The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Jesus here we go again...

V

Vivek

It's one thing to make an item genuinely luxurious, and another to take an existing product and slap a wooden grip on it. Like the difference between a Porsche and some trashy Ford spruced up with spinning chrome rims, neon lights and ghetto blasters.

The few cameras that Leica does rebrand have more work done on them than what Hasselblad is doing, which is a direct copy/paste with no effort to improve the underlying system, and in some cases make it worse.

So to rephrase what I said, Leica doesn't make items uselessly luxurious for the sake of it, but they are 100% luxury products. The money simply goes into impeccable engineering rather than flashy appearances... the Leica M is not really the best looking camera IMO. Leica does produce limited edition cameras, who's prices are bonkers even by their standards, but it in no way influences or detracts from the mainline product. Even worse, the Leica limited sets and one-offs are often auctioned for charity purposes, while the Hasselblads are just cash grabs.
Can not disagree more on this. The lines are blurred (like Apple watch).

The M60 "concept camera". :grin:

Some apparently famous musician camera with roughened bodice. :ROTFL:

Amusing but useless POS.

Can not disagree more on this. The lines are blurred (like Apple watch).

The M60 "concept camera". :grin:

Some apparently famous musician camera with roughened bodice. :ROTFL:

Amusing but useless POS.
I agree about the Apple watch and M60. The M60 isn't a mainline product though, Leica has only three "real" cameras, the M240, 246 and S. The M240 and S are both objectively good cameras with no pompous fluff on them, while everything else Leica makes doesn't matter or is even a part of this discussion.

Hasselblad doesn't get a free pass for making overpriced junk because it's not theirs, if Sony released the same overpriced camera with their own branding on it, no one would've batted an eye.

Stefan Steib

Based on the "old" Sony A7R which is now on Sale until the A7RII comes out......
Are the people at Hasselblad Masochists ? Do they like to loose money ?

???

Who buys this ???

V

Vivek

There was a lucrative boutique market in China, until recently. The corruption crack down there has severely impacted all these suckers.

hcubell

"I photographed Clint Eastwood with my Hasselblad and later photographed him while he was being interviewed, this time using a 35mm-style DSLR camera because I was working reportage-style. He stopped the interview, smiled and said to me: “Didn’t you have a real camera before? What happened?”" — Arne Weychardt

I find this to be much more visually attractive than any of that branded junk:

This is what the Jetsons would use if they had a camera.

hcubell

Based on the "old" Sony A7R which is now on Sale until the A7RII comes out......

???

Who buys this ???
I don't know, but I sure hope they buy a lot of it. I really want Hasselblad to stick around.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

???

Who buys this ???
David Beckham, Sheik Ibn al hatschi blue in the face, Sarah Palin "It's a very expensive shoehorn isn't it? I love it!" and in general the minuscule fraction of people globally who were distributed productivity gains and wealth increase with by force of the neo-liberal social engineers.

pheeew

iiiNelson

That was a $12,000 camera! Instant discount is now $8,000. Can you imagine those who did buy one at $12,000?
Yeah I can imagine those who paid $12K for the Sony A99 + 24-70 lens and one quote comes to mind - "a fool and their money are quickly separated."