The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

iiiNelson

Coming in June (25/2) and July (85/1.8) so I may just cancel my 28/2 order... or sell it then depending on price of these. 25, 55, and 85 seems like a nice spread though. I'd just need a fastish 15-21 for UWA. I don't know how much a OLED focus scale is "needed" or wanted but the lenses are shaped like a small Otus so I'd expect that sort of performance in the vein of the 55FE. The 25/2 ($1299) is labeled a Distagon and the 85/1.8 ($1199) is labeled a Sonnar so they SHOULD have great performance (although I'm not wild about the 35/2.8 personally.)

Official! Zeiss announces a new BATIS lens line for Sony FE: 25mm f/2.0 and 85mm f/1.8 to ship in summer! | sonyalpharumors

Last edited:
V

Vivek

E mount got strengthened with new/specific designs. Glad I did not bite the Locia. :D

I can live with the 67mm filter (although i absolutely hate the shapeless Otii like design).

Last edited by a moderator:

iiiNelson

Yeah I will probably get the 85/1.8 over the 90 Macro for the extra 1 1/3 stop of speed and it's only $100 more. I'm sure the 25/2 will "kill" the 28/2 even if it's almost 3X the price as it's a preferred focal length for me above the 28mm.

iiiNelson

Tre, they are called BATIS

(another bird, insect catcher- Batis (bird) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Yeah... I know... Just a typo on my part creating the thread. Hopefully Guy (when he wakes up and has a "lensgasm" on us these being announced) or a moderator can correct that.

I'm actually happy about them being 67mm so that I don't have to buy new IR590 and Hot mirror filters once I sell my Sigma Art 35/1.4. Buying the 35 Distagon now that I've seen more than enough great example shots and canceling my 28/2 order now. I'll add these lenses this summer and call it all good until the 135/2.2 of f/2.5 (just going by the fast FE glass usually being 2/3 of a stop down from the A mount) is announced.

V

Vivek

Prediction: The Loxia will be up for sale soon. ;) :ROTFL:

BJNY

I hope Zeiss takes these new optical formulas,
and make Loxia versions with 52mm filter size.

iiiNelson

Prediction: The Loxia will be up for sale soon. ;) :ROTFL:
Maybe but I think they cater to different markets. Videographers are going to want the manual focus and declick features. Some will trade for AF though I'm sure.

Slingers

This is fantastic. It's now a hard decision on what lens to get next. There is so many great lens in the FE system now.

V

Vivek

My only concern is about any future FW updates for these lenses. Do we need to send them to Zeiss (like the APS-C lenses) for upgrades or can it be done at home?

iiiNelson

I find it interesting that these are released under Zeiss branding and not Sony Zeiss branding. I wonder if that had to do with any of the backlash from the Sony pricing of f/1.8 and f/2.8 lenses.

The other thing is that I like is that these are probably optimized for the high megapixel sensors.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I want them both but for sure the 85 1.8 first. But now having a cheap sigma 24-70 for PR crap my 16-35 could be sold and get the 25 and pick up a very very wide prime something in the 15 arena. For me this changes nothing with my Loxia glass having the 35 and 50 until maybe the Batis comes out in that focal length. That's way down the road though. I need the 85 first for sure. Awesome news.

Slingers

I asked at SAR but didnt get a response to the question, is this the first Zeiss made lens with image stabilization?

I asked at SAR but didnt get a response to the question, is this the first Zeiss made lens with image stabilization?
I believe this is the first. However, Zeiss has stated in the past that they don't want to include any OIS in their lenses because it would compromise the lens IQ. I wonder how they're going to answer this later.

V

Vivek

Sony Zeiss branding.
I wonder if the blue labels are shipped from Zeiss or Sony make it themselves. :D

These are real Zeiss designed lenses made by Cosina or someone like that.

The Zeiss/Sony "collaboration" is a drag on the consumers for sure. If each make their own lenses, everyone benefits.

I hope the Sony-Zeiss line will die out due to lack of sales.

iiiNelson

I wonder if the blue labels are shipped from Zeiss or Sony make it themselves. :D

These are real Zeiss designed lenses made by Cosina or someone like that.

The Zeiss/Sony "collaboration" is a drag on the consumers for sure. If each make their own lenses, everyone benefits.

I hope the Sony-Zeiss line will die out due to lack of sales.
Well I do like the 55/1.8 and the 35 Distagon is being referred to as one of the best 35's created. The 16-35 gets good reviews. There's plenty of really good A-mount Sony Zeiss lenses as well.

So they did well with those.