The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Switching tires

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea . My issue still is cost and 12mpx with the S. If it had 16 or better I would have probably jumped on it.

fotografz

Honestly Guy, this is why I kept my A99 ... with the ZA24-70/2.8 pretty much glued to it.

Mostly for all the "expected" Donkey work at weddings and events. Really not all that much bulkier than the A7 with the LEA-4 adapter + ZA24-70/2.8 and I can assure you it AF better in lower light ... I use it in crap wedding reception light and dingy churches. I just don't want any unnecessary headaches when doing that "money making" part of a wedding.

It has IBIS, and the best articulated LCD I've ever seen ... which helps make up for the size. Add a speed-light and it all balances out better than with my A7 set-up

Personally, I refuse to buy a FE f/4 lens ... tried it and it just didn't work for me. For the A7 camera, I have the FE35/2.8 and FE55/1.8 for AF (which I should sell since I rarely use them). I either work with a few select M f/1.4 or f/2 lenses, or the fast aperture A mounts + LEA-4 ... the ZA24/2 is smaller and AF is quite fast ... which is my most used A mount lens on the A7R+LEA-4 ... don't use the ZA24-70/2.8 on the A7R unless for back-up.

I know you want to stick with the A7 bodies, but I'm glad I didn't sell my A99/ZA kit for the very reason you posted this thread.

- Marc

Paratom

I'm actually going to stay pat on the A7r and sell my 85 1.4 and get a 24-70 zoom 2.8 . I think the one stop will help. The A7II is actually good with the 16-35 but not the 24-70 Sony and not sure why that is. I also have the Loxia 35 and 50 coming as needed in that area. My mention of Sony and fast AF is more the A77II but DSLR cams are a non starter for me. I'm so freaking bored of them I can't tell us. 40 years of any one thing is way too long. I like the good parts of mirror less . I would not go back for a slight increase in the D810 ability. Not a big enough jump from what I sold off.
Putting a big DSLR-lens with an adapter on a small mirrorless body doesnt sound like very well balanced to me. Wouldnt you combine the disadvantages of the A7-series (in regards of AF, no top display, short battery live, too many buttons) with the disadvantages of DSLR-lenses (size)?

Eoin

... snip ..The issue is Sony in the FE mount are not making 2.8 zooms because all the freaking whiners about camera size vs lens size.
AND who's whining about not wanting the bulk of a full blown DSLR system ... those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones :)

Really though when you think on it, the Alpha 2.8 Zeiss zooms were neither compact or light. I think us size whiners will be happy when we have a few good primes AF or MF that we can throw into a bag and spend the day shooting without being weighed down or walk with a stoop under the weight.

That 28 f2, 55 f1.8 and 90 macro are looking quite nice for a simple AF 3 lens setup.

Guy Mancuso

Guys I'm not buying Nikon the conversation ends there. Let's get that out right now. Been there done that and had all ZEISS glass MF lenses in the end. What was the real point end of day. Most boring system I ever laid hands on and the worst AF lenses to manual focus. Its not me I also resent getting it shoved down my face every 5 minutes like I made a mistake selling it.

V

Vivek

The best thing about Nikon is...that I am not using it. :D :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Folks this was not about the speed of the AF. I thought I was pretty clear on that. It's about the ability for the camera to actually see in low light to even focus. My biggest issue is speed of the 24-70 F4 lens. I was asking about some 2.8 zooms . The A7r is not the greatest reading low EVs. The A7II seems to be better at it. The S is better at it in the system. The A77II in A mount was really good at it, that I should have kept as it always worked flawlessly. If I made a mistake it was there not and trust me selling my Nikons. That system was not what I wanted to shoot period.

Malina DZ

The ZA Sony 24-70 is not bad either but I'm not willing to spend that kind of money....

Thoughts on what 2.8 zoom would AF best on these A7 series. Obviously it's going to be a A mount with my LAe4 adapter.
Guy, LA-EA4+A mount lens = a57/65 AF (Focus Points : 15-point AF system with 3 cross sensors). I doubt it will be accurate enough for your shooting conditions.
There's also Tamron 24-70/2.8 USD for Alpha mount as an option.

Guy Mancuso

I was thinking about the Tammy. Actually had one on my Nikon system. It was a very nice lens. Focus point limitation as you say is not the biggest deal. I'm usually fine be until it gets fairly dark and I just lock up. The AF gets confused and locks. Kind of a weird thing that happens. I have the Loxia 35 F2 which I could use now to help when it's really dark. I just think I need a extra stop or 2 of lens that won't bury me. Where I need the zoom range is more on stage like to get a award which could be 1 or several people so the 24-70 is pretty handy there. In those situations the AF works good since there is usually light on stage. It's the shots where people are buried in a corner having a cocktail off stage that usually is dark. Here I can cheat with a foot zoom and a prime. I just need to use my primes more. The new 28 and my Loxia should do the trick here.
The lockup thing though is weird and not really sure if it's a natural thing it's doing is locking up and pausing the system or its a bug. It does happen on both the A7r more and less on the A7II. I'm thinking it's just buried so deep it cannot read and gets confused. Faster glass should help that.

It's not the most critical thing but it does bug me sometimes. I know the S would work better since it can read lower EVs than the rest of the A7 family. Just a lot of money to solve a issue I think a fast prime could fix. Kind of rather put my money on glass than a body right now when we know replacements are on the horizon.

We know Sony has the tech they just need to make the right combination of cam for some of us. Seriously if I had the cash I would have all three cams as they all serve a need.

V

Vivek

Some Sony fans do not like to hear this but the price fixing by Sony is a big issue.

The same A7S was sold for peanuts (for a month) in Australia by Sony. Their pricing of the lenses in Japan (imported from Thailand) is amazing. They make their cash from elsewhere.

iiiNelson

Regarding FE lenses and new FE bodies - one common thing I'm reading in many of the review round ups of the four newest lenses is that even if the lenses are physically larger Sony is at least doing what they can to maintain a comfortable and balanced lens/body combo. The center of gravity even with physically larger lenses is maintained at or near the lens mount.

Might be an even better and larger reason why Sony chose a larger and more ergonomic grip with the A7II. A larger grip would permit the weight to be closer to the wrists than in the hand which would deminish them perception of a heavier camera even if it is.