The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Next FE lenses?

BJNY

A7rII press release stated:
"The α7R II is compatible with Sony’s growing lineup of α -mount lenses, which now totals 63 different models including 12 native ‘FE’ full frame lenses. By early 2016, Sony will add an additional 8 new lenses to its FE full frame lineup, bringing the FE total to 20 lenses and the overall α -mount assortment to 70 different models."

Current from Sony:
1) 16-35mm
2) 24-240mm
3) 24-70mm
4) 28mm
5) 28-70mm
6) 28-135mm
7) 35mm 1.4
8) 35mm 2.8
9) 55mm
10) 70-200mm
11) 90mm

Obviously, the Batis 85mm and Batis 25mm are the next two.

What will, and what should the next six lenses be?

Last edited:

iiiNelson

My understanding is that the Batis is coming from Zeiss and thus are not on the Sony roadmap... This might be 8 other lenses over the next year or so. I don't think Sony included the Loxia's on their roadmap either for the record. I'd assume one would be a medium speed premium 24-105, a fast 50, or the like.

Last edited:

ggibson

On an earlier roadmap there was one more lens mentioned as a "large aperture prime". Before the Batis announcement, I would have assumed that was referring to an 85/1.x, but now I'm not so sure. It'd be strange for Zeiss and Sony to overlap so closely (although I guess they did do that on the 35mm...). Other possibilities could be a 50/1.4 or 24/1.x.

As far as primes, I'd REALLY like to see some more compact options like the 35/2.8. Maybe a 40mm pancake or a smaller 85/2.8.

Aside from that, I think Sony's lacking a bit in longer focal lengths--I'd expect to see a 70-300mm consumer or G lens. Or possibly something even longer.

One final thing to note is the timeline Sony gives on their roadmap is a bit lagged to when we actually see the lenses hit the market. All of the lenses released this year (28, 24-240, 35/1.4, 90 macro) are all "2014" year lenses. So while I'd expect to see some lens announcements later this year, I'm not holding my breath for anything new on the shelf until 2016. Heck, we're still waiting for the 90 macro to join the party!

V

Vivek

They don't follow through with those claims. If they have any sense they will come up with a set of primes along the lines of the FE28/2.

The Lotus and Batus are from Zeiss. They don't come in an orange box just like the Mitakon, Samyang lenses.

turtle

Sony has reportedly filed a patent for a 28-70 f4, then I would guess at the following:

Sony prime/s wider than 28mm (including one G lens).
200-400mm G
75-300 slow consumer zoom?
85mm Sony branded portrait lens
maybe a 50mm macro?
40mm slow pancake?

If they are really going after Nikon and Canon they will have to eventually include native tilt and shift lenses, but by 2016? That would be bold, but show what they are putting into the system (in case anyone is still not convinced).

V

Vivek

There is no (zero, zilch) chance of T/S lenses from Sony. They never did for the Alpha (A mount).

We do not need any "road maps" from them either. We know that never pans out. Why bother raising the expectations without anything to show, year after year.

They should simply put their hands up and ask Fuji or some other to make lenses for them.

iiiNelson

There is no (zero, zilch) chance of T/S lenses from Sony. They never did for the Alpha (A mount).

We do not need any "road maps" from them either. We know that never pans out. Why bother raising the expectations without anything to show, year after year.

They should simply put their hands up and ask Fuji or some other to make lenses for them.
So far the road maps have been pretty accurate and it gives something to look forward to.

Regarding not having T/S on A-mount you are correct in that it PROBABLY won't happen but up until the A55 all of the previously cameras were traditional SLR's. I think the possibility that the mirrorless cameras can be used like view cameras and show real time effects puts T/S in a different territory than the past for them I think.

It'll be nice to see them do that when no one expects they could or thought they would.

Regarding Fuji making lenses though... Well I think Sony does really well with the lenses they produce when they set out to make a world class lens.

4season

A tiny 40 mm would be great, and I'd be a sucker for pretty much anything barely larger than a body cap.