The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thoughts about manual focusing

V

Vivek

Hi,

That lens is on my list!

That list is something like this:

Zeiss Batis 1.8/85 (awaiting tests and concerned about MF)
Zeiss 2.0/135 APO (a bit to long for my tests)
Zeiss Otus 1.4/85 (a bit to large and to expensive)
Sony 2.8/90 Macro (awaiting tests, but LensRentals were quite impressed)

The APO Lanthar is half on that list. I am not in a great hurry as I don't feel the Sony A-series "is there" yet.

Best regards
Erik

Erik, As uhoh says there are several choices in this FL range.

I have the OM 85/2 (a true classic Sonnar clone), Contax 90/2.8 (very contrasty), Tokina ATX 90/2.5 (also Sonnar like rendering due to thick elements),etc.

The best I am happy to have and use is the Apo Summicron 75/2. Just a superlative lens in a very compact package. Pricey (compared to others) but the used prices aren't that far off from that of the new Batii, in the EU!

CharlesK

Erik, I think it will depend on your needs, whether it is portraits/people or mainly landscapes.

If it is people, I feel the Batis 85/1.8 will be superb. I love MF but having AF for portraits that is accurate allows you freedom to compose quicker. The FE 35/1.4 also has focus by wire, but it is well dampened, and it relatively easy to work with using MF. The sample images with Batis 85 presented so far look great!

For landscapes, of course the Leica M/R 90 Cron APO is an excellent lens, as is the Elmarit. I did have the M 90 Cron APO, 75 Cron AA and still have the 75 Lux. All superb lenses.

I really think the FE 90 will be superb, if landscapes and Macro are your main focus of interest.

mbroomfield

I don't subscribe to his testing but I noticed on his blog that Lloyd Chambers will start testing both Batis lenses tomorrow