The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A mount comes to an end

Mark K

I came to this Forum because of the beautiful images A900 gave us and I subsequent bought A850, to keep my tons of A mount lenses. Well honestly I disagree with Sony in so many ways like SLT implement, 11bit processor etc etc but have never expected Sony will make a decision to conclude all amount bodies.:OT:
...:confused:

jfirneno

I came to this Forum because of the beautiful images A900 gave us and I subsequent bought A850, to keep my tons of A mount lenses. Well honestly I disagree with Sony in so many ways like SLT implement, 11bit processor etc etc but have never expected Sony will make a decision to conclude all amount bodies.:OT:
...:confused:
Mark:
I started out with the A-850 and was dismayed when the DSLR was abandoned for the SLT type. But I've really gotten to enjoy my Minolta and Sony a-mount lenses on the A7 cameras. I find myself using my A-850 less and less frequently.

Eventually e-mount will supplant a-mount. But in the meantime there should be a couple of more full frame SLT cameras. Assuming there will be an acceptable upgrade to the AF of the A7 cameras and a few more upgrades of the LAEA adapters for the a-mount lenses then this should allow a gradual transition of the a-mount lens owners to the new platform.

Mark K

It is an evolution

Thanks for the kind words. I was quite down after reading that rumor. Hope it is a rumor and rumor only.
Got an A6000 and found the AF is reasonably well and have no idea why the A7II cannot use full sensor PD AF like A6000. A7II feels exceptionally well design, still a bit smaller for A mount lenses.

jfirneno

I didn't know it was officially dead...
Nothing official but the "Wikileak" leak of recent Sony documents included a list of camera launches for Apr/May/Jun that included an A-6000 rev, an A7 camera but no A-mount which has disappointed a lot of Sony a-mount users and encouraged the annoying "A-MOUNT IS DEAD" gloaters to start up. I mean it's impossible to know exactly when Sony will transition fully to e-mount but I think that the gradual transition using LAEA adapters has been pretty smooth. Anyway, once they perfect the PDAF I'll be all set. So far I think Sony has been a good option for my photography and I only think it will get better.

4season

Though not about photography at all, I thought this article, about creating a cinematic future that ages gracefully, might also apply to attempts to predict the real future too.

Buy gear for what it can do for you now because all of today's systems will be discontinued, the only question is when. Sometimes change comes swiftly and dramatically: Just ask Blackberry, Nokia and Motorola.

pegelli

If it's a rumor just think of Mark Twain : "The report of my death was an exaggeration" :facesmack:

V

Vivek

More troubling than the possible death of the A mount is the leaks from a disgruntled ex Sony employee (blamed on Kim and N.Korea) and the lack of decently sized and priced new lenses for the E mount.

MikalWGrass

Mark, I shoot an a900 primarily for water sports (water polo and swimming) and while it is ok for swimming, it is tough to use for water polo. I have to wring every bit if skill and patience from my body just to take decent shots. If Sony can come up with a decent AF tracking (the a900's is useless for water polo, as I am sure most AF systems are when trying to focus on a water polo ball being tossed rapidly from player to player) I will stay with them. I may even jump to the a77II for the extra reach.

The a900 files are terrific, but you know, to everything there is a season. Give the mirrorless cameras a try. Many people love them, and the files seem nice.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea it's all been fake but not a popular comment but as far as Sony resources maybe it's not a bad idea if they put a ton of energy in the FE mount and release a whole diffrent sets of lenses. Give us 1.4 and F2 and continue on the small 2.8 versions. But there zooms also need to get to 2.8 bigger or not. People like me need the. Regardless if there big. Now not to say the cams themselves need to step it up with AF as well

uhoh7

It's E mount that's needed the serious love.

What is missing in the A-mount line up between Sony and sigma etc.?

V

Vivek

If they don't pour millions in stupid, hollywood B grade movies that are doomed for major fails, they will have lots of money to go around for R&D.

jonoslack

Well, I'm sure the rumor is fake . . . . but Guy, I understand you're need for f2.8 zooms . . . . . but is the E mount actually wide enough to do this properly?

pegelli

... but is the E mount actually wide enough to do this properly?
I think this would be no problem, A-mount 2.8 zooms work fine via an LA-EA 3 or 4, so I see no obvious reason they could not be produced in native E-mount. In the worst case they just leave the first part of the lens after the mount "empty".

jonoslack

I think this would be no problem, A-mount 2.8 zooms work fine via an LA-EA 3 or 4, so I see no obvious reason they could not be produced in native E-mount. In the worst case they just leave the first part of the lens after the mount "empty".
Hi there - well, that's certainly true . . . but it makes them bigger - I just wonder whether Sony rushed into the FF concept with the E mount without reflecting whether it would actually have been better to have re-designed a wider mount.