The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

pegelli

Old steam trains work quite well in B&W, here's two from the "Steam Locomotive Museum" in Jaworzyna Śląska (near Wroclaw, Poland).

There was a lot of good stuff to be found in this shed, but it needs some attention to get back into working order

1)

2)

Both A850 + Min 24-105 D

Mark Muse

I think this is the best example of what the Olmpus 60/1.5 can do that you've shown here or at least that I've seen. It's a real gem for B&W especially and suited especially well with the A7s.
The Zeiss 45mm Planar G and 90mm Sonnar G are both excellent monochrome lenses, FWIW. I'll post something when I get home.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Old steam trains work quite well in B&W, here's two from the "Steam Locomotive Museum" in Jaworzyna Śląska (near Wroclaw, Poland).

Both A850 + Min 24-105 D
LOVE your B&W conversion on these!

Mark Muse

90mm Zeiss Sonnar G, Sony A7r, Lr 5, Ps CS6.

WFGreenbriar_DSC3214.jpg

I recently got a 4k display. Looking at images on it is really great, but now I am noticing that images I upload to my website or to this site (and probably others) are getting trashed. I have the same downsampled jpg I uploaded sitting here on the desktop in Photoshop (at 200% no less) next to my browser window and it is quite different. Loss of micro contrast as well as lower frequency contrast. Bummer! How do I fix this?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
90mm Zeiss Sonnar G, Sony A7r, Lr 5, Ps CS6.

View attachment 93359

I recently got a 4k display. Looking at images on it is really great, but now I am noticing that images I upload to my website or to this site (and probably others) are getting trashed. I have the same downsampled jpg I uploaded sitting here on the desktop in Photoshop (at 200% no less) next to my browser window and it is quite different. Loss of micro contrast as well as lower frequency contrast. Bummer! How do I fix this?
Are you converting to sRGB before uploading? Leaving in Profoto or Adobe or any other larger color space will desaturate colors (and blacks) as they render online due to gamma.

I grabbed your image, loaded it into CS, assigned Adobe (my assumption), then added a simple curve to get blacks to black and whites to white and pinned mid-tone to mid, then converted to sRGB and repost it below -- does it look more like your original now?

Mark Muse

Are you converting to sRGB before uploading? Leaving in Profoto or Adobe or any other larger color space will desaturate colors (and blacks) as they render online due to gamma.

I grabbed your image, loaded it into CS, assigned Adobe (my assumption), then added a simple curve to get blacks to black and whites to white and pinned mid-tone to mid, then converted to sRGB and repost it below -- does it look more like your original now?

Thanks, Jack. I am working in ProPhoto (most of my work is color). For web: flatten layers > convert to my print profile (one of several) >convert to sRGB > scale > convert to 8 bits > sharpen > add border > then save as jpg. (lets hear it for Ps Actions!).

Remember, I am displaying the sRGB jpg file in Ps alongside my browser window and seeing the difference. There is an sRGB profile embedded in each of my web files and my browser (Safari) is color managing content, so they should be identical.

Your contrast curve adjustment (global contrast) is headed in the right direction, though it overshoots it a bit. But even if your scenario were true it does not explain the loss of micro contrast (perceived as sharpness).

Is possibly the updated software being used for Get DPI uploader running some compression on the files? But that would not explain what I am seeing on my web site... though I did update Wordpress (a big jump in versions) on my site fairly recently too. Also a new Mac Pro (10.9.5) as well as a new display. Lots of possibilities, but I am pretty capable. Short of another problem between Adobe and Apple the issue is unlikely to be here on my computer or with my processes.

I am also wondering if my service provider or the folks they rent bandwidth from might be playing some compression games when image files are uploaded through their servers.

It never ends, does it. It just goes into remission for a while, only to pop up somewhere else.

chrisd

Still learning B&W composing and post processing. It's funny but a few years ago I hated B&W images, but I am growing to love them more than colour a lot of the time.

chiquita

Chris, lovely shot. What is VSCO? I assume Fuji Neopan is an effect applied in your processing software. Mark
Thank you :) VSCO stands for Visual Supply Company and yes, it sells various packs of film simulations. I use them in Lightroom and they work seamlessly into my workflow. I find them very useful for jazzing up my pictures, rather like a paint palette as I can get different interpretations using various colour or b & w looks. They aren't for everyone and require quite a lot of adjustments .