The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sony A7RII announcement

Viramati

" I am very curious about the backlit sensor and RF wides, that's for sure, obviously Sony could care less, but if it does well, intentions matter little "

One reason why i preordered, i suspect also we could have nice surprises with some rangefinder lenses added to others qualities this camera will eventually demonstrate.
Indeed this too is another reason to be interested. Will my WATE perform better than the FE16-35? Will the lux 50 asph and CV 12 be better? Will have to wait and see as some seem to suggest that this may be the case.

joe_leads

Sorry to ruin the party a bit but
A7R & A7 = 0 EV ISO 100 with F/2.8 lens
A7II = -1 EV ISO 100 with F/2.0 lens (so this is actually 100% same as A7 & A7R as the lens in spec is one stop faster)
A7RII = -2 EV ISO 100 F/2.0 lens (1 EV better than all before)
A7S = -4 EV ISO F/2.0 lens
I'm not so sure how to interpret these values. In my understanding EV is EV, independent of any lens' aperture value. Also I've never seen Nikon or Canon giving any aperture values with their AF low light sensitivity specs. We'll see it in practice once the A7RII is out.

tn1krr

I'm not so sure how to interpret these values. In my understanding EV is EV, independent of any lens' aperture value. Also I've never seen Nikon or Canon giving any aperture values with their AF low light sensitivity specs. We'll see it in practice once the A7RII is out.
The AF sensitivity stuff can be confusing even ats its best, specially when trying to compare different manufacturers. Saying something like "-2 EV sensitivity" does not really specify conditions fully. The Sony way speccing and how it changed from F/2.8 to F/2.0 is quite easy to read; -2 EV @F/2.0 really is same as -1 EV @F/2.8. See below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_value

Knorp

Did someone notice this: would we really get a charger and TWO batteries ... :bugeyes:

Knorp

My A7s came with a charger and two batteries. A7II did not. I expect that A7rII will have two batteries and charger.
Hi Cindy,

that would be excellent - though I read somewhere the 4K video mode is particularly battery-hungry but hopefully this isn't also true for the A7R2's still mode.
Time will tell ...

Kind regards.

Jim DE

Cindy, I asked the customer service rep at the Sony Store when ordering and he seems sure it was only one battery with the a7rII..... I ordered 2 additional as I have 8-10 of these floating around for my NEX bodies and a33. Hey I got them for free with my a7rII order as I had leftover free accessories money after getting the vertical grip for free.. :D

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy, I asked the customer service rep at the Sony Store when ordering and he seems sure it was only one battery with the a7rII..... I ordered 2 additional as I have 8-10 of these floating around for my NEX bodies and a33. Hey I got them for free with my a7rII order as I had leftover free accessories money after getting the vertical grip for free.. :D

B+H lists "in the Box" 2 x NP-FW50 Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery (1020mAh)

I guess we will know soon.

Jim DE

Can never have too many charged batteries either way ..... My free accessories and my first FE lens for it arrive's today. Then it's a wait till 8/5 for the body. Time will drag from now till then :(

algrove

Can never have too many charged batteries either way ..... My free accessories and my first FE lens for it arrive's today. Then it's a wait till 8/5 for the body. Time will drag from now till then :(
Not familiar with Sony shopping how does one get free accessories and batteries? TIA.

The Ute

People are going to willingly fork over more than $3300 dollars for a camera body but they
concern themselves w whether or not Sony will include an extra battery.

Too funny. :bugeyes:

Jim DE

Not familiar with Sony shopping how does one get free accessories and batteries? TIA.

If you pre order through the Sony USA store site and call their customer service to order they have a 15% worth of free accessories offer going on so essentially you get 15% of $3199.99 in value to apply to accessories. Also using the customer service you get free next day shipping. I'll take savings where ever I can find it. Before I pre ordered this way I verified this offer through my Sony Pro Service Plan Manager and he made a call to certify this was legit.

UTE, I'll take any savings or products they care to offer ... these batteries are nearly $80 a pop. This might be insignificant to some but for a working pro money saved is money made! This FE body right now is for my personal use but if it proves itself as a viable tool that I can use for work then I will roll over to this system as my A mount stuff wears out. Right now this is a testing the water's expenditure and I see no direct financial return from it at this moment. An extra $80 battery included? If true, I'll take it with a smile and be appreciative they included it!

The Ute

If you pre order through the Sony USA store site and call their customer service to order they have a 15% worth of free accessories offer going on so essentially you get 15% of $3199.99 in value to apply to accessories. Also using the customer service you get free next day shipping. I'll take savings where ever I can find it. Before I pre ordered this way I verified this offer through my Sony Pro Service Plan Manager and he made a call to certify this was legit.

UTE, I'll take any savings or products they care to offer ... these batteries are nearly $80 a pop. This might be insignificant to some but for a working pro money saved is money made! This FE body right now is for my personal use but if it proves itself as a viable tool that I can use for work then I will roll over to this system as my A mount stuff wears out. Right now this is a testing the water's expenditure and I see no direct financial return from it at this moment. An extra $80 battery included? If true, I'll take it with a smile and be appreciative they included it!
You can get 3rd party batteries for way less than that and they work just fine Jim.