The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Total Immolation of an A7 - Now what?

pflower

Given the passion on this forum for the Sony A7 range, I thought I would ask for some advice.

Extraordinarily my car blew up today. When I say blew up I really mean blew up. A nice, low mileage, Mercedes Estate. Driving along I saw a bit of white smoke in the rear mirror and thought - possible gasket gone. Stopped, got out and saw smoke out of the bonnet so opened it and saw flames. 10 minutes later nothing left but a smoking shell. Inside was my camera bag with an A7 plus the 55mm 1.8 lens.

I have had this since October and also have the Sony FE 35mm 2.8 plus various adapters and lots of other lenses which worked well with it and have been hugely happy with it. Although I have lots of other cameras I already feel the loss. Assuming, and there is no reason to assume otherwise, the insurance will cough up - should I:

1. Just buy another A7 plus the 55mm
2. Buy an A7 II plus the 55mm (have to say that I see no need for IBIS in my work)
3. Buy an A7r plus the 55mm (always tempted by that but also slightly put off by the reports of shutter shock).
4. Just have another drink and concentrate on replacing the car.
5. As in 4 above but wait and see if an A7rII comes out.

iiiNelson

First glad that you're alright and able to tell the tale. I had a similar thing happen to be first car but it was 12 years old and 279K+ miles in already... Thankfully nothing important was lost and I was able to put the fire out.

Buy a A7II if you are happy with the A7 or just wait for whatever is next. Buy the 55FE if you see a good deal on one while waiting. Have a drink.

ggibson

If you can wait a month to see Sony's rumored May announcement, you may be happy you did so. But since it sounds like you were pretty content with the A7's 24MP, the A7ii would be a good choice also. I think there's enough improvement in handling and AF to warrant the upgrade even if IBIS isn't all that high on your list.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
First thing is drink heavily wake up than start thinking about this but I agree and have a A7II and improvements are real and far better than the A7 in reality. That would be a good choice. Now everything else really depends how serious you are with this hobby. If your a real junkie than you may want to think about what Mays announcements are and things like that.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps a message from the gods that you might consider a D810.
-bob

V

Vivek

Take a break from photography. Focus on the good things in your life for a while. There will be better things in the near future that will make the A7 look like a Lada.

pflower

Hmm lots to think about (well alright a bit). I suspect that I may well have been in a bit of shock last night when I posted. Suddenly dawned on me today that this could have been really nasty - terminally nasty. Mercedes have a system whereby the doors lock after about 20 seconds - presumably to avoid car-jacking. Horrible thought occurred this afternoon - what if the electrics had shorted out leaving the doors locked. Thank God they didn't.

Like the look of the Loxia, but equally I have Voigtlander and Nikkor 50 and 55mm manual focus lenses which, at least at f8, are as good as I reasonably expect. The 55mm 1.8 with autofocus is not only sharp but convenient. Think I will wait and see what Sony come up with next month before deciding on a body. Slightly regret that I changed my mind at the last moment and didn't take my ageing and slightly flaky Hasselblad H3D with me - but then I guess my insurance company will be relieved I didn't.

Thanks for all suggestions and expressions of good will.

Godfrey

Yes, btw, it goes without saying that I'm very glad you were not hurt. Cars and cameras are just things.

G

Hmm lots to think about (well alright a bit). I suspect that I may well have been in a bit of shock last night when I posted. Suddenly dawned on me today that this could have been really nasty - terminally nasty. Mercedes have a system whereby the doors lock after about 20 seconds - presumably to avoid car-jacking. Horrible thought occurred this afternoon - what if the electrics had shorted out leaving the doors locked. Thank God they didn't.

Like the look of the Loxia, but equally I have Voigtlander and Nikkor 50 and 55mm manual focus lenses which, at least at f8, are as good as I reasonably expect. The 55mm 1.8 with autofocus is not only sharp but convenient. Think I will wait and see what Sony come up with next month before deciding on a body. Slightly regret that I changed my mind at the last moment and didn't take my ageing and slightly flaky Hasselblad H3D with me - but then I guess my insurance company will be relieved I didn't.

Thanks for all suggestions and expressions of good will.

Viramati

I would say that the A7II and the FE55 are a real no brainer. Yes the Loxia 50 maybe good but with the FE55 you get one of the best lenses out there plus auto focus and that just adds to it's versatility.

I'll add my voice to the a7II + 55/1.8 chorus.

I don't have a high level of confidence that Sony will be coming out with another a7 camera in the same 24MP range anytime soon. If you don't need super high resolution or sensitivity then a potential a7r or a7s refresh probably isn't going to be that appealing.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
A7II & 55/1.8 ... as said, a no brainer. I'm considering letting my A7r's go as I like the A7II so much and I have the high resolution cameras on other platforms. The A7II & A7s combo for me totally kick butt.

Btw, if it's any consolation I have a buddy who has lost TWO Ferrari's to the great combustion god in the sky ... :eek: (I now call them Ronsons just like the GI's & Brits did to the M4 Sherman tanks in WWII - lights every time!)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
-bob
:ROTFL: Couldn't have said it better myself LOL!

Seriously, the D810 is worth a hard look. If you're gonna stay Sony, then by all means use your cell phone cam for a few weeks until you see what Sony releases in the A series...

uhoh7

-bob
would the gods deliver a japanese suggestion in a german car?

Nine!!!! or...nein!!!

Unquestionably the car was mortified by the sony, and wants a Leica.