The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Desensitizing the EVF eye sensor

V

Vivek

If you struggle with the LCD/EVF switch (when set to auto) from the eye sensor being too sensitive, it can be easily taken care of. Just block ~ 1/3rd of the eye sensor with a tape (electrician variety)on the left hand side. It is very effective. :thumbs:

NoBob

Is there any way to get the monitor to stay on when you put a T-shirt around the camera so you can see the screen better in bright sunlight? Like when looking at the ground glass on a view camera? The A7RII monitor goes off when I try it.

V

Vivek

You can change the viewer settings from LCD/Finder "Auto" to LCD only.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sometimes I use a Hoodman loupe. Works good too

I do want to do this procedure at some point. For some odd reason and certainly can be my imagination. This camera R2 seems less sensitive.

NoBob

Thanks.

I don't see how covering the 1/3 of the eye sensor works, though. I tried using my thumb to cover the sensor partially in a rough test. If I move my hand in to shield the monitor, it still goes off and the viewfinder comes on.

Viramati

Thanks.

I don't see how covering the 1/3 of the eye sensor works, though. I tried using my thumb to cover the sensor partially in a rough test. If I move my hand in to shield the monitor, it still goes off and the viewfinder comes on.
It just seems to make it a little less sensitive and thus you can hold the camera closer to the body. Hey it seems to work for me

V

Vivek

Thanks.

There are two sensors. The one on the left when blocked (~1/3rd) keeps the LCD on. If you move the tape (not your hand or finger!) to the right sensor, it will keep the EVF on.

dandrewk

There are two sensors. The one on the left when blocked (~1/3rd) keeps the LCD on. If you move the tape (not your hand or finger!) to the right sensor, it will keep the EVF on.
Sorry for being dense - two sensors? By chance, do you have a photo of your setup? I'm assuming it's best to remove the eyecup when applying the tape.

V

Vivek

Sorry for being dense - two sensors? By chance, do you have a photo of your setup? I'm assuming it's best to remove the eyecup when applying the tape.
Remove the eye cup and take a look at your camera. Use a magnifier if needed. :)