The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

V

Vivek

Another one from NEX-5NM (Monochrome camera done by maxmax) and this is the actual output. RAW was converted to tiff using Sony's IDC that preserves the custom WB set in the camera faithfully ( LR turns out a faint magenta tint file). It was run through Silverefex and resized with reduced sharpening. There is a world of difference between the regular vs the debayered (monochrome) sensor files.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony NEX-5NM, CZJ 3cm f/2.8, ISO800, 1/1250s, The Hague

Edit: I want to add that I use SilverEfex mainly to check the shades. Nothing was done to the original capture using SilverEfex..

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Another using the same combo, with the ISO pushed. The "grains" are lovely. I also detected a couple of dead pixels in the frame (the sensor was literally scrapped to remove the microlenses and the Bayer dyes!) but not an issue at all.

Sony NEX-5NM, Monochrome camera done by maxmax, Zeiss S-Planar 32/4, The Hague

scho

Another using the same combo, with the ISO pushed. The "grains" are lovely. I also detected a couple of dead pixels in the frame (the sensor was literally scrapped to remove the microlenses and the Bayer dyes!) but not an issue at all.

Sony NEX-5NM, Monochrome camera done by maxmax, Zeiss S-Planar 32/4, The Hague
Beautiful output from the 5nm. How does it compare to your Leica MM?

V

Vivek

Carl, It will be unfair/wrong to make any comments on comparisons since I only have the monochromed 5N for a few days and the Leica MM longer. I have to figure out a way the get the best out of the output from the NEX-5NM (post processing) first. I can say this with certainty- I love monochrome. I feel incredibly fortunate to be able to use both that I have.

Thanks for kind words. :)

Edit: Added- when I said that I am a novice with respect to post processing, I was stating a fact. Not being humble or convoluted.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

John, good to see them again! :). I need to work on opening up the mid tones.

V

Vivek

Classy captures ( hey if remember it, isn't that a compliment in itself? :) ) are worth looking again. You did post a link to your visit to Delhi and your site showed the pictures. :)

J

JohnW

Classy captures ( hey if remember it, isn't that a compliment in itself? :) ) are worth looking again. You did post a link to your visit to Delhi and your site showed the pictures. :)
Seriously, thanks. At least I didn't post them in this thread, so that's OK.

John