The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII game plan

Jim DE

Great thanks!!! One less added expense avoided. I did do a web search on my LA EA1 adapter and found out that the cropping issue using it with a mount glass on a a7 is fixed by removing 3 screws and the inner baffle. Then in camera you turn off auto apc. Have that done and waiting but I really doubt I will much A mount glass on this body... Maybe my 70-400, 150-600, and tamarin 180 macro if any just for grins.

I see the 16-35, 45cg, and 90cg as the glass most used. In the future I see a 70-200 and possibly the 35 1.4. I see me keeping my A mount glass in my A mount bodies for BIF, action, and flash work. The a7rII will be my hike in lightweight scenic top gun. I make my income in product photography but love scenic's just difficult to make much shooting them around here. Too many vanity amateurs :-(

Knorp

For my type of shooting I guess 32GB or perhaps 64GB is sufficient, but choosing the right type seems to me a tricky exercise as there is an abundance of formats available nowadays.
SDHC/XS Class-10, UHS-1, UHS-2, UHS-3 with speeds ranging from 600x (90 MB/s) up to 2000x (300 MB/s) and with camera manufacturers not very helpful I can't deny feeling a bit puzzled.
Needless to say I like a fast reliable card ...

Link to SD Association: Speed class

So guys, what's the game plan for your A7RII memory card ?

What a stupid mistake to make: apparently a silly question of me ... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyway, I bought a LEXAR SDXC 150 MB/s 64GB Class 10, UHS-II (3) - we'll see how it performs when my camera shows up (29/30th of July).
At least my iMac can handle it - which was one of my concerns - so it's looking good so far.

Brgds.

Amin

I ended up buying the A7II yesterday and love it. Thought about waiting for the A7RII, but none of the upgrades made it worth the price difference to me. The A7R sensor performance, resolution, EVF, AF performance, video, etc etc, all meet my standards for "good enough".

What got me back into the Sony system is the FE35/1.4. That covers most of my needs. For now, I'd be using my OM 90/2 macro for portraits, macro, etc. But possibly will buy the Sony 90 macro or 85 Batis. And maybe a ZF 21mm Distagon to adapt unless a similar native lens comes sooner than later.

Unfortunately, this means I'm living with multiple systems again. Leica M and Micro 4/3 aren't replaceable for me at this time.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I ended up buying the A7II yesterday and love it. Thought about waiting for the A7RII, but none of the upgrades made it worth the price difference to me. The A7R sensor performance, resolution, EVF, AF performance, video, etc etc, all meet my standards for "good enough".

What got me back into the Sony system is the FE35/1.4. That covers most of my needs. For now, I'd be using my OM 90/2 macro for portraits, macro, etc. But possibly will buy the Sony 90 macro or 85 Batis. And maybe a ZF 21mm Distagon to adapt unless a similar native lens comes sooner than later.

Unfortunately, this means I'm living with multiple systems again. Leica M and Micro 4/3 aren't replaceable for me at this time.
Similar dilemma here! I am invested in m43 with EM1 and Pro glass and love this system. Plus use my Nikon Df with some selected Nikkor primes and do not want to leave Nikon as it will stay my major system for OVF.

But the Sony offerings are very attractive WRT features and sensors and video. I want to see what the A7rII can deliver and then maybe I would buy in .... But what I read so far about the A7rII makes me hopeful. Only then I will have 3 systems again, not counting my M system with all my M glass but currently still without any digital body. Makes actually the problem even bigger, as I assume the A7rII would perform great with most of my M lenses :cool:

Annna T

Similar dilemma here! I am invested in m43 with EM1 and Pro glass and love this system. Plus use my Nikon Df with some selected Nikkor primes and do not want to leave Nikon as it will stay my major system for OVF.

But the Sony offerings are very attractive WRT features and sensors and video. I want to see what the A7rII can deliver and then maybe I would buy in .... But what I read so far about the A7rII makes me hopeful. Only then I will have 3 systems again, not counting my M system with all my M glass but currently still without any digital body. Makes actually the problem even bigger, as I assume the A7rII would perform great with most of my M lenses :cool:
I'm in the same boat with three systems : Canon 6D, E-M5II and A7r. I don't really use the Canon anymore and should sell it; after using mirrorless and EVF, I can't go back to OVF anymore. In fact I updated the 5D Classic to the 6D just a few months before the A7 series was launched; had I known, I won't have updated the Canon. I tend to use the A7r more than the E-M5, but I have got so nice MFT lenses that I don't want to get rid of the Olympus. Lately I have used it either while hiking to get a light system, or for reach, with the 40-150mm and 1.4 extender.

I have read your post in the MFT forum and in your shoes I'd rather get an A7 than the Q which has only a fixed lens, I won't get the GX8 either, since a) you already have an MFT body and b) you said you would prefer a FF. If you want to stay small, you can get one of the first bodies (A7, A7r, A7s) and some light lenses like the 28mm F2, 35mm F2.8, the 55mm F1.8, or the Zeiss Loxia (MF only).

Getting an A7(r)II would result in a bigger body.

In any case : the smaller bodies don't do very well with the M lenses especially at shorter focal lengths. Some are OK, but many get smeared magenta corners. The new A7rII will have a new backlighted sensor which may be gentler with older RF lenses. However it has a smaller pixel pitch, due to higher resolution. So it remain to be seen whether the older RF shorter focal lengths will really perform better with it. Everyone is very excited by that new technology, but it was the same with the A7r (which everyone expected to perform better in the corners due to I don't remember which technology), but with respect to M lenses many were deceived.

Personally I'm happy with the two cameras I have now and don't plan to get an A7rII unless its new sensor really does well with the legacy RF glass.

I'm in the same boat with three systems : Canon 6D, E-M5II and A7r. I don't really use the Canon anymore and should sell it; after using mirrorless and EVF, I can't go back to OVF anymore. In fact I updated the 5D Classic to the 6D just a few months before the A7 series was launched; had I known, I won't have updated the Canon. I tend to use the A7r more than the E-M5, but I have got so nice MFT lenses that I don't want to get rid of the Olympus. Lately I have used it either while hiking to get a light system, or for reach, with the 40-150mm and 1.4 extender.

I have read your post in the MFT forum and in your shoes I'd rather get an A7 than the Q which has only a fixed lens, I won't get the GX8 either, since a) you already have an MFT body and b) you said you would prefer a FF. If you want to stay small, you can get one of the first bodies (A7, A7r, A7s) and some light lenses like the 28mm F2, 35mm F2.8, the 55mm F1.8, or the Zeiss Loxia (MF only).

Getting an A7(r)II would result in a bigger body.

In any case : the smaller bodies don't do very well with the M lenses especially at shorter focal lengths. Some are OK, but many get smeared magenta corners. The new A7rII will have a new backlighted sensor which may be gentler with older RF lenses. However it has a smaller pixel pitch, due to higher resolution. So it remain to be seen whether the older RF shorter focal lengths will really perform better with it. Everyone is very excited by that new technology, but it was the same with the A7r (which everyone expected to perform better in the corners due to I don't remember which technology), but with respect to M lenses many were deceived.

Personally I'm happy with the two cameras I have now and don't plan to get an A7rII unless its new sensor really does well with the legacy RF glass.
It was that "gapless microlenses." Back then, most thought that the microlens array responsible for the M lens color cast and smearing problem. If this new BSI design still can't solve the RF glass deal, it might be very hopeful with this upcoming and ready for production tech, QuantumFilm

V

Vivek

Not sure what the bellows are in the demo. :) ;)

I am more inclined towards the APS-C sensors now after starting to use a monochrome NEX-5N. The compactness can not be beat.

I am quite likely to skip this gen of BSI A7RII and wait for the "quantum" film tech sensor in a full frame body.

I do look forward to the A6000 upgrade with a BSI sensor. :)

Silent shutter in a compact APS-C cam will be really useful.

iiiNelson

Not sure what the bellows are in the demo. :) ;)

I am more inclined towards the APS-C sensors now after starting to use a monochrome NEX-5N. The compactness can not be beat.

I am quite likely to skip this gen of BSI A7RII and wait for the "quantum" film tech sensor in a full frame body.

I do look forward to the A6000 upgrade with a BSI sensor. :)

Silent shutter in a compact APS-C cam will be really useful.
I lean towards agreeing that the APS-C bodies (or Micro 4/3 cameras) are a better fit for those put off by size of some FF lenses/bodies. How's you monochrome treating you though?

V

Vivek

Very well, Tre. :)

I have the NEX5NM, the Leica MM and the A7s with me in India now with an assortment of lenses.

The most used of all is the NEX-5NM with an E 16/2.8. :bugeyes:

Knorp

Meanwhile, can you bench to see how fast the card really goes? You can use CrystalDiskMark tool here.
Hi Sam,

as ChristalDiskMark seems to be a Windows-only utility, I had to look for a Mac program and found this: DiskSpeedTest by Blackmagic Design.
The tests show that I get about 59 MB/s write and 87 MB/s Read. Not very impressive, but then it could be that my iMac's internal card-reader is the limiting factor.
As that internal card-reader is positioned at the back, it's not very convenient anyway, so I thought it about time to order an external Lexar USB 3.0 card-reader.

Anyone else tried benchmarking his SD cards ?

All the best.

Knorp

His first point: "• Viewfinder - Terrfic, much bigger then the previous versions and really enjoyable in use." Unless I missed something, doesn't it have the same viewfinder its predecessors?
I think it's different, not sure about the 'much bigger', though.
The current is 0.71x while the new is 0.78x according to the Sony website.

SamSS

Hi Sam,

as ChristalDiskMark seems to be a Windows-only utility, I had to look for a Mac program and found this: DiskSpeedTest by Blackmagic Design.
The tests show that I get about 59 MB/s write and 87 MB/s Read. Not very impressive, but then it could be that my iMac's internal card-reader is the limiting factor.
As that internal card-reader is positioned at the back, it's not very convenient anyway, so I thought it about time to order an external Lexar USB 3.0 card-reader.

Anyone else tried benchmarking his SD cards ?

All the best.
If you need an external reader, may I recommend the Kingston MobileLite G4 UHS-II FCR-MLG4? - LINK
It's very well build, compact, high speed reader and under $10.
It's limited testing apps for Mac but SpeedDisk is fine.

This is an example of a PNY Elite Performance 64GB SDXC UHS-1 which I've tested with various apps last year in April when first introduced. It's always good know what I actually paid for against MFG claims vs price worth when it comes to SSD and memory card.

Link

Link

philip_pj

The VF in Sony's later cameras has undergone steady improvement, each model is better than the last. Applies to RX1-a99-a7(r). That all happened quietly, but now Sony went all out and made it very large and (I think) significantly, coated it with T* coatings. Zeiss lenses will feel right at home, nestled beneath the EVF.

Sony know this VF issue and 'AF for EOS' are the critical factors in attracting more DSLR users to what we euphemistically call 'the dark side'.

Leonard Cohen had it right as to how the photo industry sees Sony:

"Ah you loved me as a loser, but now you're worried that I just might win
You know the way to stop me, but you don't have the discipline
How many nights I prayed for this, to let my work begin
First we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin."

LOL.