. I'll try to get a good bokeh shot soon. The biggest surprise for me with this lens is the shock at how big it looks compared to the FE 35 f2.8. Funny thing is it's not extremely heavy.

Guy:

I really enjoyed your thread on the Loxia. That looks like a killer lens. I rented the Loxia 50 back in December and loved it. Focusing it was a pleasure. Loved the look it gave to some close up work I shot. After having no lenses to buy, now Sony has so many choices I'm afraid for my bank balance. What a wonderful problem to have to worry about. Truth be told, if they come out with a great 21mm I think they'll have covered all the bases for me (obviously other folks' mileage will vary but c'est la vie).

iiiNelson

Yeah I didn't think the lens would be so heavy and the balance was my only concern but Chad passed that tidbit of info in the 28mm thread.

jfirneno

Bear with me, this is my attempt at bokeh...

Hired Arm:

I'm trying to give you an idea of the OOF look of this lens. Obviously bokeh is not my forte. All at f1.4.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Thanks for this. Bokeh seems to be a bit more refined than it is on the 55FE.

Last edited:

jfirneno

Thanks for this. Bokeh seems to be a bit more refined than it is on the 55FE.
Well I like the separation effect of wide aperture lenses but I must confess that my criticism of this aspect of image making is not as developed as I've heard from other people. I guess I recognize when bokeh is very "nervous" but I don't seem to be able to rank the very best bokeh lenses against each other. To me all the smooth bokeh lenses look just about as good.

iiiNelson

Well I like the separation effect of wide aperture lenses but I must confess that my criticism of this aspect of image making is not as developed as I've heard from other people. I guess I recognize when bokeh is very "nervous" but I don't seem to be able to rank the very best bokeh lenses against each other. To me all the smooth bokeh lenses look just about as good.
Yeah it's just noticing the Zeiss family resemblance for me. I think overall they're sort of my favorite lens brand on look/rendering but they aren't the most neutral look by any definition.