The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

leica 90mm f/2.8 elmarit-m & close up filters

karlfoto

I finally purchased a good used leica 90mm f/2.8 elmarit-m, and am eagerly waiting for it to arrive.

Which would give me better/closer macro, a set of multi-coated close up lenses, or a helicoid adaptor like hawks or VM? I recall reading that the adaptor option won't give me much more of a closer focus, I think 70cm vs 100cm?

I do very little macro work, and just want the capability on hiking trips if i come across something interesting to shoot.

I use my close up lens on my voitlander 90mm for canon and it seems pretty good.

Thanx

Viramati

The VM adaptor is good and well made though somewhat on the heavy side it will give you the possibility To focus closer though it hardly turns it into a macro lens

biglouis

I have the VM close focus adapter from Voigtlander and it gives marginal improvement in close focus for the 90/2.8.

That said my experience is that with the amazing 'cropability' of the A7R sensor you can crop down to fine detail which the close focus adapter does somewhat improve.

LouisB

Bimjo

As stated, while the Hawk's or VM will reduce the minimum focus distance of the 90 it will not get you into macro range.

Since you already have a closeup lens, why not mount it and give it a go? ;)

karlfoto

I have a 39mm close up lens on my voigtlander 90mm lanthar.

Does anyone have any idea how this equates the various 1-4 diopters close up filter kits?

Thanx