The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII game plan

ohnri

I expect the A7R ii will fully replace my D800.

If I can convince myself that my Samsung NX1 is adequate to do the job of my D4 then I can finally get down to 2 systems by selling off all my Nikon gear.

With both Sony and Samsung doing great stills and video and with Sony having a teriffic lens selection and Samsung going 15fps I think I will have it covered.

The only Nikon I would have left is the fun AW1 for casual water sports imagery.

-Bill

douglaspboyd

I will wait and see before deciding if the A7RII can replace my D800e-- for me it is about the shutter lag problem. I know this is improved, but the A7r was so bad that a small improvement would not be enough.

However, so far it doesn't look like A7rII can replace Hasselblad H3DII-39, because there do not seem to be any leaf shutter lenses available for FE mount (does anyone know of one?). I live in a sunny area (Las Vegas), and outdoor pictures of people are horrible without strong fill-flash and ND filters are a pain.

==Doug

iiiNelson

I will wait and see before deciding if the A7RII can replace my D800e-- for me it is about the shutter lag problem. I know this is improved, but the A7r was so bad that a small improvement would not be enough.

However, so far it doesn't look like A7rII can replace Hasselblad H3DII-39, because there do not seem to be any leaf shutter lenses available for FE mount (does anyone know of one?). I live in a sunny area (Las Vegas), and outdoor pictures of people are horrible without strong fill-flash and ND filters are a pain.

==Doug
Maybe Phottix Indra 500 TTL with HSS would help once the Sony line is available?

douglaspboyd

Maybe Phottix Indra 500 TTL with HSS would help once the Sony line is available?
Yes, this will work. My workaround has been to use a similar flash, Flashpoint 620M which is held by an assistant. However, I have been looking for a more portable solution.

I also tried Sony RX100II and RX10 but you can't see the screen in bright sunlight. I considered RX1, but when you mount a flash in the hot shoe, you loose the accessory viewfinder, and again of course the rear screen is not visible. I had been using Nikon 70s which is fine for 12"x18" prints, but I am now standarized on 20"x30" prints. Hasselblad H with 1/800th sync works for me at the moment. Phase One with 1/1600 sync would be even better, but gets expensive.

==Doug

adsf

I really like the backlit sensor thing (i could live without that sensor shaker. One thing that can have problems and decenter everything. Me not like).

If the price is ok and it is available in my hands until August 25 i might get one. I will stick with my a7r lenses and might sell the "old" R

mazor

I am beginning to suspect that it is not the lossy that may be the culprit in most cases (jaggies, for example). It could be the dichroic dust shaker that is in place.
really, thought the dust shaker only powers on when once during a photo session? Does it engage beteen or within an exposure?

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

A7rII has Electronic First Shutter Curtain. On the A7r the shutter needs to be closed before each exposure. The main reason I skipped the A7r.

With the A7rII the shutter doesn't close before exposure and reaction time can be very short and also without any vibration. Closing the second curtain will cause vibrations but those vibration will have little effect on exposure.

I neither had the A7 nor the A7r, so I have no practical experience. I have the A99 which also has EFSC, it is silent and vibration free, regarding shutter delay I cannot really say.

Best regards
Erik

==Doug

etrigan63

Yes, this will work. My workaround has been to use a similar flash, Flashpoint 620M which is held by an assistant. However, I have been looking for a more portable solution.
==Doug
The Indra 500 TTL light isn't the issue. It's the Odin II for Sony which is still MIA. The Indra can be controlled by the Odin with TTL.

iiiNelson

The Indra 500 TTL light isn't the issue. It's the Odin II for Sony which is still MIA. The Indra can be controlled by the Odin with TTL.
Yeah you're correct but the strobe needs extra parts (Stratos I believe) to trigger the light with just the Odin II. Once Phottix releases a Sony compatible version then it will operate exactly the same as the Canon and Nikon compatible version.

The Phottix Strobe has both Canon and Nikon radios internal to the strobe so they just work out the box with the Odin II.

V

Vivek

really, thought the dust shaker only powers on when once during a photo session? Does it engage beteen or within an exposure?
I did not mean the ultrasonic related stuff of the dust shaker (it isn't active at all during exposures) but the dichroic coatings it has. That is a bit superfluous as the other layers of epoxied glass beneath it do that job (ie., cut UV and IR).

dchew

My plan is to get the a7rII, but not right away. I'm having too much damn fun with the (old) Monochrom lately.

I really wanted to be able to use the same lenses for both (28 Sumarit, APO 50, 90 cron), but I will Probably get a 25 Batis unless this new camera is significantly better with RF wides. Not sure about the 35. Too big for my taste.

I don't know about selling the a7r. I might keep it for others to use on workshops, etc; depends on the market.

Dave

Rawfa

This camera is the camera I´ve always wanted Sony to launch...minus the price :) Too bad it wasn´t announced 6 moth ago so I wouldn´t have sold all my Sony gear for Nikon...now I´ll probably do the reverse (too bad Nikon glass doesn´t work like Canon EOS on the A7RII with full AF). I might try to trade my Nikon stuff for Canon if it´s easier and just stick with Canon glass on the A7RII.

What I reaaally miss about the Sony system is the fast and silent AF on video and most of all the EVF. I had no idea I would miss this so much.
What made me consider come back to Sony: Finally a FF with really fast AF, full AF speed with Canon glass (I can migrate to Sony without having to spend a fortune on FE glass), IBIS, a bunch of new cool video stuff, 4K (I do video and even though clients don´t really know the benefits of 4K, if someone else can offer it they will be one step ahead of you)

To be honest, if the A7RII wasn´t so expensive I would probably sell all my Nikon gear and get 2 of them with Canon lenses. But since it´s not I´ll probably end up with a 6D and the A7RII (unless Sony comes up with a more affordable model)

I´m actually REALLY surprised that Sony would allow Canon lenses to fully use it´s AF system as this may mean MANY PEOPLE will simply use Canon glass...it´s less expensive and high quality. I really hope all future Sony cameras will allow this though. It´s a MASSIVE game changer for me.

tn1krr

I´m actually REALLY surprised that Sony would allow Canon lenses to fully use it´s AF system as this may mean MANY PEOPLE will simply use Canon glass...it´s less expensive and high quality. I really hope all future Sony cameras will allow this though. It´s a MASSIVE game changer for me.
Some AF features/modes are not available with non-FE glass, like the Expand Flex Spot, Lock-on AF and if I'm not mistaken the Eye AF. Shown in the end of this vid and discussed in video description

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp8k0Tpo0y4

The other thing is that we really do not know how the Canon glass works in real world in more challenging conditions: indoor light / tracking etc. Even with native glass there are challenges and 3rd party lenses will not improve things: the lens designs/focus motors are just not optimal for sensor focus. So where the sensor-focus will struggle with the native glass, the adapted glass will struggle even more.

jfirneno

This camera is the camera I´ve always wanted Sony to launch...minus the price :) Too bad it wasn´t announced 6 moth ago so I wouldn´t have sold all my Sony gear for Nikon...now I´ll probably do the reverse (too bad Nikon glass doesn´t work like Canon EOS on the A7RII with full AF). I might try to trade my Nikon stuff for Canon if it´s easier and just stick with Canon glass on the A7RII.
Hello Rawfa:

Even though each generation of A7 cameras is more capable than the last, I think you must remember that autofocus on mirrorless cameras is still not mature. Please wait for this camera to hit the mainstream audience before assuming the AF is as good as advertised. I love my A7S but I know its limitations. For a wedding shooter these limitations can be critical.

Rawfa

Hello Rawfa:

Even though each generation of A7 cameras is more capable than the last, I think you must remember that autofocus on mirrorless cameras is still not mature. Please wait for this camera to hit the mainstream audience before assuming the AF is as good as advertised. I love my A7S but I know its limitations. For a wedding shooter these limitations can be critical.
Absolutely! It took me forever to unload all my Sony gear and I don´t plan to make any rash decisions...nothing wrong in migrating to Canon in the meanwhile so that when the time comes at least I will be able to test the Sony camera with Canon lenses without making any further commitments...though I imagine the A6000 has set the benchmark for Sony AF wise and all new cameras should logicaly have an equaly good or better AF system.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm selling my A7II once I get the new A7rII but that's the end of August by than it will have 30k activations lol

Rawfa

AF on Canon lenses will vary a lot from lens to lens.

Check this out...not that hot at all.