The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RX 1 quality with A7 ll?

jmg1949

I have two cameras. A Sigma DPM 2 and an Oly OMD E5 with several lenses. As much as I am amazed by the Foveon image quality I really miss an image stabilized camera and an eye level view finder. The Oly is a terrific camera but I would like a bit more leeway for cropping and it really doesn't match the Sigma image quality. I've been really impressed by the images in the RX-1 thread. Wonder if there is a lens that would match up with A7 ll that would equal the image quality of the RX 1? I would imagine they share the same sensor. I know that some have suggested that there is a special synergy of lens and sensor in the RX 1 and perhaps it can't be matched with the A7 ll but wonder what the experts here think.
Thanks for any input.

Jim

iiiNelson

I would be really surprised if the A7II + 35 Distagon FE didn't compare well with the RX1 personally. I don't know if it's "better" but I know its a damn good combo.

mazor

How about the much favored Zeiss FE 35mm f2.8. It is small, compact with excellent IQ. Being a compact lens, allows the A7ii to bear closer formfactor resemblance to the RX1, albeit with a built in EVf and IBIS. There is without a doubt the 35mm Distogon is preferable, but this will make the camera substantially heavier and larger.

V

Vivek

Wait for the rumored RX2. IF the weight/bulk isn't a factor then you can always buy the A7II and the 35/1.4. Someday, Sony are likely to issue a 35/2 along the lines of the 28/2.

turtle

While the synergy (matching lens and sensor perfectly, as per RX1) is very real and likely will not be matched in an interchangeable lens camera, the question is 'how much does this mater'?

If you want a staggeringly good matched 'pocket' combo and love 28mm, look no further than the Ricoh GR (which I compared to the Leica Monochrom here), which IMHO shows everyone how it should be done (and on a budget a quarter of the Rx1). If you want flexibility and compactness, there is a lot to be said for the Sony A7 II! A 28mm f2 and 55mm 1.8 is the beginning of a lightweight travel combo that the RX1 cannot match for flexibility.... and the 28mm f2 looks to be very, very good (and slightly better than the 35mm f2.8 Sonnar).

While the Rx1 is great (and so will its successor be), it is still a fixed lens camera, so IMHO that should be your first decision: do I need only 28 or 35mm? If you need flexibility, forget the fixed lens combo, because 'matched lens and sensor' combos, while better, don't make good prints alone.

jmg1949

Thanks all for the replies. While I'm sure that the 35/1.4 provides stunning output, that is one big, expensive lens! The 35/2.8 is a nice size but I would like a faster lens. I'll see if one of the local shops has the 28/2 to try out with the A7 ll. I've not considered the Ricoh as I didn't think it was image stabilized. I've always had a bit of a tremor and it's getting a bit worse as I get older. For example, the only way I get some sharp pictures with the Sigma is by using a 2 second shutter delay. Thanks again for the input.
Jim

JMaher

The A7II with the 35 2.8 is excellent. I understand the desire for a faster lens but don't discount the advantages of IS and excellent high ISO processing. While I loved my EM5 the A7II does much better with less light as well as allowing for cropping.
-Jim

uhoh7

Jim that 35/2.8 FE is plenty fast to go in ANY light with A7II, though the RX1 or RX1r will smoke it for image quality (good as the FE is)

The purpose built fixed 35 on the RX1 is considered by many the best 35 on the market today. No 35 on any A7 camera can match it technically, tiny or huge, native or legacy.

With the RX1 at f/2 you can turn up the shutter and moot your shake :)

A7II is a big camera, quite a bit bigger and heavier than the A7x, while obviously the RX1 is very small.

biglouis

On the one hand I sold my RX1 as soon as I bought my A7 and it was a big mistake. It was more than a year until the Loxia 2/35 came along that I was without a good 35mm lens for the A7/R/S. Even then I am not convinced that the RX1 isn't better than the Loxia+A7R.

I can also wholeheartedly agree with Turtle (above) that a very good alternative is the Ricoh GR. That camera and lens is just fantastic value for money and a quarter of the price of the RX1. Of course it lacks an EVF and the sensor is smaller. But it is the same sensor that Leica chose for its T which is an accolade of some sorts and unlike the RX1 the sensor does not have an AA filter.

If you want to check out what you can do with a GR see this.

It is like the guy said, "f5.6, 1/125 (a Ricoh GR) and be there".

Personally, if all things were equal I wish I'd kept my RX1. I may even consider a s/h RX1R at some point in the future. It is a beautiful camera with a fantastic lens. And for more than a year all I used was the Ricoh GR (28mm), RX1 (35mm), DP2M (45mm equiv) and DP3M (75mm equiv).

LouisB

Jim that 35/2.8 FE is plenty fast to go in ANY light with A7II, though the RX1 or RX1r will smoke it for image quality (good as the FE is)

The purpose built fixed 35 on the RX1 is considered by many the best 35 on the market today. No 35 on any A7 camera can match it technically, tiny or huge, native or legacy.

With the RX1 at f/2 you can turn up the shutter and moot your shake :)

A7II is a big camera, quite a bit bigger and heavier than the A7x, while obviously the RX1 is very small.
The RX1 lens is definitely special - I just did a 2 year retrospective post on the RX1 here: http://chadwadsworth.com/2015/06/02/the-sony-rx1-maintaining-its-relevance.

I've compared it to the new FE 35/1.4 and was surprised at how poorly the CA performance of the RX1 lens was next to the FE so I don't hold it in this "better than anything else" view.

Still, the way the Sonnar renders is incredibly pleasing to me personally, maybe more so that the FE Distagon. I do think the FE 35/2.8 approaches the rendering of the RX1 lens (they are both Sonnars) but I miss the creamy look at F/2 that you can only get on the RX1 lens.

jmg1949

Thanks again for the input. If I can get a reasonable trade in on my Oly gear I'll likely go with either the 35/2.8 or 28/2.

Jim