The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

algrove

So let's say you have the a7II with 5 axis IBIS. How will this IS in the 85 affect all that? Sorry, I watch Sony with interest, but do not own any.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My prediction this lens line and new bodies coming soon we will see a lot of switching over to Sony.

I also find it very interesting Zeiss announced the day before Sonys Event tommorrow. Sorry folks that is not by chance it's a marketing plan between them.

So let's say you have the a7II with 5 axis IBIS. How will this IS in the 85 affect all that? Sorry, I watch Sony with interest, but do not own any.
Lou, OIS compensates for pitch and yaw, while IBIS would take care of the other three axes (lateral x and y directions and roll).

algrove

I can see you guys are going to cost me in the end! That 25 should be a nice AF WA and I usually like the Zeiss contrast rendering.

iiiNelson

My prediction this lens line and new bodies coming soon we will see a lot of switching over to Sony.

I also find it very interesting Zeiss announced the day before Sonys Event tommorrow. Sorry folks that is not by chance it's a marketing plan between them.
Did you notice that they started the video with the Batis on the A7II (or may it was an A7RII but they didn't wanna blow the announcement) then switched to shooting on the A7R? Sort of why I was leaning towards these are the prime lenses you're going to want (along with the 35 Distagon and 55 Sonnar) for the high resolution and/or pro body.

I'm sure the Loxia's will do fine as well... especially that 50 Planar.

iiiNelson

I asked at SAR but didnt get a response to the question, is this the first Zeiss made lens with image stabilization?
I believe there were some older Zeiss Contax lenses with OIS but I'm not 100% sure.

Regarding their statement about AF being detrimental to optical quality, maybe with the advancement of SSM wave motors they can be made small enough with little to no effect on Zeiss' optical design. Maybe there isn't as much glass to move in these designs. Maybe they were full of crap and didn't want to make AF lenses. Who knows?

I'm thinking I should wait for some images from these before I get way too excited. but I do have a short telephoto NEED since selling my 85/1.4.

I believe there were some older Zeiss Contax lenses with OIS but I'm not 100% sure.

Regarding their statement about AF being detrimental to optical quality, maybe with the advancement of SSM wave motors they can be made small enough with little to no effect on Zeiss' optical design. Maybe there isn't as much glass to move in these designs. Maybe they were full of crap and didn't want to make AF lenses. Who knows?

I'm thinking I should wait for some images from these before I get way too excited. but I do have a short telephoto NEED since selling my 85/1.4.
Except the camera phone lens crap, Zeiss has never had any camera lens with OIS. They clearly stated in past interviews that OIS would compromise IQ. AF is only a limiting factor in that the AF optical cells have to be light and small enough for an effective AF mechanism; thus that would hinder Zeiss somewhat in designing. They were comfortable with making the Touit (but not comfortable to include OIS in the Touit line).

If the Batis 25 can get as sharp as the Elmar 24 at f/4 and on, I would be totally sold. Otherwise, I'm waiting for something extreme on the wide-end. An 18 or preferably 15. Then longer tele for portraits or a mini-Otus 50/1.4. This year is certainly the year of Sony E-mount.

jagsiva

I think I wet my pants!

This is great news, these two + the new Sony FE 35/1.4 and FE 55/1.8 make a great set. The 16-35 by all accounts appears to be good on the wide end.

Perhaps time to list the 120lbs of Nikon kit:)

frozenbb

Not light, but at least the 85 is lighter than the 90 macro. I don't like the styling, but I've been waiting for this lens since the a7 series was announced. Finally, there's a fast, short-tele for us to play with.

Guy Mancuso

Did you notice that they started the video with the Batis on the A7II (or may it was an A7RII but they didn't wanna blow the announcement) then switched to shooting on the A7R? Sort of why I was leaning towards these are the prime lenses you're going to want (along with the 35 Distagon and 55 Sonnar) for the high resolution and/or pro body.

I'm sure the Loxia's will do fine as well... especially that 50 Planar.
I would keep the Loxia 50 for sure but I may upgrade the Loxia 35 but need to see if they come out with a Batis 35 in the series. But yea the 35 1.4 Sony Zeiss I still may upgrade to next fall. Have to see but here is the great news we have options and I love options.

Guy Mancuso

Also would not mind seeing the 35 1.4 price drop some , IMHO it's about 300 more than it maybe should be. I'm liking the 1300 max range on glass these days

Guy Mancuso

Honestly no kidding around this announcement is the best product announcement since I bought the A7r and if I can upgrade that body , I'm freaaking out I'm so excited about this. Excuse me now I need to go change my diaper. Lol

Except the camera phone lens crap, Zeiss has never had any camera lens with OIS. They clearly stated in past interviews that OIS would compromise IQ. AF is only a limiting factor in that the AF optical cells have to be light and small enough for an effective AF mechanism; thus that would hinder Zeiss somewhat in designing. They were comfortable with making the Touit (but not comfortable to include OIS in the Touit line).

If the Batis 25 can get as sharp as the Elmar 24 at f/4 and on, I would be totally sold. Otherwise, I'm waiting for something extreme on the wide-end. An 18 or preferably 15. Then longer tele for portraits or a mini-Otus 50/1.4. This year is certainly the year of Sony E-mount.
A-mount lenses with SSM?

iiiNelson

:ROTFL:

You win! :ROTFL:
It's not about winning.

It's about giving credit where it's due. Most people seem to think the Zeiss 135/1.8, the 50/1.4, the 24/2, the 16-35, the 24-70, and the 85 are all really good to world class optically - no matter who or where they were designed/manufactured.

Don't tell me that you buy or believe that the German Leica lenses are optically superior to the Canadian ones... or that the Leica Panasonic's clones have better color too... because of where they are produced. :D