The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Switching tires

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I was going to recommend the A7s as well. It locks on in low light with f/4 lenses no problem. I actually tried it last summer in the stock room with the 70-200 mounted of the GAS Pusher (camera store.) I was shooting and locking on stopped down to f/8 with ISO between 25600 and 102400. Really impressive and if Sony put out a replacement in the future with at least 16MP I'll buy one as my everyday camera no question.
I was just waiting for someone to tell me this. LOL

Need loan shark. ROTFLMAO

Seriously to stay in the FE mount this maybe the answer. This is becoming a math issue now.

A7r =1200

iiiNelson

Maybe renting is the smart way to go until you see first hand if it works for you and you sinking money into it or rid yourself of gear you may later regret selling prematurely.

I can tell you that of the 3 original FE bodies that it locks on and focuses in lowlight significantly faster that the other 2 which I still own. I haven't handled a A7mk2 (on purpose) so I can't compare it to that but the A7s will also grant you tethered live view in C1P8 if that matters to you as well. 12MP is fine for smaller prints up to 12x18@360dpi IMO but I'd want more MP for cropping or prints 16x24 or larger.

I personally print just about everything in either 18x27 or 24x36 (either@360dpi.)

Guy Mancuso

Actually I have read about the focusing abilities in low light in several places and been thinking about this cam out of the gate. Still noodling all of this. Costs are big here but it does make sense.

Guy Mancuso

Anyone need a A7r cheap. LOL

Than I could use the 24-70 with the A7s and that would be a pretty decent combo for this stuff. Than when the A7r replacement comes I can sell the A7II and jump up.

The A7II is just a damn good all arounder cam. The A7s gets me the speed and the A7RII gets me the mpx. That separates my system better but can compliment it also

iiiNelson

Trying to decide I have a member that will take my 85mm in trade for a A7s and cash of course.
Well you can always crop a 50-ish lens on the A7r to get you close to 85 until the 90FE is released in a couple months. Who knows maybe you just trade out the A7R then. I'm sure the replacement will be announced if not released by July.

Guy Mancuso

Hate losing lenses here in a way. But if all works out I could get the 24-70 F4 and the Loxia 50mm F2. Need to sell the Mitikan and A7r immediately

Paratom

I dont find the 2470 that bad on the A7II, but if light is low I prefer the 35/2.8FE or the Loxia.
Tonight I took images with a DF and 35/1.4G at ISO 10.000. Wow, I wonder why people say the DF doesnt focus in low light. Maybe they use slow lenses.

iiiNelson

Not to confuse you but would a 16-35 combined with a 70-200 on a A7S work better than the 24-70 since you have the middle covered with a 50-ish lens?

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Guy,

Reality is you deal with the poor AF of the Sony mirrorless ... shoot MF .... or move back to a system that has adequate AF ... and it is not any of the small mirrorless cams.

I have the A7s Ricoh GXR M module and the Nikon D810 ...

The A7s is profoundly great for MF video in 4K

The GXR profoundly great for MF stills

The D810 has AF that rivals any camera on the market for your needs....
not a sports camera but for most everything else it smokes the systems on the mirrorless cameras.

Most of my lenses are Nikon mount adapted to the A7s ... but they work on the D810.

D810 rivals the Df and is close to the D3s and Canon 1Dx for anything short of a feral hog in attack mode.

The color of the D810 is Sony A850 realm.

LISTEN to Jack ...

Truth is you can make any of it work but that would take the fun out of the quest...

Bob

Slingers

The AF on the A7S in low light always amazes me. My NEX-7 is now MF only for me now as the AF frustrates me after using the A7S. In low light the NEX hunts and the LAEA4 isn't much better, they both are frustrating outside of daylight. In my tests the NEX-7 and the A7R AF was very similar.

Guy Mancuso

I'm actually going to stay pat on the A7r and sell my 85 1.4 and get a 24-70 zoom 2.8 . I think the one stop will help. The A7II is actually good with the 16-35 but not the 24-70 Sony and not sure why that is. I also have the Loxia 35 and 50 coming as needed in that area. My mention of Sony and fast AF is more the A77II but DSLR cams are a non starter for me. I'm so freaking bored of them I can't tell us. 40 years of any one thing is way too long. I like the good parts of mirror less . I would not go back for a slight increase in the D810 ability. Not a big enough jump from what I sold off.

Jim DE

Guy my guess is the next generation of these full frame mirrorless cameras should come really close to bridging the gap between dSLR performance and mirrorless performance. If it does I know most of my 22 A mount lenses will be hitting the selling block and I will convert to 95% E mount. I have lots of apc E mount glass but have not jumped on the a7x series as of yet because just before their release I bought a a99 and then the a77II for wildlife and macros.

I was a early adopter of the original NEX5 then the 7 and enjoy the pro's of mirrorless but like you AF speed was a issue. Bill with his BIF pelican pics with the a7II have me convinced the next generation should be good enough for my needs so I can make the move to nearly all E mount. Don't think I will run a adapter and long telephotos with it as it sort of loses it's design intent when used that way(I only used the adapter a few times with the Nex cameras and A mounts for the same reason.... if I am going big glass there is no need to go with a small body and adapter with it... might as well use a A mount body with it.

I am sure that someone will fill the demand for faster E mount glass if the demand is there whether it be Sony or a 3rd party company. As I see it E mount FE is still a new system and it has far more glass than we had when the NEX5 was in its second generation.

MikalWGrass

Guy, you could have had the 7s by now, with no loss of $$$$ if you had bought it sooner instead of buying the a6000 and a77II, which you probably lost a few shekels on when you sold them or traded them in.