The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

Bugleone

Modern shopping areas are not usually items of beauty but there's a weird photogenic quality in that shot that proves the 'culture desert' can have it's moments........

mediumcool

Modern shopping areas are not usually items of beauty but there's a weird photogenic quality in that shot that proves the 'culture desert' can have it's moments........
Lots of effort went into the C1 processing! This shot simply did not work in colour IMO, so I converted it to mono, first in C1, and then in Pixelmator. One layer atop the other has a layer mask painted to reveal/hide sections to taste, but I had already added some adjustment layers in C1 to brighten the middle-RHS and certain bright linear areas. Photoshop for over twenty years, and C1 and Pixelmator for quite a bit less time; all have a lot to answer for! ;)

Flat process #1

Flat process #2

mediumcool

Monochrome conversion adds its own abstraction and hint of nostalgia automatically; the addition of toning and ‘grain’ is in my view mostly unnecessary, and often comes over as a clamorous substitute for good seeing and controlled tonal range. Without the work in C1, this is just another tedious real estate picture. IMO, of course!

Annna T

Personnally, I prefer the color version : the warm quality of the few remaining light comes better out.

Lots of effort went into the C1 processing! This shot simply did not work in colour IMO, so I converted it to mono, first in C1, and then in Pixelmator. One layer atop the other has a layer mask painted to reveal/hide sections to taste, but I had already added some adjustment layers in C1 to brighten the middle-RHS and certain bright linear areas. Photoshop for over twenty years, and C1 and Pixelmator for quite a bit less time; all have a lot to answer for! ;)

Flat process #1

Flat process #2

Bugleone

.......no one notices the grey NEX, especially when it's coming on to rain and you don't even look at the screen......such fun!

NEX 3 & 18-55mm

mediumcool

The new bus stop

Sony a7 w/ Canon FD 24mm f/2.8 1/200 f/2.8 ISO 100

20mm f/2.8 AF-Nikkor D lens profile used in Capture One—must try shooting a brick wall