The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Power pack for my Sony a7xx cameras

SamSS

I thought I should share this for anyone that has a need for an external power pack for an extended time shoot or as a backup power during hiking.

From looking around, I knew that a Sony AC adapter supplies 7.6v to the camera. Most power power pack that I've looked at that cost around $80 + additional parts.
Yet, they don't provide the crucial correct voltage to the camera and still too bulky to wear around the waist or attach to a tripod.

I bit the bullet on this $24 bicycle LED light with rechargable power pack rated 8.4v which is closest to 7.6v required.
Bought an after market AC adapter for Sony $14
For the last part, I could have bought a DC male to male 2.5mm adapter for $3 but decided to use spare parts that I had laying around.
(cut off to use the end part of an old AC adapter for computer speakers + a connector)

My total cost is under $40...and have an LED light as a bonus :)

The good news is that the 8.4v power pack measured at 7.6v...perfect!

Now, I've not had a chance to test out how long it powers my camera.
The unit has 4x 18650 batteries rated at 6400mAh.
Though, I wouldn't careless if it actually has 3/4 of its rated mAh.
That's plenty enough for me to tether, time lapse or video shooting without worrying of power interuption.

I will probably need to spring $50 for that Capture One PRO for Sony to utilize LIVE VIEW capture tethering with Surface Pro 3.

This is the LED light with rechargable power pack, sleeve. (2 included rubber band loop use to attach bicycle's handle bar not in picture)

This is the third party AC adaptor for Sony + home mod DC male to male adaptor

This is how it looks like as connected

Measured 7.6v before insertion

Power On

Tethered with Surface Pro 3 (sorry about the last 2 pictures are out of focus...I must tired :))

SamSS

I would like make two corrections:
DC male to male connector actually is 5.5mm x 2.1mm and not 2.5mm as stated in the picture.
and included AC adaptor charger for the LED light battery pack is not shown the picture.

I thought I should share this for anyone that has a need for an external power pack for an extended time shoot or as a backup power during hiking.

From looking around, I knew that a Sony AC adapter supplies 7.6v to the camera. Most power power pack that I've looked at that cost around $80 + additional parts.
Yet, they don't provide the crucial correct voltage to the camera and still too bulky to wear around the waist or attach to a tripod.

I bit the bullet on this $24 bicycle LED light with rechargable power pack rated 8.4v which is closest to 7.6v required.
Bought an after market AC adapter for Sony $14
For the last part, I could have bought a DC male to male 2.5mm adapter for $3 but decided to use spare parts that I had laying around.
(cut off to use the end part of an old AC adapter for computer speakers + a connector)

My total cost is under $40...and have an LED light as a bonus :)

The good news is that the 8.4v power pack measured at 7.6v...perfect!

Now, I've not had a chance to test out how long it powers my camera.
The unit has 4x 18650 batteries rated at 6400mAh.
Though, I wouldn't careless if it actually has 3/4 of its rated mAh.
That's plenty enough for me to tether, time lapse or video shooting without worrying of power interuption.

I will probably need to spring $50 for that Capture One PRO for Sony to utilize LIVE VIEW capture tethering with Surface Pro 3.

This is the LED light with rechargable power pack, sleeve. (2 included rubber band loop use to attach bicycle's handle bar not in picture)

This is the third party AC adaptor for Sony + home mod DC male to male adaptor
Thanks for sharing this info.

If I'm not wrong, capture One cannot live view with the Sony, only tether.

I have a question for you. How good is the experience with the Surface Pro 3?

I have a fenomenal HDR software (SNS-HDR) that only runs on windows.

I been a mac user for the last 10 years and would like to try new windows portable machines.

SamSS

As indicated on Phase One's website, Live View supports 3 models currently.
Capture One PRO version for Sony

Tether with LIVE VIEW Supported Cameras
ILCE-A7ii
ILCE-A7S
SLT-A77ii

Tether Only Supported Cameras
ILCE-A7
ILCE-A7R
SLT-A99
a6000
a5100
a5000

IMO, Surface Pro 3 is the best thing when it comes to portability that takes advantage of regular desktop softwares.
The stylus pen, touch screen and overall size are perfect.
Though, I've read there are users ran into with wifi issues which I've NOT encountered once.

BTW, I bought the items off Ebay. The key words to search are:
SolarStorm 6000 Lm 3x CREE XM-L U2 LED with battery pack
AC-PW20 AC Power Adapter + DC Coupler Kit For Sony
5.5mm x 2.1mm Male to 5.5x 2.1mm Male DC plug for Cable extension connector

SamSS

I would like to report back and very happy with it.
I gave it a full charge yesterday. Mount a7ii with most features turned on including wifi throughout.
a) First 2 hrs with LCD always on.
b) 3 hrs with EVF only. Though, after the first 2 & 1/2 hrs battery gauge reported empty in the camera...but still going strong.
c) switched to slideshow playback on the LCD from SD card in the camera for 1 & 1/2 hrs then I have to called quit. Got to get sleep.
So far it ran 6.30 minutes and still going.

Battery gauge in the camera is inaccurate.

Downloaded the latest version of Capture One 8.3 ...and used as a PRO trial version to test out the LIVE VIEW.
My only gripe is that unable to make any focus adjustment.

Sam in CO when in liveview, you can click on the image and it should go to 100% to facilitate manual focus. Not sure if that what you meant by "unable to make any focus adjustment."

Annna T

I would like to report back and very happy with it.
I gave it a full charge yesterday. Mount a7ii with most features turned on including wifi throughout.
a) First 2 hrs with LCD always on.
b) 3 hrs with EVF only. Though, after the first 2 & 1/2 hrs battery gauge reported empty in the camera...but still going strong.
c) switched to slideshow playback on the LCD from SD card in the camera for 1 & 1/2 hrs then I have to called quit. Got to get sleep.
So far it ran 6.30 minutes and still going.

Battery gauge in the camera is inaccurate.

Downloaded the latest version of Capture One 8.3 ...and used as a PRO trial version to test out the LIVE VIEW.
My only gripe is that unable to make any focus adjustment.
Concerning focus adjustment : do you mean via AF or MF ?

If you are speaking of AF, here is my experience using the A7r :
There is an option to disable AF with half shutter release. I have set the AF on the back button and disabled AF with half release of the shutter. That is my usual way of shooting. However if I want to use some Sony app, like the remote app, or the timelapse app, or if I want to use one of the scene modes (portrait or whatever), the back button doesn't AF any more. Under these particular conditions, I have to put AF back on the half release of the shutter button. For instance, when using the remote app on an iPad, you can get touch auto focus, but not if you have your camera set to use the back button.

So just in case you are trying to AF while your body is set to AF with the back button, then try to put AF back to the release button, it may solve your problem and allow you to use AF from the computer. (Well partly solve your problem, because each time you want to tether you will have to dig rather deep into the menu to change that setting and you can't memorize that setting in a custom mode).

SamSS

Hi Anna and Antonio.

The battery pack finally gave in after another 10 minutes of usage today.

On Capture One Pro and Sony's Remote Control interface, neither allow flexible focus adjustment point.
As in Capture One Pro LIVE VIEW window, it does not allow clicking/touching a subject to focus.
I did some reading and found out that there is a focus bar that allows focus area can be moved left or right but not up and down with

"certain compatitble" Canon & Nikon cameras. It is unsupported for Sony.

It would be nice if focus points can be executed from tethered equipment (computer) without touching the remote camera.
Remote Control app operates from Android has no problem with selecting AF points.

For now, I'm going skip the PRO upgrade unless such feature is implimented on future versions.

There is a "Pick focus area" button.

But, it's not support.

There is a "Pick focus area" button.

But, it's not support.

Currently, these buttons are the only option.