The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

Bugleone

Another interesting shot, mediumcool.......

I did not click 'like' although it's worth much more than a passing glance for a whole raft of reasons in my view. The following just for interest, so please don't take any offence as absolutely none intended...and I would sort of like to have shot this.....suspect I don't have the vision 'tho!

....The shopping bag seems to work against the shot, for me anyway!....probably because the atmos is one of brutal detail and reality!......For the same reason the slight out of focus in the distant car etc would work better if sharp, as with the slight softness around the front feet of the shelter..... if these apparently unimportant details were cllinically sharp the whole thing would be even more effective in it's starkness......A tripod possible next time?

......Just me so don't fret!

mediumcool

Another interesting shot, mediumcool.
Thanks. [I think]

The shopping bag seems to work against the shot, for me anyway!
It’s my shopping bag, and I left it there, out of expediency, but also because it made the shelter seem more ‘occupied’. It’s not by choice, but most of my photography is to do with my daily life and movement—I have no car, but I do have diabetes and osteoarthritis, so mobility is sadly restricted. :D

… the atmos[phere] is one of brutal detail …
Magnified manual focusing, a great lens/camera combo, and superb technique! What more can I say? :p

For the same reason the slight out of focus in the distant car etc would work better if sharp …
Hand-held wide-open—as described in the info footer—and I found the B/G distracting in that it wasn’t sharp, but it wasn’t particularly soft either (I need a 24mm f/1.2!). In fact, the most time I spent on processing was to create a layer throwing the BG OOF.

… as with the slight softness around the front feet of the shelter … if these apparently unimportant details were cllinically sharp the whole thing would be even more effective in its starkness …
I don’t agree, but your points are thoughtfully made! The front feet I believe are subject to field curvature—if I had noticed, I would have separately over-sharpened the yellow feet, and comped them in in Pixelmator (good snooping BTW!). Also, I had set Sharpness Falloff at full tilt (250%).

A tripod possible next time?
What, my gigantic Gitzo? On a shopping trip? WTF? :p

Just me so don’t fret!
Won’t! :)

jotloob

Subscriber Member
IMO this is a very good city architecture but would turn out much more powerful when you use keystone correction to correct the
verticals . I have done so but don't dare to show it here , because
it would mean , that I have corrected an image , which does not belong to me .

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
IMO this is a very good city architecture but would turn out much more powerful when you use keystone correction to correct the
verticals . I have done so but don't dare to show it here , because
it would mean , that I have corrected an image , which does not belong to me .
Thanks, Jurgen,

Certainly from an architectural purist's point of view upright verticals (or vertical uprights!) are better. Whether the resulting image is more powerful I don't know.

I did a quick vertical perspective adjustment in Photoshop Elements6. The result is just a bit too cramped for me.

Feel free to post your corrected image if it is much different to mine.

Thanks for commenting.

gandolfi.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
I had a second look at it all on iPad mini and the corrected version is now my preference! Tho' not corrected quite enough!.

Cheers.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Very impressive . I look and look at that face and try to imagine , what that old lady is thinking of .:thumbs: