The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Petition for Sony lossless raw files compression

V

Vivek

Not interested in giving my email in order to sign it.

I will say it here: Improve the hardware. You charge a lot of cash and presumably make a profit. Deliver the better goods.

Also, immediately make a set of fast primes like the Sony 28/2.

mazor

does this raw compression only apply to the newer a7 series cameras with 14bit sensor output or also to the older nex series with 12bit RAWs?

Annna T

does this raw compression only apply to the newer a7 series cameras with 14bit sensor output or also to the older nex series with 12bit RAWs?
From what I know, all the A7 series have the same problem : the sensor delivers 14 bits, but the Sony raws are compressed to 11 bits.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

They offer 8 bit files. :eek:

Presumably, with FF, Sony is on the radar of the bit police. :rolleyes:

AFAIK. there is silence wrt to m43rds, Samsung NX, Ricoh, Sigma etc files.

There is a cottage industry going on based on this. For example, if you buy Raw digger you can spend hours immersed in picking the pixels apart. :ROTFL:

4season

How will uncompressed raw files make my life better? My Leica M9 had an Uncompressed DNG option which more than doubled file sizes, but try as I never could see any difference. I think the only reason that feature existed at all is because Leica got tired of explaining. Storage space may be cheap, but additional time needed to transfer and back up those files adds up.

V

Vivek

Sony Raws Suck. Sorry, but I have to deal with them all the time. I signed. TY so much.
Why do they "suck"? What exactly is the problem? Could you share your problems with picture examples? TIA!

iiiNelson

How will uncompressed raw files make my life better? My Leica M9 had an Uncompressed DNG option which more than doubled file sizes, but try as I never could see any difference. I think the only reason that feature existed at all is because Leica got tired of explaining. Storage space may be cheap, but additional time needed to transfer and back up those files adds up.
You are correct in the Leica offered an uncompressed and lossless compressed 8-bit option. I too didn't see a huge difference besides slightly more shadow noise at high ISO in the M9 files. To me the higher shadow noise looked like film grain pattern sort of so I generally shot at Lossless Compressed unless I was at cool "once in a lifetime" type locations.

mazor

hmmm, I think Canon also uses compression for their RAW, but they claim to use a lossless compression algorithm.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Basic issue is your trying to pull shadows up and honestly if you expose correctly it should not be a issue. I have yet to see a issue in C1. Sure I would like uncompressed but this maybe related to function of camera both in heat and processor.

mazor

Uncompressed in theory should generate less heat, as there is simply less to process. What may be the issue is buffer memory. Having uncompressed RAW would require a larger buffer otherwise the number of images buffered when captured RAW will be considerably less.

V

Vivek

Yes, the hardware needs to be up to scratch and much better. More processing power also means more heat. It is not just the sensor heating up but the processor(s) heating up that is major problem. The latest Canon 4K camera has a heat sink in the back (behind the tilt LCD).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
No DNG PLEASE! Contrary to what Adobe would have you believe, it is NOT an industry standard. So for me, a true raw tiff or even raw proprietary would be excellent!

iiiNelson

Why and why not tiff?
Probably file size and the DNG standard already used by many. I'm personally am not wild about the proprietary formats nor am I wild about the fact that some RAW converters (well really Capture One is the only one I know about that does this) companies that purposely go out of their way to break support for DNG files from specific cameras (any other digital MF camera/back that's not in the Team Phase One family.)

Apple took forever to support the DNG standard profiles that read lens corrections. This was one of many reasons I went back to LR with version LR4 from Aperture 3.