The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I thought Sony had cured my Leica disease...

pegelli

I see it as a more expensive RX1 with an EVF and slightly wider lens.

No question it will deliver great photographs, but for me it isn't worth the price (btw neither was or is the RX1 for me)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I see the attraction to these types of cameras but for me its not smart money spent. I need interchangeable lenses.

bradhusick

Cons: 28mm, fixed lens, $1500 too expensive.

Sign me up for the interchangeable m-mount version for $3K.

V

Vivek

The hopes and aspirations expressed in Huff's review (one has to read his reviews carefully- he is quite sophisticated!) of the Q is correct.

I am waiting for the RX2. I am hoping it will truly be a pocketable compact.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
As a every-day carry around camera it has a lot of promise. First native resolution and 28mm are pretty good for general street shooting especially with the built-in macro mode.
The digital zoom bit is puzzling since one can always crop, except the instant production of pre-cropped jpegs has a certain attraction. Better than a phone for sure at maximum zoom.
I am really enjoying my M240 since re-entry to Leica, so this might be a logical extension.
So the M240 for interchangeable lenses and the Q for every-day stuff makes some sense to me.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Cons: 28mm, fixed lens, $1500 too expensive.

Sign me up for the interchangeable m-mount version for $3K.
I am surmising that that won't happen to prevent canibalization of their M line.
But it is usually better to eat your own lunch before someone else eats it for you.
-bob

iiiNelson

I am surmising that that won't happen to prevent canibalization of their M line.
But it is usually better to eat your own lunch before someone else eats it for you.
-bob
Ahem... Never say never.

I assume that the mirrorless market is a niche that Leica wouldn't mind having a piece of no matter how small. As you said they that you buy a cheap lunch from them than you eat in another establishment.

Look how many M shooters bought into the FE system hoping/praying it would work with M lenses for a less expensive backup/ability to AF lenses when the mood strikes.

Look how many more are lying to themselves about the overly expensive Leica T... and yes I've handled one in the store. Fun novelty but I'd never personally invest that sort of money into what is just a novelty.

V

Vivek

I did not link that picture so that it does not upset your dinner plans. :angel:

ohnri

It looks like a really nice camera.

Leica fans have something to cheer about.

Considering how great my RX1 is I can now only imagine what the RX2 might have in store.

-Bill

Eoin

Looks lovely, I'm sure image quality is superb. But and it's a big factor ... will it develop any of the faults (sensor or otherwise) of it's M digital counterparts?. Time will tell.
I still have fond memories of my M days, but sadly now out of my price/performance bracket.
Good luck to them, I hope it's a huge success.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sonys announcement just cured my Leica disease. LOL

Seriously this looks like a nice little cam to trow in the pocket. Just not in the cards for me though

doug

So Leica now has Q, S and T products. Do they realize a letter is missing from this sequence?