The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

ggibson

Not light, but at least the 85 is lighter than the 90 macro. I don't like the styling, but I've been waiting for this lens since the a7 series was announced. Finally, there's a fast, short-tele for us to play with.
From the specs, the 85 is pretty close to the size of the Sony 24-70/4 (for those that have that lens to compare). Close focus on the 85 at 2.6 ft is kind of long, unfortunately. I'm glad these have AF though.

algrove

I thought the Canadian Leica lenses fetched a premium due to having a "personality" over the german ones, but I could just be biased :)
Right or wrong the German 75/1.4 fetches a bit more than the Canadian 75/1.4. Is what is strange is that much of the glass, etc. was ground/fabricated in Canada and then shipped to Germany after Candian production stopped.

V

Vivek

It is a safe bet that the Batis 85/1.8 will do better than either or any black painted versions (if they exist). ;)

All over both of these. I much prefer the design language of the Sony branded Zeiss lenses (35/2.8, 35/1.4, 55/1.8) over these Touit/Otus-like designs but I can live with it.

Now bring us that 135/1.8 Zeiss!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My only one concern is manual focus if it has the tension I like or feel. I hate those loose focusing rings. I like a little tension on the ring. Why I did not like my Nikon glass the focusing rings where just sloppy loose.

Guy Mancuso

Interesting comparison

Batis 25mm F2

Physical
Filter Thread Front:67 mm x 0.75 mm Pitch
Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.19 x 3.07" (81 x 78 mm)
Weight 11.82 oz (335 g)

Zeiss 25mm F2 ZE mount

Physical
Filter Thread 67 mm
Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 2.87 x 3.86" (7.3 x 9.8 cm)
Weight 1.32 lb (600 g)

Same filter size a little wider but a little shorter and almost half the weight. Now if it is comparable IQ wise we are in for a serious treat.

iiiNelson

My only one concern is manual focus if it has the tension I like or feel. I hate those loose focusing rings. I like a little tension on the ring. Why I did not like my Nikon glass the focusing rings where just sloppy loose.
I'm pretty sure it's a focus by wire lens so there won't be infinity stops but I guess it'll eventually grow on you... Or at least you'll get comfortable enough with it.

Guy Mancuso

Maybe not a fair comparison since the Otus is a 1.4 well its not but fun to see anyway

Otus 85mm 1.4

Physical
Filter Thread Front:86 mm x 1.0 mm Pitch
Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.98 x 4.88" (101 x 124 mm)
Weight 2.65 lb (1.2 kg)

Batis 85mm F2

Physical
Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.19 x 3.62" (81 x 92 mm)
Weight 1.05 lb (475 g)

Pretty big difference all around including filter size.

Lets check Nikons 85mm 1.8 for fun

Physical
Filter Thread Front:67 mm 3
Please Note:

Snap-on / screw-on
close
Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.1 x 2.9" (7.87 x 7.37 cm)
Weight 12.35 oz (350 g)

biglouis

That definitely squashes any interest I had in the 16-35. I'd much rather spend money on a fast prime and the 25mm will compliment my CV 21/1.8 ultron very well.

Only 335g? Halleluyah and a decent 67mm thread which may just about work with my Lee Seven5 filters.

Will have an order in as soon as my favourite supplier in the UK puts it up.

Now, if they can only bring out the 'BAXIA' 18/4.5....

With extreme wide, I think they can keep the size down. I would not object a Batis 15/2.8 or a Loxia 15/2.8. Heck, they can even go wild and do something like 18/4.5 T/S :D. In this market, we need a bit of breakthrough innovation. OLED distance scale is not enough (nice though if it is back-lit).

Guy Mancuso

That definitely squashes any interest I had in the 16-35. I'd much rather spend money on a fast prime and the 25mm will compliment my CV 21/1.8 ultron very well.

Only 335g? Halleluyah and a decent 67mm thread which may just about work with my Lee Seven5 filters.

Will have an order in as soon as my favourite supplier in the UK puts it up.

Now, if they can only bring out the 'BAXIA' 18/4.5....
I honestly think as good as the zoom is that I have i will probably sell it for the 25mm if its really good. I would rather have primes for the next A7rII monster 50mpx beast. LOL Even 36mpx is fine

A 15 or 18 prime would be next on that wide list though

Guy Mancuso

With extreme wide, I think they can keep the size down. I would not object a Batis 15/2.8 or a Loxia 15/2.8. Heck, they can even go wild and do something like 18/4.5 T/S :D. In this market, we need a bit of breakthrough innovation. OLED distance scale is not enough (nice though if it is back-lit).
Really they can go as wide as 2.8 or even F4 . We really don't need a screaming 1.4 or F2 as it will get very big here. I never in all my years needed something fast that wide. 24 yes and above but not under a 24mm

V

Vivek

Breakthrough innovation comes from choice materials and not the run of the mill glass. Panasonic have some innovative tech regarding aspherics that do not project onion rings, for example.

The OLED screen is lit (not backlit). It just glows. I agree it is a convenience but not earth shaking.

iiiNelson

Really they can go as wide as 2.8 or even F4 . We really don't need a screaming 1.4 or F2 as it will get very big here. I never in all my years needed something fast that wide. 24 yes and above but not under a 24mm
Whoa let's not put potential innovation and "technical witchcraft" in a box. If they can make a reasonably sized 18/2-2.8 then I'm all for it but in reality something like a fastish 15-21 is all I'd need on the UWA with the 25/2 catching medium wide duties.

ashwinrao1

Love the idea hear, but those are some big suckers. Should pair well, I suspect, with the Sony Zeiss 35 f/1.4 and 55 mm f/1.8 to make a lovely, albeit large, fast lens autofocus prime kit. My only issue with these are size, with respect to the A7 body, which makes the front heavy bulk a bit jarring to my eyes. That being said, I too am one to hope that Zeiss releases Loxia options at 25 and 85 (f/2's) with a smaller profile, more in keeping with the body size factor (and for fans of smaller well built lenses)....

ashwinrao1

The timing of the announcement, and the stress on "Pro" and "resolving" makes me suspect that the A7RII or even something else may be just around the corner...The size of the lenses makes me wonder whether larger bodies are in store...wouldn't be into that, though, but may make for more converts to FE. I also suspect that A lineup may not be long for the future.

Guy Mancuso

Leica 90 f2 cron

Length 3.1"
Maximum Diameter 2.5"
Weight 1.10 lb

Batis 85mm F1.8

Physical
Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.19 x 3.62" (81 x 92 mm)
Weight 1.05 lb (475 g)

Guy Mancuso

Little fatter but not much difference at all. Sony is a bigger body than a M240 is it not

Anyway I think the size is in proportion to the body.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks plus it does have AF built in which would increase size. 90 cron is 55mm filter thread. So yea a little faster and it does have AF which still is within a nice size at least for me that won't bug me is the size. Now the 35 1.4 I consider big *** for the A7 one reason I went for the Loxia 35 for now