The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mitakon 85 1.2 announcement

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looks like the E mount will be out before the A mount and shipping in May for the E mount at 799.00.

Like I mentioned in another thread this really is the only FE mount in this prime focal length for now. Hopefully Sony and a Loxia will come to market. I just sold my ZA 85 1.4 to get a Loxia 50 and a zoom. Now it's the hole in my setup somewhat. Now one has to wonder for 800 dollars and no announcement on other solutions this could be a nice time gap. Hmmm

Just thinking out loud here but maybe the cheapest solution compared to a Leica lens that fill this Fov in several favors. Curious what others maybe thinking about this. Interesting option

philip_pj

Guy, the good times will roll, the caption says it all: "Nikon F / Canon EF / Sony FE".
These cheap makers will keep the major guys honest from now on.

Saw a Zeiss guy interview and re Loxia he says: "..and as a product line it will continue to grow as time goes on". After the 'wide angle later this year', that is. This is the first comment at this level of commitment I have heard so far. Good!

So overall, despite the moaning and whining, Sony appears to have kicked a goal - the first new full frame system in decades is a success, and it ain't going anywhere other than onwards and upwards. lol.

iiiNelson

Apples and oranges between this and a Zeiss 21. Not even the same focal length or aperture values... In any case most 70-200/2.8 lenses weigh upwards of 3 or 4 pounds and tend to be longer with the weight further from the camera body so I hardly think 2 lbs will make someone's arm fall off.

Regarding this lens I will probably pass and just buy the 90 Macro (though it may be a bit too clinically sharp for anything except "child-like" skin or street photography portraiture) until a 75-135mm Otus-lite/Loxia options shows up. I don't do step less apertures after living with one on my Rokinon. The lens looks decent enough if you like more of a classic portrait lens rendering but I'll probably pass and save my money for the excellent or exceptional glass for me.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don't think my arm will fall off either, but just when I thought I would shy away from heavy lenses, I buy the relatively heavy Zeiss 21mm, and obviously have to consider this one, which will apparently be available in F-mount as well, but is somewhere between the "classic" Zeiss f/1.4 and the Otus in weight. If it's good, it might be the bargain of the year though :)

V

Vivek

Yes, that looks like the "Bokeh King". It's 921 grams though... ninehundredandtwentyone grams.
Not a problem to hang on an A7s or an A7 II. Both have metal mounts, unlike the NEX' or the A7/A7r.

It will be very front heavy for sure. Perhaps better on a Nikon or Canon DSLR.

Being a manual non AF lens, I think there are excellent alternatives to cover this focal lenght in the "old" stuff. I am happy with my Summiluxes R and M. :)

Guy Mancuso

Well not sure cost wise they are 800 dollars and 1.2 to boot but I agree some nice Leica glass in this range. This might sell very well. Of course as Tre said there is a 90 coming and it's native and has AF but that's not till August. Yuk

V

Vivek

The 90/2.8 macro and this 85/1.2 are like apples and onions.

We need a Sony AF 85/2 and a faster one (with no pretentious blue tags). The sorry state of the E mount story continues.

Guy Mancuso

I don't feel that way at all. Obviously you never owned a Leica S took 4 years to get 5 lenses. Now that sucked.

We have a lot of alternate choices with this mount and those blue tag lenses the Loxia are you referring too are really sweet. End of day I don't care what Martian made them as long as they work. Lol

V

Vivek

Of course, i never owned the Leica S and will never ever own one. I am not crazy. :p

V

Vivek

Of course, i never owned the Leica S and will never ever own one. I am not crazy. :p

I don't feel that way at all. Obviously you never owned a Leica S took 4 years to get 5 lenses. Now that sucked.

We have a lot of alternate choices with this mount and those blue tag lenses the Loxia are you referring too are really sweet. End of day I don't care what Martian made them as long as they work. Lol
No, Guy, Not the Cosina made made Zeiss Loxi but the Sony made blue tagged lenses.

As someone pointed out earlier, if these Loxia lenses last for about 6 months with you, I will buy them. ;) :D

Guy Mancuso

Gotta run and go shoot a gig. Corporate portraits and it has to be the Minolta 200 since I have no 85 now. Lol

Actually I love 200mm for portraits anyway

Well not sure cost wise they are 800 dollars and 1.2 to boot but I agree some nice Leica glass in this range. This might sell very well. Of course as Tre said there is a 90 coming and it's native and has AF but that's not till August. Yuk
On the other end a Leica glass bought second hand now will most probably retain its price (at least), not so sure if this will be the same for the Mitakon lens.

Eoin

The C/Y Zeiss 85 F2.8 is a sweet little lens worth considering as a stop gap.
Any aperture wider than f2.2 at this focal length is generally too shallow a DOF for Head and Shoulders portraiture.