The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

90mm on A7r

UHDR

hi guys.

Just wonder if you guys have had experience with either Contax G 90mm F2.8 or the Leica Summarit 90mm F2.4/2.5 ? I will be using it on the A7r.

I already have a decent m adaptor. obviously the contax is much cheaper, but by the time i get a decent adapter, then the cost is not too far off a secondhand summarit F2.5.

I mainly want to use it for color landscape i.e. close to infinity, and max aperture is not too much of a concern. thanks. :D

V

Vivek

I have the 90/2.8 (with a Metabones adapter) and the IQ is quite good. It is very contrasty. I bought the lens here (lens is in the box, complete) and it is 300 Euros (with the adapter). If interested, let me know. I have several options in the 85-105 region and the Contax isn't seeing much use. I would like to get the Apo Summicron 90/2 at some point to go with my 75/2. I have no experience with the Summarit 90. I recently bought the 35/2.5 from Paratom and it is superb.

JoelM

I have tested all sorts of 90s on my A7r. The Leica 90mm f4 macro was good as surprisingly was the Voightlander apo. The Apo was a bargain and the image quality was on par with the macro. I finally received a 1964 Fat Tele Elmarit in silver. It was the sharpest and had the most contrast of any 90 so far. It was quite a bit better than the later black fat teles. Not sure why, but was told that the first year TEs had a lanthanum element in them though that data was never published. In any case, I am awaiting the arrival of the Apo Summicron ASPH like Vivek mentioned. It should be here shortly and I will test it with my fat tele.

Joel

turtle

The 75mm Summarit and 90mm Elmar-M (latest) are both amazing so see no reason why the 90mm Summarit won't be.

uhoh7

The A7 series, all of them, love the 90 summarit, and handling on the camera is superb. It's way over the 90 contax, which is a nice lens of course, but the 90 Rit is state of the art, hellacious sharp across the frame from wide open.

The Summarit is also fantastic with color rendition.

I tried a ton of 90s, none I liked better.

UHDR

Thanks for the replies!

I saw some samples of 90mm summarit on flickr, they are indeed very very good.

Have you guys came across samples of the G 90mm at infinity?

Vivek, do you have any previous landscape shots from the G 90mm? ?

I might get greedy and get the 75 summarit and G 90mm... :D

Thanks for the replies!

I saw some samples of 90mm summarit on flickr, they are indeed very very good.

Have you guys came across samples of the G 90mm at infinity?

Vivek, do you have any previous landscape shots from the G 90mm? ?

Here is the aperture series at infinity from 2.8 to 11 on the A7s

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3732ahalva73tfk/Contax G 90.rar?dl=0

And I happen to have this copy for sale too :D.

uhoh7

I would do it the other way:

Get a CV 75/2.5 which is the equal of any Leica 75, according to Sean Reid, and smaller and lighter, for about 300USD, and just as fast as the 75 rit (which is also excellent)

Then get a 90 rit, which really is at the head of the class. :)

for pure value at 90: CV 90/3.5 APO, sharpest of all Voigtlander LTMs, according to some. About 350USD

Hausen

I have the Minolta 90/4 and the Canon 90TS-E. Both are great on A7r. If you are going to be doing Landscapes you might want to consider the Canon 90TS-E, superb glass and tilt/shift using the Sony live view is very easy to use and great for the outdoors.

UHDR

I have the Minolta 90/4 and the Canon 90TS-E. Both are great on A7r. If you are going to be doing Landscapes you might want to consider the Canon 90TS-E, superb glass and tilt/shift using the Sony live view is very easy to use and great for the outdoors.
you reminded me, I do a have a sony 85mm f2.8 which supposedly a copy of the old contax 85mm. may be will use that for the time being:D

Hausen

Always fun when you remember you have a lens that you had forgotten about, must have a look in my cupboard and see what is hiding in there.

UHDR

Always fun when you remember you have a lens that you had forgotten about, must have a look in my cupboard and see what is hiding in there.
i also have the zeiss 85mm f1.4 ZF which is my go-to lens for portrait type shots. the F2.8 was one of those Sony's "Easy Choice" lens which I bought during mega sale... and because of the smaller aperture i keep lending it out to people who wants to try A mount lens on their E-mount camera.... so, over time, it was.....err...."easy to forget" type lens lol :D.