The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Rope

Very nice Pieter,

It reminded me instantly of 'The Bricklayers Lament', part of an address to The Oxford Union in 1958 by humourist/raconteur Gerard Hoffnung.
Have you heard of it? Was often requested to be played on the old wireless.
If you have 6mins 28secs to spare you can hear a recording of it on youtube.
Cheers,
Gandolfi.

tbhv55

It reminded me instantly of 'The Bricklayers Lament', part of an address to The Oxford Union in 1958 by humourist/raconteur Gerard Hoffnung.
Yes, I see what you mean! That, of course, is a classic piece of comedy of that era, but I have to say that I prefer Hoffnung's spoof interviews, in which Charles Richardson provides the perfect foil to Hoffnung's 'nonsense'. Worth a listen, if you're not already familiar with them.

The interviews are strange... sometimes oddly reflective, and certainly more than a little barmy. I'm always amazed at how much like an old man Gerard Hoffnung sounds - yet he wasn't, since sadly he died at 34 years of age.

pegelli

Very nice Pieter,

Have you heard of it? Was often requested to be played on the old wireless.
If you have 6mins 28secs to spare you can hear a recording of it on youtube.
Cheers,
Gandolfi.
Thanks, indeed a funny bit of comedy that I never heard of before. Here's a direct link for other people to watch. It's amazing that while there are no pictures you can see the whole episode clear in your mind what happened. Great command of language :thumbup:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
re the bricklayer..

Tim, yes they all sounded old in those days, that's why they call them the olden days:D, and of course they wore dinner jackets and bow ties to read the news on the radio!

Pieter, thanks for the link, I always liked the Bob Newhart tobacco sketch.

Jim, my favourite line was near the end, when he says "At this point...I must have lost my presence of mind..."

Here's a self portrait taken in the morning, before I had time to put my make-up on.