The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can you preview files on a Tablet or Laptop?

JMaher

I am trying to find a way to preview files wirelessly on an Android, iPad or laptop using the built in WIFI on a Sony A7II. I know I can use Smart Remote Control to control the camera this way but I don't want to do that. What I am looking for is a way to have a preview of each photo pop up on a portable device (iPad, Android or Surface) but control the camera directly from the camera. I have researched this but can't seem to find a solution.

Any suggestions out there?

Jim

phigment

Last night as I was playing with my A7r I hit the 'FN' button while previewing an image. Up popped a menu asking if I wanted to transfer this image to a device.

If I had the play memories app open on my phone and connected to the camera, I could then look at the image. I don't recall the steps, but I also got in to a mode where I could use the phone to browse the photos on the camera and then select a handfull and transfer them in bulk.

Is that what you're looking for?

JMaher

I am actually looking for a mode that automatically sends a preview to a tablet so that someone else can see what I am shooting. Something like tethered but wireless.

The FN option sounds interesting and I will give it a try but it's not quite what i am looking for.

Thanks,

Jim

phigment

I can't recall all the features, but if I'm not mistaken, that same app has tethered wifi shooting. You can set the interval of refresh to the tablet. But the tablet can also control the camera... don't know if that's a problem.

JMaher

Tried the FN function. It's a great idea but not what i need as it simply sends the photo over to the camera and displays a small preview and shuts down.

The tethered WIFI function seems to require that the tablet takes control of the the shoot. I am looking for the tablet only as a viewer but the photo setup and shooting to be done at the camera.

Jim

ShooterSteve

Jim, What software are you using to tether with wifi on your iPad? Is it with the A7R? If so I'd like to try it out myself.

Tried the FN function. It's a great idea but not what i need as it simply sends the photo over to the camera and displays a small preview and shuts down.

The tethered WIFI function seems to require that the tablet takes control of the the shoot. I am looking for the tablet only as a viewer but the photo setup and shooting to be done at the camera.

Jim

Annna T

Jim
The remote app allows you to take control of the camera through the smartphone, but you can still operate some controls from the body : aperture, shutter speed and ISO. But you don't have control of all your usual buttons. For instance if you have disabled the AF with the halfway release button, you won't be able to focus. But you will be able to shoot and change a few parameter either from the body, or from the tablet. I just checked to be sure.
NB : make sure that you have got the last version of the app (I think it was updated last spring)

Also the send to smartphone mode of the play memory app will allow you to choose the pictures either on the smartphone or directly on the body (which may be more convenient for you). What is a little tricky is that the iPad tend to get out of the camera WIFI to return to the home WIFI rather rapidly after the pictures are sent.

JMaher

Steve,

I tethered with Lightroom and Sony's Remote Camera Control. You use Remote Camera Control to move the photos to the PC and then have Lightroom set up to look in the folder you are importing to and import directly into LR. Works great once setup.

Annna, I thought I tried this and the camera was very unresponsive but I'll take another look.

Jim

JMaher

Annna,

Ok - just tried it. The Sony Remote App did allow me to take pictures and they were transferred quickly. I feel like there is a delay involved in focus and frequently a delay when pressing the shutter button. Maybe it's just me but it seemed consistent.

Jim

Annna T

Steve,

I tethered with Lightroom and Sony's Remote Camera Control. You use Remote Camera Control to move the photos to the PC and then have Lightroom set up to look in the folder you are importing to and import directly into LR. Works great once setup.

Annna, I thought I tried this and the camera was very unresponsive but I'll take another look.

Jim
Some parameters have to be set on the iPad. For instance my body was in aperture priority, but the two wheels were changing aperture and shutterspeed instead of aperture and exposure compensation. I had so use the third wheel for exposure compensation (one I never use ordinarily). My impression is that I had set the remote to manual mode the last time I used it and that has overridden the PASM wheel on the body. I never tested what occurs when shooting with flash. It may be more tricky to control the flashes. For changing the ISO I rotated the back wheel, the one around the OK button. I don't think you can use the function button to access to the submenu. But I didn't test.

May be that the body is a little slow to answer, changes takes a little more time to show up.

Annna T

Annna,

Ok - just tried it. The Sony Remote App did allow me to take pictures and they were transferred quickly. I feel like there is a delay involved in focus and frequently a delay when pressing the shutter button. Maybe it's just me but it seemed consistent.

Jim
Yes, there is a little delay. One has to work a little slower than usual. Not a problem with still lifes or landscapes, but possibly one with people pictures when you want to catch the right expression.

JMaher

Annna,

Will try it out. My concern is just what you suggested as I will be using it for people.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Did anyone figure this out? I need to do a shoot where I give my iPad to the mother of the bride to live view while I shoot the engagement pictures. But control using the camera. Can I do this?

chkproductions

Jim - I am looking for the same ability, simply to view what I am about to shoot, primarily for stylists and stagers to easily see the framing and also I can talk somebody into positioning or tweaking a piece of furniture or accessory. I don't necessarily want to control the camera from the external device. That being said I had watched a video from one of the members on this forum for a camera he was/is creating. In the video on this link -

http://chiek.co.kr/list/view.php?id...ect_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=5&ckattempt=1

Watch as he turns the camera. The image is mirrored on his tablet. I see no wires so I assume this is real time wireless from the camera to the tablet.

I don't know if this helps you but it is what I am looking for.

Cheers

chk

Annna T

Yes thats it, how do you do that?....all with the play memories app?
First you need to create a WIFI connexion between the tablet and the camera. How you do that depends on your tablet model. With Sony own tablet you can use the near field connector (NFC) and that makes thing a little easier. With the iPad things are a little more complicated but it works well once that is set.

Then you need to get one of the Sony apps. The one you want is named "Smart Remote Control".

To set the WIFI connexion, read that part of the manual : Help Guide | Using Wi-Fi functions

To install and use the apps, read this part of the manual : Help Guide | Adding applications to the product

Or download the pdf version and read page 73 to 81 :
http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4478729112.pdf

Note that if you want to control the camera from the tablet and focus from the tablet, you need to set the option "AF with shutter" to on. If like me you keep AF off the shutter button and prefer using the back button to focus, then, each time you use the tablet you need to dig into the menu to change that option (noway to make this option accessible through the Fn button pannel).
Also if you shoot raw or raw plus jpeg, you may be surprised that the apps doesn't respect that setting. You have to set it from inside the app if you want it; the default is set to jpeg only and no raw will be saved on your card. What you have selected outside the app is separate. I was caught again to-day. Not sure why it changed.

Then you can play. It works. You can even play some mirrors games :

(if the image doesn't show up, follow that link : https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=820DEDA377597547!4440&authkey=!AMSxhYbQK8Rp3fY&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

Last edited: