The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII game plan

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well we have till June 17 to order and August 20th to ship to our doors. I thought it would be interesting to see what folks game plan maybe. Are we selling current models for it or not buying it???

Are we working our lens system around in FE mounts , possible buying more Canon glass. Or staying pat till you see what works or not. In the meantime the 2 Batis lenses will come on the market what are you doing there. Buying, hiding, trading.

Let's also say for fun if you need two bodies what would be the best combination.

Are you buying for video or stills.

Let's hear your thought process on this whole matter . Let's also hear your concerns and exuberance for it or not.

Make it fun, we have not spent a dime YET. Oh and what bank will you need my rented ski mask for. LOL

Last edited:

turtle

Re: A7rIi game plan

I'm not 100% sure yet, but I am most likely to wait until an upgraded A7S II comes along. If and when it does, I am likely to buy a twin body set (R&S Mk II) plus the 25 & 85 Batis and possibly the 35mm Distagon, once prices have dipped a little. As part of this, I would sell up my Canon bodies and all my glass except for the 24mm TS-E and one or both f1.2 L lenses.

For now, I'm very happy with my Mk I bodies, but assuming the AF on the A7R II is as good as hoped, I feel my needs for AF tracking (and therefore Canon) are such that I just don't need DSLRs any more. This is the end of FF DSLR for me and now that I have enjoyed the benefits of Sony sensors (and the Monochrom), there is no way on earth I could ever take my 5D III seriously again for the sort of B&W work I do. I never did like it for that.

I'm still glad I have the Mk I bodies, because they are smaller and lighter, not to mention way more expendable (their value being such that I won't bother selling them - they will remain v useful). Combined with a 28mm and 55mm, the A7 is still a superb lightweight travel option.

V

Vivek

My preorder days are over. :)

If some one wants to send me gifts, here is my list:

1. 2X A7R II (yeah 1 would not cut it).
2. 1x RX100 iv
3. Good samples of 25 Batis and may be an 85.
4. 4K recorder for A7s and another A7s.
5. Cash to buy accs, extra computers, monitors and such.

:)

iiiNelson

Batis lenses are paid for already. I will probably sell some gear (A7 and maybe some other lenses) to fund the A7RII. It's a must buy for me. As for the video... I guess it's nice to have but I never touch the stuff to be honest. I just don't care about video features in reality.

Actually I wouldn't be upset if they offered a version without the 4K or any video features for $500-1000 less. I realize this will never happen though.

SamSS

"A7rIi game plan" for a moment I thought you might found a source that we can pay for less as a "group buy".
I'm going keep both a7 & a7ii as back up cameras since aren't worth much to sell.
Probably stay on the "instant noodle" diet for now until the arrival of a7rii, Batis and the macro :)

Guy Mancuso

I'm buying , I figured that out in about 5 minutes reading the feature sets. My game plan on how and what goes and stays is a moving target. The 35mm stays for sure. I want the 85 no doubt about it. I do want the 25 but to do that the 16-35 goes and I lose my extreme wide angle. Than if I did that I would want one of several choices Tri-elmar or Leica 18 if it works or go back to the 17mm TSE which I'm leaning towards. The Loxia 50 I love but I'm not the biggest 50mm fan either, so that carries a question mark and so does my Minolta 200mm as I don't think given its a screw drive lens the Lae3 adapter would give me more AF points. This is still unclear to me if it would work. If not than obvious choice would be maybe a Canon 200 2.8 or the 70-200 F4 zoom. I'm undecided here. I'm also undecided on my Sigma 24-70 A mount as I may want to get canons 24-70 2.8 if the metabones works as promised for PR crap. Backup camera might just be a A6000 as it would be emergency mode. The A7II is going on the block for funding reasons. Problem here is needing to raise a lot of cash within this time frame. It's actually a good time because I do a really big gig and I sell a lot of prints

I've just finished building my architecture kit, which will utilize the Arca Universalis (as I've mentioned). I'll pre-order one body right away. If the new grip doesn't interfere too much with the view camera, I'll order a backup body and sell the MK I.

Glass... did I say I was finished? Hmm...

Smoothjazz

I had the 85mm ZA lens with LEA4 adapter, which was an excellent lens, but found the combo of lens and adapter somewhat bulky on the A7r camera.
I have now sold the lens and adapter, and ordered the 85mm Batis- seems like a clear winner to me. I just noticed looking at the specs today that the Batis is one-half pound lighter than my previous 85mm ZA (1.0 vs 1.5 lb).
Nice!!!

I may forego even getting the lens shade- seems rather bulky, and is a separate order.

Guy Mancuso

Lens shade comes with the lens. Look at what's in the box at B&h. I never use OEM lens shades. I buy cheap metal screw in hoods on eBay. The only exception is the Loxia shades which I like

hcubell

Well we have till June 17 to order and August 20th to ship to our doors. I thought it would be interesting to see what folks game plan maybe. Are we selling current models for it or not buying it???

LOL
Did the August 20th ship date come from Sony?
Thanks.

jfirneno

Guy:
I'm glad you started this thread. Nice to see what everybody thinks (needs/wants). I think for the time being I'll stand pat with the A7S. The only thing that would sway me is if the AF turned out to be pro-dslr good. But honestly, I'd prefer a 24 mpix daytime camera. So what I'm really looking for is a 24 mpix A7 with D4 focusing. Of course then I'll want that AF in an A7S package too (but I'll settle for 12-16 mpix there).

Lens-wise, I've got the 35/1.4, 55/1.8, 28/2, 35/2.8 and in a-mount I'm covered for 12-24, 28-75/2.8, 135/1.8, 70/200/2.8 and 200/4 (macro) (and a bunch of other stuff). I'm excited about the Batis 25 and 85. I liked the Loxia but the 35 and 50 are a little redundant. I'm really interested to see what's next on Sony's (and Zeiss's) roadmap. I'd love a rectilinear super wide (12 or 14) but I don't think that gonna be a priority. These are certainly exciting times but I just keep going back to autofocus. Sony will always provide new cameras with amazing sensors and lots of goodies like IBIS. But they really really need to make their AF world-class. That will provide them with market share and the pro-market.

Paul David

Guy,

The feature set looks great. The support.... what support? I've recently posted about my fiasco with "Precision Camera" in attempting to get a dead lens repaired, and others have universally described the same incompetent service.

I would very much like to order the A7rII, but am hesitating because of serious concerns about service.

How do you invest in a system that has no factory warranty service?

Paul

ggibson

I will have to just drool over the A7rII for the foreseeable future. Too rich for my blood, unfortunately with other spending priorities at the moment. I will stick with my A7 for the time being. If I can sell it and upgrade to the A7II for $300 net or less, I might consider that for the IBIS/AF/handling improvements.

Pradeep

Interesting thread.

I've already placed an order for the A7RII with my dealer. I am leaving for a tour of Iceland on August 28th and would love to have it with me.

Going to sell the current A7R shortly.

I have the 16-35/4, 24-70/4, 35/2.8 and the 55/1.8

Of these, the performance of the 24-70 is lackluster the others I am quite happy with. Would love to get the Batis 25 for night photography as the 16-35/4 may be too slow (or so I am told). I have used the Nikon 14-24/2.8 with a double adapter on my A7R and the results were great but it was a very fiddly setup, with no idea of the aperture and of course manual focusing.

There is a real need for a sharp, fast and ultrawide zoom in the Canon/Sony lineup. The new 11-24 from Canon is f4 and despite rave reviews wouldn't work for night imaging.

The other dilemma I would eventually face then is what about my newly acquired Pentax 645Z? I love the IQ and the MF dynamics of the camera, the lenses are another matter and to get the best is not cheap. Difficult to justify building up both the Sony and the Pentax systems unless I can do away with the Canon bodies.

The one critical factor in my case would be how good the new A7RII performs with adapted Canon lenses, AF wise. If it does as good as they say it will then it would be a huge relief, for I can slowly transfer some of my work to the Sony.

Eventually, there will come a day when the Sony systems will be just as good in AF as the Canon/Nikon are today and perhaps with an equally impressive lens selection.

I believe it is not that far off.

Pradeep