The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Loxia 50mm F2 tests

jfirneno

LOL don't take up Boating, Golf, Skiing, Dirt Bikes or anything that requires any sort of gear but a ball. LOL

Photography as a hobby actually is one of the cheaper hobby's out there but for God sakes it does not feel like it at all. LOL

These Loxia lenses are really nice but they are not cheap either. The 55mm is a great lens and having at least one Otus like lens is a really nice thing to have in your bag. If the Loxia 50mm was not the gem in the line I would have repurchased the 55mm. But Im using these manual lenses on my high res cam too and not where I need AF. So yes it is a trade off in a sense. For me the stuff that counts it will always be the high end cam and these type of lenses. the A7II is the PR cam and there is where I need the AF. But this can be hard for hobbyist that want only one cam to do everything. If thats the case I recommend the A7II even though its only 24mpx its usually the best suited for general purpose.

Honestly if it was me I would only shoot the A7II as its a far better cam to work with . The 24mpx is my only issue with it. Why I am hoping the A7r replacement is just a sensor type upgrade. I don't need much more than what the A7II can do. Just sensor size now.

Im really looking forward to see what the 28mm F2 can do its a no brainer as far as price. My issue is I am more a 35mm type shooter so my gapping is based on a 35mm lens so one would go 16, 24,35, 85 with a 50mm being somewhat secondary. Where if its based on a 28mm lens than the gapping on that is a little different 14, 21, 28 and 50 than a 90mm. So depends if your system is based on a 35mm lens or a 50mm lens as kind of your lens cap lens. Sometimes I see folks tend to ignore the gapping strategy and thats okay you just wind up with with too many lenses.
Guy:
I guess every hobby has its problems. For instance in my earlier hobby the purchases were also more than $1,000 a pop and came from Asia. But that was Old World Ratsnakes and the problems just began when you picked up the package at the airport.

As far as gapping, I haven't assessed whether I'm more of a 28mm or 35mm guy. But now I'll find out. The 28 arrived while I was at work today. I'll give it a spin this weekend.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Plenty of free snakes here in Arizona. Problem is they can kill ya. LOL

I have come to close for comfort.

jfirneno

Plenty of free snakes here in Arizona. Problem is they can kill ya. LOL

I have come to close for comfort.
Oh, I know what you're talking about. I've seen my fill of timber rattlers in the east and western diamondbacks in California. But it takes a special kind of crazy that I never got around to, to keep venomous snakes. Too much potential for injury to innocent bystanders. Snakes are justly famous as escape artists. The last thing you need is a killer in the house, especially if you have kids there. Mine were harmless critters kept for their colors.

Guy Mancuso

You can always rent these lenses and give them a spin before buying them. I use lensrentals a lot and they are very nice folks.

Mark Muse

Guy, the Colorado River shots seem to have a lot of specular highlights, reflections coming off the grasses. This is the kind of thing that with a sharp lens drives my A7II over the edge with color moire (and dragging me screaming with it!). Much more so than my A7r. Do you have this problem to the extent that you need to do something about it? I am still trying to determine if my unit has more of a problem than average, or if I am just hyper sensitive to it. Any chance you would share one of the raw files?

Oh, and are you using ACR/Lr or C1 for conversions? My OS is so old I can't run the version of C1 that supports the A series. It occurs to me that C1 might not aggravate the problem the way Lr does.

Guy Mancuso

Mark using C1 and yes I did fight the highlights on this. Had to move my highlight slider to a pretty high level. I got to see which cam I shot this with. I can upload Rae's for sure for you. It maybe late today. Grandpa day today. LOL

It did seem a lot to be honest. I don't shoot the A7II too much outside more the PR cam.

Mark Muse

Guy, thanks for the raws. There is a surprising amount of field curvature in this lens. Probably a better street, portrait, or product lens than a landscape lens. Doubt if it flattens out much by ƒ8.

Guy Mancuso

Keeping the 50. I tried the 35 1.4 in the Sony store and for a lot of folks probably not the lens to get. It is big but I had the Sigma 35 Art with adapter and that's a truck. So the 1.4 I can handle but honestly I'm still not sure it's better than the Loxia 35 . I shot it on this trip to NY and images look killer. I'll post more on that when I get them on a computer. Just got home. I'm going for the 25,35,85 by end of summer. Those are my most used lenses