The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Batis samples from Zeiss

ggibson

Looks really good! Exciting to see these samples so early.

Couple #1 shot is a great example of why you don't want to always shoot wide open though ;)

iiiNelson

Seriously you could not give me a M240. Great glass very hampered bodies. To limiting for Pro use and even Sony can be at times. I should say as primary body.
Hell I'd take an M240... To trade in or sell. What's the going rate for those these days? Honestly the only two Leica bodies I'd want today are the MM and S.

V

Vivek

Looks really good! Exciting to see these samples so early.

Couple #1 shot is a great example of why you don't want to always shoot wide open though ;)
Would anyone hang such a picture on the wall? I wonder why they put up such images as examples...

iiiNelson

Yup... I could buy every lens I'm on the fence about and not feel bad about it (16-35, 70-200, 24-240, 90 Macro, and the 28+UWC.)

Slingers

Why would they release the "couple" shot when it looks like the photographer made a mistake? Why would the photographer not have binned that image? It makes no sense.

I think the high megapixel image is upsized for printing. The cropping matches paper sizes and the megapixels match for 300dpi.

philip_pj

Except for (i) the relationship of the two dimensions, Slingers, and (ii) 8910 / 300 = 29.7. Note the highlight on the 8910 figure too, that is the one that has been changed.

8910/6300 = 1.4142 to the 4th dec. place, that is not a coincidence. The square root of 2 = 1.4142 to the 4th decimal place.

All pixel dimensions are divisible by 4. 6300 is and 8910 is not. Imagining 6300 is correct - who knows but 59.5mp would change a lot. ;-)

The Batises both look absolutely superb, and the MTF are really terrific. I hope their first run is large enough and the QC is up to snuff. They will sell these in large numbers, both of them. I see both in my future too. The 25/2 is a cafe lens, a street lens and a landscape lens all in one 335 gram package, with AF. Yes please.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Things are falling into place suddenly. 25/55 (Zeiny)/85 isn't a bad kit, and these two newcomers look very nice. As for the "failed" double portrait, I don't see it as failed at all. It's not a perfect portrait of two people, but a very interesting portrait of one person and someone next to her, playing second violin for the time being. Apart from that, it shows beautiful bokeh in a human face that is only a bit out of focus. A very powerful demonstration in my view.

Edax

According to the information on Digilloyd the 85mm has significant distortion, a little uncommon for such a focal length.
Of course easy to correct, but will be clearly visible through the viewfinder or monitor...

BJNY

Interesting enough there's a picture taken with a 56MP camera in there (they say it's shot with a A7R but the resolution is 8910 X 6300)... Pro body FE camera anyone!?! There's also the regular A7II (and what I'd assume is the A7RII since the EXIF is stripped from the image) shots with appropriate resolutions there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/carlzeisslenses/17123880790/in/set-72157651844166820

http://www.eoshd.com/2015/04/update...-exif-data-full-resolution-is-9440x6300-59mp/

iiiNelson

Yeah. I'm sort of thinking the A7RII is coming and will be 36MP. How do we explain the pictures with 36MP that have EXIF stripped. Why strip EXIF from an ordinary A7R that's been out for 18 months? Why leave the A7II EXIF intact?

I'd say that maybe there's a HR mode except the shot is handheld which makes me believe this is from another camera or possibly Upres-Ed for printing as suggested by Slingers. Going by the OM-D EM5II HR mode adds 2.5 the base resolution (16MP becomes 40MP) so an HR mode on the A7II should yield ~60MP. If that's the case all of this would make sense except the handheld thing. A7RII would yield ~90MP in HR if that's what's Sony has been up to or if they found a way to implement a handheld HR mode through firmware.

The shot is pretty clean though and I don't see Zeiss doing that for initial test shots. Besides 36MP is more than enough for smaller prints without raising resolution.

tn1krr

The eoshd exif shows the image is from last fall and has a pile of exif inconsistencies. The pic on the Zeiss flicker is IMO more interesting. Taken arms extended, top of head (has to be LCD+Eye-AF due to DoF); not a nice setup for current A7R with mechincal shutter vibration/delay. Dated mid-April whereas other A7II pics in the series are from february. Other pics in the Batis 85/1.8 series are equally slightly cropped to match the "paper" aspect ratio of the high MP shot. With stripped exif this sure looks like it is from a 59ish MP sensor, but there really is no way to be sure. Unlikely to be sensor-shift pic IMO, on top of head that is a very very hard t as sensor-shift is multiexposure. Could surely be upres, but then again why upres only that one, others with lower res are only cropped slightly.

I took a look at the file with unix "strings" command. It contains some meta-info that is not listed otherwize like last edit is 15th April, with pic taken 13th, but nothing of use and surely no smoking gun there, unfortunately.

iiiNelson

If it's an HR mode I don't know how much I'd care about it since I don't shoot much outside of portraits and the occasional landscape shot from a tripod.

iiiNelson

The eoshd exif shows the image is from last fall and has a pile of exif inconsistencies. The pic on the Zeiss flicker is IMO more interesting. Taken arms extended, top of head (has to be LCD+Eye-AF due to DoF); not a nice setup for current A7R with mechincal shutter vibration/delay. Dated mid-April whereas other A7II pics in the series are from february. Other pics in the Batis 85/1.8 series are equally slightly cropped to match the "paper" aspect ratio of the high MP shot. With stripped exif this sure looks like it is from a 59ish MP sensor, but there really is no way to be sure. Unlikely to be sensor-shift pic IMO, on top of head that is a very very hard t as sensor-shift is multiexposure. Could surely be upres, but then again why upres only that one, others with lower res are only cropped slightly.

I took a look at the file with unix "strings" command. It contains some meta-info that is not listed otherwize like last edit is 15th April, with pic taken 13th, but nothing of use and surely no smoking gun there, unfortunately.
Pretty much the conclusion I came to as well. I think it's most likely a new higher resolution 59.5MP camera in addition to the A7RII.