The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII game plan

Jim DE

From the Sony Store USA 8/5/15

Read Europe and Canada is claiming 7/28/15

Haven't heard much else.. The Sony Store one I paid the most attention to because that is where I ordered.

SP if we are hoping for miracles I say please let the CG21 work as it is IMHO the best glass in the CG system as I have owned all of them except the 16mm ;)
Having shot both the G28 and G21 on a modded A7s, they smeared about the same. In fact, I think the G21 behaves a bit better and it's definitely more manageable due to more DOF.

For now, I have very high hope for the A7RII to cope well with these lenses. There is a couple of test shots with the Hologon 16 on the new cam and I can't detect any real smearing. And we all know that lens is beyond hope on the previous gen.

ohnri

It will not come close to the 645Z since the Z has larger photo sites which makes a 51MP FF 35mm camera not as good as the Z for most purposes. I am not talking about internet postings here of course as the print is my gauge of good or not so good.
Depends on usage of course.

The much lighter weight, greater lens selection, IBIS and far smaller size will allow me to take better images with the Sony than the Pentax.

I am also referring to prints.

Some users will, no doubt, have a photography practice that takes full advantage of the Pentax.

But, I would come down on the other side of the equation and say that the Sony will be superior for most purposes.

Just expressing a personal view. YMMV

Take care,

Bill

scho

SP if we are hoping for miracles I say please let the CG21 work as it is IMHO the best glass in the CG system as I have owned all of them except the 16mm ;)
I'm also hoping the 21 does well on the A7RII. My copy is a bit soft on the right side, but otherwise not too bad on the A7R. I've been using the Techart AF adapter, but it is bit buggy and I'll be looking for a better adapter for the A7RII.

Here is a sample I shot today using the 21G on the A7r+Techart adapter.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

My store in Sweden says last week of July.

Best regards
Erik

From the Sony Store USA 8/5/15

Read Europe and Canada is claiming 7/28/15

Haven't heard much else.. The Sony Store one I paid the most attention to because that is where I ordered.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

We have to wait and see to find out. There is much to the argument that the larger pixels (or I would rather say the larger sensor size) should favour the Pentax, but it is also about lenses.

Lloyd Chambers has compared the Pentax 645Z with the 25/4 and the Sony A7r using a Zeiss 21/2.8. In that comparison he found that the Sony A7r consistently outperformed the 645Z. Now, there are a lot of variables into that, lens quality varies a lot, for instance.

On the other hand Lloyd found that the 90/2.8 ED macro is extremely good.

I would expect the Pentax to have somewhat better image quality at base ISO, both cameras use Sony sensors, and the sensor surface of the Pentax is 1.7 times that of the A7rII. Also, it seems that both Nikon and Pentax make better use of Sony's sensors than Sony themselves.

On the plus side, Sony has electronic first curtain and on sensor phase detection AF, which should eliminate the need of AF-calibration. The Sony doesn't have a moving mirror, so camera vibration should be a non issue, while it was a real problem with the original A7r.

Best regards
Erik

It will not come close to the 645Z since the Z has larger photo sites which makes a 51MP FF 35mm camera not as good as the Z for most purposes. I am not talking about internet postings here of course as the print is my gauge of good or not so good.

Jim DE

The last time I tried my 21cg was on the first Nex5 ant with my kip on adapter it would not even mount without cutting the tabs off( I saw shots taken by others with this glass and the tabs cut and the results were so poor I saw no need to even alter my 21 and kept it original and on my ContaxG2. The 28 above f5.6 worked ok on the original Nex5 and was horrible at any aperture on the NEX 7 so it went back in the Contax G2 kit.

Annna T

Having shot both the G28 and G21 on a modded A7s, they smeared about the same. In fact, I think the G21 behaves a bit better and it's definitely more manageable due to more DOF.

For now, I have very high hope for the A7RII to cope well with these lenses. There is a couple of test shots with the Hologon 16 on the new cam and I can't detect any real smearing. And we all know that lens is beyond hope on the previous gen.
I have the 16mm F8 Hologon, the 21mm F2.8, the 28mm F2.8, the 45mm F2 and the 90mm F2.8. But I don't hold much hopes concerning their performance on the new A7rII : I think that the trick of the back lighted sensor is only there to compensate for the higher pixels count. I don't expect that it will significantly improve over what is already available.

Just curious however : the 16mm Hologon rear elements are protruding so much into the body that I don't think it can be modified to accommodate an FE body. Not only is the rear protruding way further than on the 21mm, but it isn't just plastic or metal : it contain a glass element. May be the pictures you saw using it weren't from the Contax G lens ? There is at least another Zeiss Hologon model for another mount than the Contax G. I'm just curious.. This lens has an incredibly low distortion.

Last edited:

Annna T

The last time I tried my 21cg was on the first Nex5 ant with my kip on adapter it would not even mount without cutting the tabs off( I saw shots taken by others with this glass and the tabs cut and the results were so poor I saw no need to even alter my 21 and kept it original and on my ContaxG2. The 28 above f5.6 worked ok on the original Nex5 and was horrible at any aperture on the NEX 7 so it went back in the Contax G2 kit.
Same for me : the 28mm produced so bad results on the A7r that I didn't bother to cut off the tabs of the 21mm. Though the picture Sho just showed above gives me thoughts.

I have two Techart smart adapters and they are very tricky to operate. One creates problems with the 90mm and the other with the 28mm.

Owning those orphaned Zeiss Contax G lenses (and Leica M lenses) pushed me to get into new mirrorless camera system, but in both cases (MFT and A7r) I ended up getting native lenses.

Jim DE

Well I have everything else all ready to go, including even a LCD protector and charged batteries, now all I need is Sony to ship her out ...... hate this part of being a early adopter.... I find the older I get the less I like waiting for anything.

Jim DE

scho, the 21cg sample above: is that a cropped view? Looks like a much narrower FOV than I am used to from that lens on slides. I can see the start of some color shift on the wood deck and trees in the corners and just wondered if you just cropped the smear and color shift off in your normal PP like I used to do with the 28cg and 35cg at times when shot more open.

I ended up using my 45cg and stitching with my NEX cameras to get wider FOV images without the wide angle CG lens issues. I actually ended up liking to stitch using Autopano Giga and horizontal and vertical stitching a shot.

I have the 16mm F8 Hologon, the 21mm F2.8, the 28mm F2.8, the 45mm F2 and the 90mm F2.8. But I don't hold much hopes concerning their performance on the new A7rII : I think that the trick of the back lighted sensor is only there to compensate for the higher pixels count. I don't expect that it will significantly improve over what is already available.

Just curious however : the 16mm Hologon rear elements are protruding so much into the body that I don't think it can be modified to accommodate an FE body. Not only is the rear protruding way further than on the 21mm, but it isn't just plastic or metal : it contain a glass element. May be the pictures you saw using it weren't from the Contax G lens ? There is at least another Zeiss Hologon model for another mount than the Contax G. I'm just curious.. This lens has an incredibly low distortion.
The Hologon 16 rear element is still 4.5 mm away from the film/sensor plane, the rear guards might protrude an additional 1mm. The point is that you can mount a Hologon on any A7 body; however, you can't take pictures on most bodies due to the interference with the mechanical shutter. So far, only A7s users would be able to shoot with the Hologon safely in Silent full e-shutter mode.

Here is what people are able to do so far on the A7s:

??????????7S???????7S + Hologon T* 16mmF8?????? ?????????????????????? | ?????????????????????????????

Here is a picture with the Hologon mounted on the A7RII and a couple of shots this guy took (look at the picture with the guy in blue shirt, almost no smearing that I can see):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58521449@N00/19395197472/in/album-72157655011661809/

Edit: fixed link

Last edited:

scho

scho, the 21cg sample above: is that a cropped view? Looks like a much narrower FOV than I am used to from that lens on slides. I can see the start of some color shift on the wood deck and trees in the corners and just wondered if you just cropped the smear and color shift off in your normal PP like I used to do with the 28cg and 35cg at times when shot more open.

I ended up using my 45cg and stitching with my NEX cameras to get wider FOV images without the wide angle CG lens issues. I actually ended up liking to stitch using Autopano Giga and horizontal and vertical stitching a shot.
Jim,

I was using the older ("Eagle"version) of the DEO Tech adapter which is not 100% compatible with the A7R so it gives me 4800x3200 images instead of 7360x4912. Same aspect ratio, but reduced size and not cropped. Yes, there is some color shift that could be removed by converting to dng and applying a flat field profile in LR.

Jim,

I was using the older ("Eagle"version) of the DEO Tech adapter which is not 100% compatible with the A7R so it gives me 4800x3200 images instead of 7360x4912. Same aspect ratio, but reduced size and not cropped. Yes, there is some color shift that could be removed by converting to dng and applying a flat field profile in LR.
No wonder you don't think it has much problem on your A7R. You can stop it from cropping by setting "APS-C Size Capture" to off. Then you might not be happy with your G21 :D.

Here are some non-cropped shots with the G21 on my A7S.Mod:

And this one is with a stock A7S:

Jim DE

You guys got me thinking.... Anyone know if the original Kipon contaxG to E mount adapter works on the a7x bodies without cropping issues??? It's been with me since my NEX 5 and has worked flawlessly on both 5 and 7 NEX bodies.

scho

No wonder you don't think it has much problem on your A7R. You can stop it from cropping by setting "APS-C Size Capture" to off. Then you might not be happy with your G21 :D.
I agree that the 21 has problems on the A7R. Here is another shot I just tried with an old Fotodiox adapter in full size mode. More vignetting, magenta shift, and some edge smearing. The A7R in APS-C mode with the TechArt adapter gives an image (15 MP) about the same size as your 12.2 MP modded A7S.

You guys got me thinking.... Anyone know if the original Kipon contaxG to E mount adapter works on the a7x bodies without cropping issues??? It's been with me since my NEX 5 and has worked flawlessly on both 5 and 7 NEX bodies.
The last image with rainbows was taken with a Kipon on an A7S. No cropping, no "extra" vignette.

I agree that the 21 has problems on the A7R. Here is another shot I just tried with an old Fotodiox adapter in full size mode. More vignetting, magenta shift, and some edge smearing. The A7R in APS-C mode with the TechArt adapter gives an image (15 MP) about the same size as your 12.2 MP modded A7S.

The problem is, with full FOV of a 21mm, this lens is currently unusable for landscape stuff even at f/16. Even on my modded cam, for full FOV, I have to use f/11 to get no smearing to the very tip of corners. If the A7RII somehow can solve this problem, I would be extremely happy. The G21 and G28 both have gorgeous rendition: a bit muted in contrast compared to modern Zeiss/Leica while being plenty sharp. Low optical distortion is a huge plus on my book as well.