The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Total Immolation of an A7 - Now what?

pflower

Thanks for all this. I think I am probably going to go with the A7II. I never print above A2 and from the prints I have done on the defunct A7 I can't imagine that anything really significant would be gained once framed and under glass.

As regards Nikon... Well I took out my first "serious" dslr today - a Nikon D2x. Surprise on two levels - first how big it was and second how good the files still are when put against more modern cameras (the A7, NEX-7 etc.). But for the moment I have my Sigma DP2m in my pocket and smaller seems better to me.

As regards cars. That is another matter. My racing driver (amateur)/car fanatic colleague says that Skoda is now the way to go. Or at least worthy of serious consideration. But can one really expect to be taken seriously with a D2x and a Skoda? Maybe i should move to 10x8 and a huge station wagon with wooden struts and a platform on top like Ansel once had. Mind you my first car (for UK readers) was a Morris Minor "woody". Then I had a Practika and a 50mm lens with a huge chip in its front glass. Those were the days.

philip_pj

The Skodas are fine cars these days, as are most VW group vehicles, even the fine little EOS. The Audis are also delicious esp the AWD ones, Benz look to have lost the plot at the low end, where they now look like tarted up 'high-and-drys' (Hyundais).

BMWs always look too attractive to the wrong people, cost a mint here and age poorly. I have a 2009 AWD Passat, it's called an r36 for the wonderful 3.6 litre 220kw engine, 'r' for the VW race division it came from.

Whatever you get, put Pilot Sports 3 tires on it, Michelin are the Zeiss of the tire world. You'll probably have your car longer than any Sony body you buy.