The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wide angle battle

The Ute

Other than for weight considerations why would you purchase the new
Zeiss Batis 25mm over the Sigma 24mm 1.4 Art, or even the Zeiss 24mm f2 ?

iiiNelson

Being able to AF across the whole frame and having a lens optimized for these sensors are a huge reason I'd think. I guess the big question is do you need a wide angle now or can you wait about 2 months?

If you need it now then I'd go for what's available and reassess if the Batis is a better fit later. That was my rationale with eventually going with the 35 Distagon and putting my 35 Sigma Art up for sale soon.

The Ute

Being able to AF across the whole frame and having a lens optimized for these sensors are a huge reason I'd think. I guess the big question is do you need a wide angle now or can you wait about 2 months?

If you need it now then I'd go for what's available and reassess if the Batis is a better fit later. That was my rationale with eventually going with the 35 Distagon and putting my 35 Sigma Art up for sale soon.
I very much doubt that the Batis will be any sharper than of the other
two, and they both can be had for about 400/500 less.

Is it going to be 400/500 better ?

FWIS the chief reason would be the considerable weight savings.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I very much doubt that the Batis will be any sharper than of the other
two, and they both can be had for about 400/500 less.

Is it going to be 400/500 better ?

FWIS the chief reason would be the cosiderable weight savings.
Absolute sharpness isn't everything. I care more about character and rendering for example. Functionality and a consistent look would be my next priority for example. A reasonable amount of sharpness is expected but when you have to go to 2-400% to tell a difference then it's nitpicking. Weight is of the least concern behind optics that perform at a satisfactory level for me. I've learned that it's far cheaper to buy the lens you really want from the jump than to try to find secondary or tertiary substitutes.

Just goes to show we all have different needs/desires.

The Ute

Absolute sharpness isn't everything. I care more about character and rendering for example. Functionality and a consistent look would be my next priority for example. A reasonable amount of sharpness is expected but when you have to go to 2-400% to tell a difference then it's nitpicking. Weight is of the least concern behind optics that perform at a satisfactory level for me. I've learned that it's far cheaper to buy the lens you really want from the jump than to try to find secondary or tertiary substitutes.

Just goes to show we all have different needs/desires.
And different pocketbooks.
;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The Zeiss 25 F2 Ze or Zf.2 is about the nicest 25mm on the market . Used it in both the Sony and the Nikon. Now having said that you still need the adapter in Canon buying a Metabones is 400 dollars so really no cost savings same with Nikon but Nikon you get no electronic data. Regardless now your down to a big lens with adapter and no AF. AF I can ignore myself in this focal length but if the Batis 25 fully compatible with ALL AF points full exif and in a lighter smaller package is a advantage. Question will be for me is does it match the Zf and Ze models. Given the MTF charts it looks it and if it renders like it than I'm all over it like a cheap suit. Lol but first things first I need the 85mm yesterday. Funny I sold my 85 1.4 ZA a couple weeks ago and since than had 3 gigs that I needed it. But I have a Minokta 200mm to cover me until I get that 85. Yea need to knock walls down to use it. Lol

Guy Mancuso

Bottom line for me is I want to get away from adapters but I still use the Sony LAe4 until I find those lens replacement in FE mount

The Ute

So I guess the new perfect Wide Angle combo would be the A7rII w IBIS and 25mm Batis.
Lord let me just hit lotto.

Guy Mancuso

It just maybe the ticket. But we need to see what this Batis 25 can do. I'm going to wait on this one at least until I can rent it and test it first.

V

Vivek

So I guess the new perfect Wide Angle combo would be the A7rII w IBIS and 25mm Batis.
Lord let me just hit lotto.
Have you not considered the Samyang 24/1.4 and just for discussion (though you might say that it is out of your price range) the Leica Summilux 24/1.4 and the Canon 24/1.4 II (similar in price to the Batus)

iiiNelson

And different pocketbooks.
;)
True but buying a Sigma Art 24 and a LA-E4 gets you right back near the price of the Batis. If speed and affordability are concerns then I'd look at the Rokinon/Samyang/Bowers lenses. They're great for the price if you can live with manual focus only. If AF is wanted/needed then you're in the $8-1300 range... Or more.

The last 5-10% of performance is always a exponential price increase be it cars, audio equipment, photography, computers, etc. Never proclaimed any of it to be the best value as that's a relative term. One persons treasure is another's junk.

The Ute

Have you not considered the Samyang 24/1.4 and just for discussion (though you might say that it is out of your price range) the Leica Summilux 24/1.4 and the Canon 24/1.4 II (similar in price to the Batus)
I have the 14 2.8. I use it for Astrophotography.
The Leica is definitely out my range.
I have the sony 28 f2 which I consider a bargain and like very much.
Thank you for the tips.
I'm inclined to go w the Sigma despite the weight as I already have the adapter and the dock.
or I might go w the Zeiss f2 ZA.

The Ute

True but buying a Sigma Art 24 and a LA-E4 gets you right back near the price of the Batis. If speed and affordability are concerns then I'd look at the Rokinon/Samyang/Bowers lenses. They're great for the price if you can live with manual focus only. If AF is wanted/needed then you're in the $8-1300 range... Or more.

The last 5-10% of performance is always a exponential price increase be it cars, audio equipment, photography, computers, etc. Never proclaimed any of it to be the best value as that's a relative term. One persons treasure is another's junk.
Thanks for your input.

Hausen

The best wide in the 24-25 range for me is the Canon 24 TS-E. With the evf, articulated screen and focus peaking it is a superb combo on the 7r.

etrigan63

Samyang/Rokinon definitely wins on "bang for the buck". I too have the 14 2.8 and it is a winner (at least my copy). I am currently expanding my collection of Canon FD primes which are currently selling at reasonable (to me) prices well below the cost of the Rokinon equivalent (except for the 55mm f/1.2 - there is no Rokinon version of that) and they render very nicely on the A7II + Fotodiox Pro adapter.

biglouis

... because it is a native FE mount lens?

... because weight is important?

... because it looks kewl? (not really, only joking).

Having said that I get excellent results from my Voigtlander Ultron 21/1.8 - especially now there is a lens profile in LR6. It will be interesting to see if I can justify having both once I receive the Batis 25/2 I have pre-ordered.

LouisB

The Ute

... because it is a native FE mount lens?

... because weight is important?

... because it looks kewl? (not really, only joking).

Having said that I get excellent results from my Voigtlander Ultron 21/1.8 - especially now there is a lens profile in LR6. It will be interesting to see if I can justify having both once I receive the Batis 25/2 I have pre-ordered.

LouisB
Honestly, I am getting excellent results w my Sony 28mm F2.
It's a great lens especially for the money.
I needed a 35 mm prime so I went w the Sigma 1.4 Art ( got it at a super price)
The A mount Zeiss 24mm f2 is an excellent lens and can be had for almost
half the price of a comparable Batis.
Unfortunately, I have not hit Lotto yet.
I'm going to spend most of my spare cash on the new A7rII.
:)

biglouis

Ute, I can understand your reasoning.

There are three main attractions to me of 25/2

- f2 aperture
- AF
- weight

I was also thinking of the ZM 25/2 before the Batis was announced but its a no-brainer for me to get a dedicated FE lens over one I have to adapt.

LouisB

iiiNelson

Why not buy the A7II now and put the extra $1000 or so towards a lens or lenses?