The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Limiting ISO to 800 on A7 cameras

Steve P.

I was just having a laugh with someone who I know shoots with a D810 and Df, hence the smiley face at the end of the brief comment. No offence meant, but you're over-reacting.

iiiNelson

I was just having a laugh with someone who I know shoots with a D810 and Df, hence the smiley face at the end of the brief comment. No offence meant, but you're over-reacting.
That rant wasn't directed at you Steve and I understood the tongue in cheek nature of your comment. I actually agree with everything you said and no it's not an overreaction but rather an elephant in the room that just rarely (if ever) gets addressed...

I'll admit to been accused of being the direct Type-A kind of person though.

Steve P.

Fair enough HiredArm. Thanks for the clarification. Sometimes it's hard to guage someone's tone from a forum post when you can't hear their voice. It's all good.

iiiNelson

Fair enough HiredArm. Thanks for the clarification. Sometimes it's hard to guage someone's tone from a forum post when you can't hear their voice. It's all good.
Yup... I'm a pretty calm person even in disagreement which I guess one would only know by face to face interaction. Definitely direct... Very calm.

ggibson

The main example that I can think of where I want to shoot at ISO 1600-6400 is astrophotography. Getting a good exposure of the milky way is tricky, even for these cameras. I guess this seems to suggest it's fine to use ISO 800 and push the shadows up in post. As mentioned earlier, blown highlights aren't usually a big concern in low-light situations, but I suppose if you have a lit foreground object it could make a difference.

slickster

""Being a former Leica shooter/owner listening to CaNikon guys spout off FPS numbers, ISO numbers, say that Leica shooters were mostly collectors (although 90% of the Leica shooters out there were infinitely better photographers than the trolls) ""...... WOW, never knew that.

Monty