The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

Annna T

My thinking as well 25, 35, 55, 85, and my ZA135/1.8. Five amazing primes (well potentially with the BATIS lenses.)

I'll probably add the 70-200 and wait on the a native FE UWA and 135mm lens and call it done.
Personally I find that 55mm and 85mm are positioned too near. Although I love the 55mm F1.8 in itself, I would have preferred a system with 21mm, 28mm, 45mm and 90mm. Or 24mm, 50mm and 90mm/100mm.

Annna T

Hired Arm:
The Batis lenses look pretty tempting to me. I think there are plenty of others just like you who are very excited by the potential from all these new Sony, Sony/Zeiss, Loxia and Batis choices we suddenly have on the horizon. The trick is to remain calm and gather as much data as necessary to make informed decisions. I bought the 35 f1.4 and have an order for the 28 f2. Should I get the 28mm or the 25mm? Should I get the 85 f1.8 or the 90 macro? Luckily, there will be time to read reviews, see samples and even rent them if we want to. Isn't it great to have such a wealth of problems? Sony, Sony/Zeiss, Loxia or Batis? Decisions, decisions. Oh, woe is me (and my poor aching bank account!).
I have the feeling that this system is getting way too heteroclite : you have the usual Sony lenses, like the 28-70mm zoom, you have the Sony Zeiss lenses, like the 55mm and 24-70mm, you have the Sony G lens like the 70-200mm, then the two Zeiss Loxia and now the two Zeiss Batis. None of these lines is offering a complete line of focal lengths whether in primes or zooms. Yes, the system is still building up. But there could have been a better coordination between Sony and Zeiss (the Loxia were repeating already available focals). Now that was done, Zeiss could have finished the Loxia line instead of starting a new one. Or they should have started with the two 25mm and 85mm of the Batis line instead of repeating the 35mm and 50mm we already had with the Loxia line.
Further, they don't even announce their roadmap, so you don't know what will come next in the line that interest you most, increasing the difficulty of an informed choice. In the end, the best strategy looks like waiting.

iiiNelson

Personally I find that 55mm and 85mm are positioned too near. Although I love the 55mm F1.8 in itself, I would have preferred a system with 21mm, 28mm, 45mm and 90mm. Or 24mm, 50mm and 90mm/100mm.
Fair enough. My Leica system was 21, 24, 35, 50, 75, and 90. I'd do 21/35/75 or 24/50/90.

For Sony my long term goal is UWA in the 15-21 range, 25, 35, 55, 85, 135, and 70-200. I normally carry 2 bodies so I could do UWA/25/55/70-200 or UWA/35/85/135 or any combination of the above.

V

Vivek

I suspect that the tweaked ZM lenses are not exactly flying off the shelf for Zeiss. I prefer to stick to my adapted lenses than go for the pricey Loxias.
Quite a few used ones are already showing up (ebay).

OTOH, I would buy the Batii because they are new designs and for the A7 series.

biglouis

My line up will become:

Ultron 21, Batis 25, Loxia 35 FE 55/1.8 FE 90/2.8.

Vivek, once you go Loxia - you don't go back. Mind you I would have preferred an AF lens myself but you can't have everything.

Not sure why they are turning up on ebay but probably because users are so used to AF lenses they find MF lenses to difficult to handle.

There are two other lenses I would like: an UWA prime, e.g. 15 or 18 and a really good 180-200mm, or even a 300mm. An equivalent to the Nikon 300/2.8 with AF for the A7R would be a killer combination.

Just my two cents

LouisB

iiiNelson

I have the feeling that this system is getting way too heteroclite : you have the usual Sony lenses, like the 28-70mm zoom, you have the Sony Zeiss lenses, like the 55mm and 24-70mm, you have the Sony G lens like the 70-200mm, then the two Zeiss Loxia and now the two Zeiss Batis. None of these lines is offering a complete line of focal lengths whether in primes or zooms. Yes, the system is still building up. But there could have been a better coordination between Sony and Zeiss (the Loxia were repeating already available focals). Now that was done, Zeiss could have finished the Loxia line instead of starting a new one. Or they should have started with the two 25mm and 85mm of the Batis line instead of repeating the 35mm and 50mm we already had with the Loxia line.
Further, they don't even announce their roadmap, so you don't know what will come next in the line that interest you most, increasing the difficulty of an informed choice. In the end, the best strategy looks like waiting.
I agree that the best strategy is to wait if you need a complete lens lineup and solution but I've been down this road with Micro 4/3 as I was an early adopter there as well. Regarding the lines I think only the basic zooms are "complete." The primes are a bit different in that they are for different groups. Some will never go for the 35 Distagon, some will never buy manual only Loxia's, and some will find the small Sony Zeiss 35 too slow. Same can be said of the 50's. Same can be said of the BATIS'. All lines aren't for everyone. Choice is good though and I think we will see family resemblance is the Zeiss branded glass.

I jumped from a Canon system to a building Micro 4/3 that only had the kit zoom or the cheap 90-400 equivalent zoom for the first 6 months until the 40mm equivalent prime and 90mm macro were released close to the time a second more compact body was introduced.

The cameras performed well for what they were but they didn't build the system out anywhere near as fast as what Sony, Zeiss, Samyang/Rokinon, or Voigtlander are doing... and that was with 2 manufacturers. Eventually everything came together and 7 years later it's the most complete mirrorless system. The Fuji might provide the most desirable primes today coupled with some optically decent zooms.

iiiNelson

I suspect that the tweaked ZM lenses are not exactly flying off the shelf for Zeiss. I prefer to stick to my adapted lenses than go for the pricey Loxias.

I also think they are a limited production as they trickle in very slowly. I haven't seen many up for sale online. Mostly preorders.

iiiNelson

My line up will become:

Ultron 21, Batis 25, Loxia 35 FE 55/1.8 FE 90/2.8.

Vivek, once you go Loxia - you don't go back. Mind you I would have preferred an AF lens myself but you can't have everything.

Not sure why they are turning up on ebay but probably because users are so used to AF lenses they find MF lenses to difficult to handle.

There are two other lenses I would like: an UWA prime, e.g. 15 or 18 and a really good 180-200mm, or even a 300mm. An equivalent to the Nikon 300/2.8 with AF for the A7R would be a killer combination.

Just my two cents

LouisB
Me too and I think 18mm is that sweet spot for UWA where it doesn't look too distorted in 3:2 ratio.

I love the 21 Ultron as well but I'd like to move to a fast or medium fast native FE solution in time. A long native prime would be nice as well. Maybe even in the f/4 range.

Annna T

I found that the Loxia are little cute jewels : I like their modern look, so considered getting them : but I already have the 55mm F1.8 which I like a lot and that would be a duplicate; I don't really like the 35mm focal length because it reminds me too much if the standard aperture of fixed length compact film cameras (neither wide enough, nor long enough); plus the reviews weren't so stellar. Then what about MF ? Given my eyesight I'm getting too many misses.. So I decided against those two, thinking that I may perhaps go for a wide angle Loxia later and use it with the DOF scales and zone focusing.

Also did you ever look at the profile of the members of photo forums ? At DPreviews polls show that the waste majority is over 50 years old.. Thus often with problematic eyesight. The lack of interest for MF lenses could just be due to some physical limitations, given that enthusiasts photographers are an aging minotity nowadays (young people preferring videos and smartphones).

So yes, it is well possible that the issuing of the Loxia series was a flop and the reason why they started the Batis line. The Loxia line may have been more successful, had they started with non redundant focal lengths. I would have got a 28mm, but not a tele 75mm or 90mm.

iiiNelson

Why not try the 28/2 since you like 28mm? It seems to be a pretty good performer and I think there are lens profiles in LR for it.

V

Vivek

Also did you ever look at the profile of the members of photo forums ?
Never! I only go by the pictures posted and so tough luck Annna T.

Let me add here that Michiel is a personal hero of mine. The amount of energy and enthusiasm I see in him is truly inspiring.

He is much more eager and enthusiastic than me. So, age is absolutely not a factor at all. ;)

V

Vivek

Hi Louis, I have been tempted and notwithstanding the pictures you have shown, the auto magnification "feature" of the Loxii due to a chip communicating with the camera is an impediment for me. I understand many would love it. Not me. It is a definite no, no.

mbroomfield

Hi Louis, I have been tempted and notwithstanding the pictures you have shown, the auto magnification "feature" of the Loxii due to a chip communicating with the camera is an impediment for me. I understand many would love it. Not me. It is a definite no, no.
You can turn that feature off Vivek (MF Assist)

V

Vivek

Thanks, Mike. It helped to turn off an annoying feature (while using the 28/2) to say the least. :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I turned that off. I'm not a fan of when I touch the lens it auto goes in that mode. I rather use my C1 button (custom function)

Guy Mancuso

I agree the system is a little puzzled right now with diffrent styles of lenses but I figure that will work itself out. Folks I'm well known for buying a lens use it for awhile than sell it. End of day consider that I rented it for a bit because I'm not really losing a lot of money in the end. So I will as we go on what's available and make the switches later.

Guy Mancuso

But I will say I'm sticking to at least two of the lines the Loxia and Batis. BTW the Loxia is much better than the reviews which honestly as a person that does them. I really don't trust a lot of them anyway. Even some of the well known guys and paid subscription ones either. Frankly most people have a agenda. I certainly do not. That's between us

Guy Mancuso

One thing I was going to bring up was after I shot the Loxia 50 more today but I will tell you now is on the two Loxia lenses without magnification just using focus peaking only I find these two lenses the most accurate when it lights up. Other lenses I seem to always have to adjust slightly with the A7r but these two are deadly accurate even focusing wide open. For Loxia owners try this out and after you focus than use the magnification to check it. For me at least it's really spanking good. I don't get that with other lenses this well. I'm usually very close but the Loxia seem to be in a diffrent ball park on this and extremely accurate.

Annna T

Never! I only go by the pictures posted and so tough luck Annna T.

Let me add here that Michiel is a personal hero of mine. The amount of energy and enthusiasm I see in him is truly inspiring.

He is much more eager and enthusiastic than me. So, age is absolutely not a factor at all. ;)
Sorry, i wasn't very clear : by profile I didn't think to what each member adds to his/her own profile, but was referring to polls; on DPreview forums there were such polls and people younger younger than 50 were a clear minority.

I agree with you concerning the creativity of the members of this board and I'm always studying the composition of Michiel's pictures very attentively. I'm a fan too and not only because his centers of interest are near of mines (buildings, cities, industrial complexes, show windows and last but not least constructivism), but because of the quality of his compositions. I try to learn from his pictures. He is very generous to share them with us so regularly.

Last edited:

jfirneno

Hello Anna:

I get the feeling that the Sony ride will never be an orthodox ownership experience. With the way the camera market is changing and with the Sony fiscal situation perched precariously on the edge of the precipice, I suspect that the FE system success is almost as much of a surprise to Sony as it was to everyone else. I think Sony and Zeiss are striking while the iron is hot. The trick for us is to carefully wait for the correct lenses. And this is difficult because at the beginning of a new lens mount every new lens has the advantage of being unique! But if 21mm is what someone really wants then he shouldn't get the 25mm. But sometimes it is hard to resist when up until that point the widest thing available is 35mm.