The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

iiiNelson

I disagree with you terming the 28/2 as a 2nd tier lens. The fact that it does not carry a bogus blue label itself shows some honesty in my opinion and it is a stellar lens for the A7 series in every aspect.

Besides that it makes no sense to rent it based on its fair price.

The humongous Otii, OTOH, are understandably the darlings of the rental outfits. Being expensive, not being able to find regular use due to manual focus, size, weight and such factors.

I sincerely hope there is a set of Sony primes like the 28/2, including a 50/2.
Vivek the 28/2 certainly is the bargain of the FE world. I almost bought one myself but I figured the 25/2 would be a better fit for me even at 3X the price.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It sits now right smack in between the 35's and now with a Zeiss 25mm that promises to be really good . Now if you had a 50 only than you could gap it to 28 and 21. These are just simply gapping issues.

V

Vivek

Yes, the 28/2 is a fine lens. I would like to see a series of them from Sony (if sounds repetitive, sorry). No 3rd party is going make a system. They still need to be hung on the Thailand made Sony cams. They are not Zeiss Ikon (disappeared from the camera world altogether and there are good reasons for it).

Thank goodness they are not! :D

iiiNelson

It sits now right smack in between the 35's and now with a Zeiss 25mm that promises to be really good . Now if you had a 50 only than you could gap it to 28 and 21. These are just simply gapping issues.
My thinking as well 25, 35, 55, 85, and my ZA135/1.8. Five amazing primes (well potentially with the BATIS lenses.)

I'll probably add the 70-200 and wait on the a native FE UWA and 135mm lens and call it done.

Guy Mancuso

I'll probably wind up with Batis 25, Loxia 35, Loxia 50, Batis 85 all native mount. Than my Minolta 200mm and hopefully add a 16 or 18mm that be my main high res kit. Than I throw in the Sigma 24-70, 85,200 pr kit and maybe toss inthe Loxias as extra. 2 kits but shared

iiiNelson

Yes, the 28/2 is a fine lens. I would like to see a series of them from Sony (if sounds repetitive, sorry). No 3rd party is going make a system. They still need to be hung on the Thailand made Sony cams. They are not Zeiss Ikon (disappeared from the camera world altogether and there are good reasons for it).

Thank goodness they are not! :D
No I understand and I think many are of that thought process.

I hope they focus on the fast Pro level lenses (plus a pro body) and the compact value lenses for both extremes. There's room for both even if it's somewhat of a polarizing point of view by owners and critics alike.

Guy Mancuso

For this reason I may wait for a Locia 25. 85 is fine but 25 I'm more interested in MF. See how this plays out

Man, I really wish Zeiss stuck with the Loxia design language. This Touit style of the Batis is for the birds.

Oh wait, they are all for the birds :ROTFL:

iiiNelson

I guess I'm in the minority that like the shape of the Batis and Otus lenses. They seem... ergonomic to me in feel...Well at least the Otus did. when I handled one.

Friggin' smooth focus ring too.

Guy Mancuso

Like the design. Just want to make sure the 25 has some tension or feel to the focus ring. But I can certainly adapt.

jfirneno

I guess I'm in the minority that like the shape of the Batis and Otus lenses. They seem... ergonomic to me in feel...Well at least the Otus did. when I handled one.

Hired Arm:
The Batis lenses look pretty tempting to me. I think there are plenty of others just like you who are very excited by the potential from all these new Sony, Sony/Zeiss, Loxia and Batis choices we suddenly have on the horizon. The trick is to remain calm and gather as much data as necessary to make informed decisions. I bought the 35 f1.4 and have an order for the 28 f2. Should I get the 28mm or the 25mm? Should I get the 85 f1.8 or the 90 macro? Luckily, there will be time to read reviews, see samples and even rent them if we want to. Isn't it great to have such a wealth of problems? Sony, Sony/Zeiss, Loxia or Batis? Decisions, decisions. Oh, woe is me (and my poor aching bank account!).

Never tried the Otus but have used the Touits extensively. That smooth rubber focus ring just freaks me out for some reason. You definitely get used to it though.

philip_pj

This is a master stroke by Zeiss, the Batis line.

So CZ for the first time have a program of AF lenses in full frame, but are not divulging what the next ones are, for now. These deliberately look like Otus and will dress up the FE bodies very nicely - appearances count for a lot.

Ex Canon/Nikon people will love the idea of high IQ AF lenses almost as much as the 1% Leica M users dislike it, and there are many, many more of them. Once they see what they get with Zeiss over C/N - most are totally unaware - there will be no turning back the clock. Many of the Oscar winning movies were shot on Zeiss this year:

"In all, eight movies nominated for Oscars® this year were shot with lenses produced by ZEISS in Oberkochen"
http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/?p=5778

ZEISS Batis lenses are made in Japan.

iiiNelson

Hired Arm:
The Batis lenses look pretty tempting to me. I think there are plenty of others just like you who are very excited by the potential from all these new Sony, Sony/Zeiss, Loxia and Batis choices we suddenly have on the horizon. The trick is to remain calm and gather as much data as necessary to make informed decisions. I bought the 35 f1.4 and have an order for the 28 f2. Should I get the 28mm or the 25mm? Should I get the 85 f1.8 or the 90 macro? Luckily, there will be time to read reviews, see samples and even rent them if we want to. Isn't it great to have such a wealth of problems? Sony, Sony/Zeiss, Loxia or Batis? Decisions, decisions. Oh, woe is me (and my poor aching bank account!).
True and the choice of 25 or 28 is an easy one for me if the 25mm choice performs. I'm just not a fan of 28mm focal length usually. I was gonna try it for $450 because it has decent speed and rendering at least. The choice between the 85 and 90 seems to be more about if you want the extra speed and smaller size or do you want a crazy sharp Macro. I think there's room for both and the $100 price difference really makes the choice somewhat more about need and desire than to toil about cost/performance ratios.

The Batis lenses will probably make a nice pair with the Sony Zeiss lenses I already have though so I'm going that route more than likely.