The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

90FE Macro Images

jfirneno

First the Sony FE system had more cameras than lenses. Now they've switched it up and are trying to bankrupt me with great (but enormously expensive) lenses. I've got a great A-mount macro lens that I can use either manual (LAEA3) or with the LAEA4 autofocus adapter. That should inocculate me against this macro lens, but for someone coming fresh to the Sony system this should be exciting. I guess this would be a good but very sharp portrait lens. Let's call it a portrait lens for young people.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm looking to replace my 85 1.4 somehow. I would like AF for it too but needs to be a fast AF at distance also.

V

Vivek

First the Sony FE system had more cameras than lenses. Now they've switched it up and are trying to bankrupt me with great (but enormously expensive) lenses. I've got a great A-mount macro lens that I can use either manual (LAEA3) or with the LAEA4 autofocus adapter. That should inocculate me against this macro lens, but for someone coming fresh to the Sony system this should be exciting. I guess this would be a good but very sharp portrait lens. Let's call it a portrait lens for young people.
That Gustav is wicked. He deliberately posted low contrast images with no sharpening for this very reason. ;) This is not his usual fare.

ggibson

It's worth pointing out for those bird shots that 1-3 are A7ii and 4-7 are A6000. This lens looks the sharpest of the 4 recent releases from what I've seen so far.

Slingers

Gustav always releases great images from the new cameras and lenses. Sony should name a camera after him since he's sold so much for them.

iiiNelson

Yeah I just saw those. Definitely a must buy for me for portraits (younger and softer skin only I'm afraid) and Macro.

iiiNelson

Yeah it would make for a great bday present... Maybe I should start leaving hints around the house.

philip_pj

random thoughts: ah, people's choices for test shots...I guess it's understandable given it's a macro but many or most will want to see tougher environment shooting, of subjects at 5m or so at varying apertures, with strong light to get a gauge on CA and drawing style.

And real people with real skin in the real world in real light. And bokeh in these conditions too, this is the real killer test for such lenses - how well is LoCA handled? What is focus fade like, apart from subjects at 1m? And infinity, how about one of the far side of Pt Phillip Bay, or even the bow of the Spirit. The quay shot has so much sharpening you can see it in the thumbnail. Wonder if it's a pre-release, with final tuning still to go? It's not due until July. And please, put it on the a7r. And decent size files too. OSS looks like it will go good, and the AF is the new system with two groups moving, so good too.

Full of questions, but I gots to know before any card reaching. Thanks to Mark for these, nevertheless, much appreciated.

iiiNelson

random thoughts: ah, people's choices for test shots...I guess it's understandable given it's a macro but many or most will want to see tougher environment shooting, of subjects at 5m or so at varying apertures, with strong light to get a gauge on CA and drawing style.

And real people with real skin in the real world in real light. And bokeh in these conditions too, this is the real killer test for such lenses - how well is LoCA handled? What is focus fade like, apart from subjects at 1m? And infinity, how about one of the far side of Pt Phillip Bay, or even the bow of the Spirit. The quay shot has so much sharpening you can see it in the thumbnail. Wonder if it's a pre-release, with final tuning still to go? It's not due until July. And please, put it on the a7r. And decent size files too. OSS looks like it will go good, and the AF is the new system with two groups moving, so good too.

Full of questions, but I gots to know before any card reaching. Thanks to Mark for these, nevertheless, much appreciated.
I'm pretty sure that all of these are shot on an A7R according to the Flickr metadata... The outdoor pier shots are at f/8 and all the others are WO at f/2.8. The lens looks pretty consistent to me in the drawing WO or down 3 stops.

I sort of prefer people showing what's possible with what I assume is minimal processing (WB, light sharpening, and MAYBE a bit of extra saturation for pop.)

Last edited: